Feeling rubbish

Kim

Reaction score
I was so pleased to see my little one on the scan yesterday and to learn everything was ok, but now my happiness is tinged becuase I feel so ill. I have a constant unbearable headache which I've had since yesterday lunch time, I feel sick almost to the point of being sick, and I have no energy whatsoever. All I've done since yesterday afernoon is sleep. Does this sound normal or could I be coming down with something? Also can I take a couple of normal strength paracetamol just to take the edge off the headache?

Hi Kim

Not entirely sure if you can but i have been takin odd paracetamol whenever ive been getting headaches (quite often too!). Otherwise i just wouldnt been able to function they have been that bad!

drink plenty fluids chick also.

Could always give nhs direct a call if your really cautious :? but yes i have taken them. I only took one though which did the trick.

sorry if that hasnt been much help!

sarah

Hi Sarah

Thanks for the advice, it was a big help knowing I'm not the only one so I took 2 paracetamol and it's just about bearable now. I'm also wearing one of those cool and soothe patches it's ace!! I've had it on since 11am!! Feeling tons better now, thanks again.

How are you doing?

Hi Kim

When I first fell pg I had a migraine and my bf called the NHS hotline. I spoke to the lady and she had to go through certain questions with me to rule out anything sinister then when she was happy I only had a migraine she said it was fine to take 2 paracetamol every 4 hours but no more than 8 in 24 hours. I have also read in various magazines that paracetamol are safe but obviously should only be taken if absolutely necessary.

As for all your other symptoms they all sound the same as my symptoms from about week 8 through to week 16. Some days I couldn't even get up my stairs without stopping and having a break. I also felt so tired that I couldn't concentrate and so sick that I couldn't go out. I kept reading that it would stop at about 16 weeks for most women but I couldn't imagine ever feeling better again but honestly when I hit 16 weeks it was like a dark cloud had been lifted and I felt tons better.

I would also advise you to pop to your GP's and let them take your blood pressure as mine was low and that's why I was feeling tired and getting headaches. I was also seeing stars alot when I stood up from lying or sitting and my midwife told me thats what happens when you have low blood pressure. Apparently low blood pressure in early pregnancy is normal as your body naturally lowers your blood pressure in preparation for later in pregnancy when it naturally goes up. This lowering ensures the rise isn't dangerously high when it happens.

Anyway sorry if I have bored you. I will stop now lol

Take care and I hope you feel better soon :)

That's great advice thank you I am going to the doctors tomorrow so I will mention my blood pressure. I also think I am coming down with tonsilitis which really scares me as I doubt I will be allowed antibiotics??

Hi again

Please dont take my word for it as i'm not 100% sure but one of my friends was poorly last year whilst she was pregnant and I'm pretty sure she had a very low dose of antibiotics. I can't quite remember. You'll find out anyway when you go to the Dr's.

I hope all goes well for you and if you get worried before you see the doctor it might be worthwhile taking your temperature. A high temperature usually indicates a virus or infection (Tonsilitus maybe) and then you know that you should take paracetamol as they reduce temperature.

Let us know how you get on

:)

This site is fantastic.

Do you know why?

I had a very severe migraine yesterday that was just getting worse and worse. It was really pounding.

I ended up ringing up the emergency number I was given by my midwife in tears because I felt so helpless. I feel that I can say that on here because I know you won't laugh at me (like a woman at work just did, I almost cried!). Can you believe it.

Anyway, the nurse on the phone said I could take two paracetamols. I was so relieved I cannot tell you. At the point of talking to her I was crawling around on my hands and knees with a throbbing head.

I took them and went to bed and in about half an hour the relief started coming. Phew!!!!!!!!!

She told me it was the hormones and that she had a very bad headache when she hit eight weeks of her prgnancy.

What a relief. It turns out you can have up to eight in a day if you are really suffering. Obviously best not to make a habit out of it.

And now I have logged onto here and somebody else had the very same thing. I should have logged on here first and will in future.

A big thank you to this site for being somewhere that I can air my worries, with total confidence that no-one will laugh in my face when I have a little trauma.

:)

Glad you feel better Sarah it's awful isn't it when you don't know what you can take, and it always happens over the weekend!!

It's great to come on here and share worries.

Thanks so much for your reply. You are the first person (other than the nurse who I spoke to on the phone) that has been kind to me about my headache, and not just made some wise-crack remark about how it is only going to get worse and to stop making a fuss. I realise that things will get a lot more interesting, but it was still a trauma anyway!

Thanks for being sympathetic

:D

I'll give you a great tip - have you seen those cool & soothe patches for migranes? They're a godsend, I don't know how I would have got through Saturday without them. I truly understand what it's like I was on the verge of a mental breakdown with my headache so don't feel silly at all!!

Sorry maybe I didn't read right but just incase (usualy headache clouding mind and have lost my 4head stuff - again!) but you CAN take nti biotics in pregnancy - I did at 9 weeks for a kidney/gall bladder inflamationand I was on quite a strong dose. they said it should be fine. Time will tell when babe is born I guess though! Scares me to death to think I could be harming my baby with anything. :(

Hi

Luckily I didn't need antibiotics, I was told to have paracetamol and lots of fluids and rest, but I haven't needed the paracetamols (fingers crossed). I did a bit of research on the web about antibiotics and apparantly there are certains ones that you can take and others which may be harmful, but the doc will know which is which. Feeling a lot better now though so hopefully wont need any at all.

Seen the midwife today so things are really moving along now, next appointment with her will be at 16 weeks and I will get to hear the heartbeat. I must say though, she didn't tell me anything I hadn't already found out from this forum!!

Well...let's see...

I was given a course of ampicillin at only 6 weeks because I was bitten by a bat. Of course, I've had rabies shots too but the baby's okay because we saw the little bean on an early scan I had last week due to some spotting. (my first three months have been very active)

As for headaches, I suffered from very infrequent migraines (about once a year) before I got pregnant. I've had two in the last ten weeks! Yesterday I was so bad I lay in a darkened room with a cold compress on my head ( it worked for a while) and was up at the toilet dry heaving for a full ten minutes at one stage. Couldn't even stomach weak tea. A massage for your temples is very soothing...especially if he digs his fingers in just hard enough...I think it relieves pressure.

I heard somewhere too that migraines are caused by the dilation of blood vessels in the brain and that if you take a cold shower (in that state, it might be hard) the blood vessels contract and the headache is soothed for a time at least.

The headache subsided after a couple of hours but my nausea is markedly worse today and I feel really crap.

I read that "it is one of the ironies of pregnancy that those who suffer from headaches often get worse and those who never get headaches get them too - and that you can't take anything for them". I think it was in "What to expect when you're expecting"..an excellent book.

I have been warned by my doctor to avoid paracetamol like the plague...apparently it's hard on the liver and so probably on the baby's as well. Sorry if that's worried you. I was frightened yesterday too and my husband was on the point of calling the casualty department because he'd never seen me so ill.

Hope some of that was some help to somebody!

Sue

My doctor told me this morning that paracetamol was safe and to avoid anything else, ie ibuprofen, aspirin etc. I'm confused now... :?

So paracetamol aren't safe? Why dont doctors advise the same things? I'm sure some of them do it as a matter of personnal opinion rather than what they have been taught when training to be a doctor in the first place. I think we really should try and clear this up once and for all because I don't know about you guys but I am gonna be worried the next time I need to take paracemtamol.

I'll trawl the net and see what I can find out.

:) Lou

Well I can normally soothe a headache just by going to bed, but on sunday things were unbareable and in the end I felt as though I had no choice. (I was very stressed, very tearful, my blood was pounding, and decided that this was probably worse for the baby)
It was a sister at my local maternity ward that told me to take the paracetamol, and I trusted her judgement. However I did feel guilty taking them and I will only be taking them when experiencing a massively bad migraine like on sunday.
Fortunately for me, I hardly ever get them, so I shouldn't really need to take anymore pills. fingers crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back