Fern patterns for ovulation & infertility tests

kellysomer

Reaction score
Hi as i have now been TTC with my darling fiance for over 14 months i am thinking of doing the fern test as well as charting my CM and BBT. Does anyone have any experience of the little mircoscopes that you get for this and think they are any good? Should i try it, the only thing that worries me about it is that i'll become even more obsessed with BDing and TTC! Anyone know any good websites or forums to look inot this?

Also how long should i wait before contacting the docs again, i had blood tests two months ago that were perfectly normal for all hormones and liver functions etc. I dont want to bug the doc as she is so nice but how long will they make us wait before they will test my fiances sperm etc and perhaps take the next step in investigations on me i am nearly 24 and OH is 30. Are we too young?

Also do you think the depo could still be affecting me 14 months on?

All comments gratefully received!!!! 8) :D :) :roll:

Hi kelly

I wish I had some solid advice for you.

You seem to be healthy and since your fiance has already a son (right?) his sperm should be ok too. You are both young and fertile. I keep reading about couples who finally conceived when they just stopped thinking and obsessing about it and let nature take its course. (hard, I know)

I haven't heard much about these microscopes, do they identify if CM is fertile or not? It seems a lot of work, do you really wanna go down that road and take all the fun away?

Sorry maybe I am in no place to talk, 14 months is a long time. You must be feeling so frustrated.

Have you used ovulation kits? They're easy to use...

Good luck hun. Keep you spirit up

xxx

Hi,

I tried using on of those saliva test microscopes and to be honest I did not find it very user friendly.
You had to rotate the end of it to get the lens in focus which was very fiddly whilst trying to hold it to your eye.
Then when I did get it tuned in it took me months to see the fern like patten. I just didn't find it that clear or distinctive to read the results.

Hello Kelly

I have been ttc 11 months and am going to make an appointment with my dr the week after next, (I am off work for the week!) I believe that the doctor likes you to have been trying for 12 months before beginning to test. I have also been told that if you really play on it, 'it's stressing me, it's all I can think of, it upsets me seeing pregnant ladies etc etc - which in my case is all true!!!) they are far more likely to take it seriously. I haven't heard of the fern tests so can't comment about them, but can certainly sympathise with your long wait. I wish you luck in trying.

Xxx

Hey Kelly,

You poor chicken.

My husband and I came off contraception in March '04. At that stage we were still engaged and we took the thought that, if it happens, it happens. Now after a year of this, it does get a bit boring.....you end up doing pregnancy tests before your period is due hoping that this time, it has come up positive.

Soooo many of our friends had been through nightmares trying to conceive - 2 ended up going on IVF and numerous have had miscarriages. So this makes you think, well yep, mine's not going to be so easy either.

So a year passed in March this year. In April we headed out to Oz to get married (I'm Aussie) and honeymoon in Thailand before returning home - so it was a nice month off work and enjoying the sun and each other in relaxed environments.

As soon as we got back, we decided to really make a go at trying. Ovulation Tests combined with charting your temperature. As soon as I saw my temp rising, I got up, did an OT and it said go for it - so we did morning and night for 2 days.

Could not believe it when I discovered I was pregnant! Honestly, I don't think we would have done it without the charts at OT test. If we didn't we could have missed the right time by a day.....

So, off to Boots for you young lady - Clear Blue OT Test (approx £20); and Boots own-brand Fertility Temp Kit with thermometer (I think that was £20 as well).....as far as sperm testing - you can buy these off the internet. A friend of mine did this and it works as good as the doctors.

Keep us posted,

Sass
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27