Feeling poorly.....

Rosieroo

Reaction score
Tuesday I went to see my midwife and she checked my urine and blood pressure and all was ok. I've been feeling very tired lately and also my stomach has been uncomfortable under my bump whenever I walk, move, climb the stairs anything.
Tuesday night I turned in bed and get a awful pain in my right hand side, Wednesday and Wednesday night my stomach hurts real bad (I can't sit down) and the pain goes right through to my back. I'm in tears and I think about calling the midwife. Thursday (yesterday) I wake up with a migraine with flashing lights which is very unusual for me. It feels like someone has hammered the side of my head. Also feel really sick.
Page my midwife, an hour later, no answer. So I call the delivery suite at my local hospital and speak to a midwife. She says it sounds like a UTI and to get down to my docs. So I go down and they get me in straight away with the nurse. A urine sample confirms that I have protein and white blood cells in my wee and she thinks that it's a UTI and the headache and neausa are a sign of the infection. My blood pressure was 100/64 and when my midwife took it 2 days earlier it was 110/60, so at least it's low rather than high.

Spent all day yesterday in bed, asleep. Just woken up this morning and my headache has gone, but my belly is so tender if I move.

Have been having plenty of movement from baby though, which is a relief.

My concern is.

A. Why didn't the midwife pick up the protein in my urine on Tuesday?
B. Why didn't she answer my page and call me back. I still haven't heard anything.
C. Is it normal to feel this sore and tender with a UTI? My stomach feels like someone has used it as a trampoline.

Hello

You poor thing that sounds horrible.

I've had a similar thing this week and I had a migraine too so that's normal.

I think it's awful your midwife didn't contact you and I would call her to discuss it.

Hope you feel better soon
Louise

Oh my god! That is really bad that your midwife has not got intouch. Ive had severe headaches but no flashing lights so i was sent away being told it was normal. I hope you are ok and feel better soon x x x x

Hi rosieroo,
On my maternety notes, it shows that on one of my urine tests they found protine, but they nver did anything about it, next check up it was back to normal, I think on its own its nothing to worry about, unless you also have a high blood pressure, or are complaining of pain/headaches etc they dont do anything about it, as you need more than one symptom for it to be a worry, your midwife probably didnt say anything at the time, cause other than that you were fine and she didnt want to cause you any un nessasary worry. Your midwife may have been told that your GP is dealing with hence not calling.
I hope its getting sorted and your feeling a bit better now hun.

xx

thats terrible!

hope you feel better soon

xx

Hi hon, sorry you're poorly sick. I don't understand your midwife didn't get back intouch. She might not have picked it up as sometimes they can be quite tough to detect. I had a bad one and it wasn't until I had blood in my urine that it was finally picked up. I took in morning wee so it would be the most concentrated. I was so unprepared to how bad a UTI made me feel, I really ached and hurt, plus had no energy and felt like I had been run over 100x. Glad it has been picked up now, just drink tons of water. I found it helful to have a 2 litre bottle with me at all times so I kept drinking. Are you on antibiotics?? Hope you feel better soon xxxxx

Hi Rosieroo

I have a UTI at the moment and the only symptom I have is the pain in the abdomen bit, and there was traces of blood in my urine. I am on antibiotics. I hope you feel better soon. :D

Well was feeling really poorly again so phoned the hospital and they asked me to go down and be assessed. They were really lovely and are going to sort out the problems with my midwife, she should've responded to my page. Apparently I am not the first to complain and they're trying to get something done about her.
My sample yesterday came back negative for a UTI, but my sample today still had white blood cells in it so it appears I am fighting off an infection somewhere, my pulse was also high at 121 which would indicate my body fighting something. They took bloods and other 'stuff' : :oops: :shock: to see what that shows and said it is still possible that I have a UTI.

So carrying on with the antibiotics and will find out next week the results of the tests today.

sorry, but could I ask what a UTI is, please and what it implies for the baby????

I have had quite severe pains on one side of my tummy, linked to back pains, and have been wondering if there was anything wrong!

sorry if I sound stupid...well, I might be :oops:

Anyway, whatever it is, I hope you feel better soon!!!!!

Take care,

Mel xx

A UTI is a urinary tract infection. Pregnant gals are more prone to these due to the fact urine doesn't pass through the uretha as well and this can cause a build up of bacteria. If untreated it can spread to the kidneys (which I have been assured is very painful), and a very bad infection could cause probs during pregnancy.

Melhoney, I had cramps in my tummy - worse than usual and it spread to my back. If you think you have one see your doctor. As I said earlier I took in a sample of morning wee as no-one had picked it up and I was convinced I had one. It turned out that I did, and once I was on antibiotics it cleared up quickly. I have a link to more info about UTI's.

http://familydoctor.org/497.xml

Hope you, Kim and rosieroo are feeling much better soon xxxx

Oh i hope you feel better soon! I know UTI's can totally take it out of you. make sure you get plenty of rest.

I had a UTI earier on in my pregnancy and i woke up in the night with terrible pains which led to vomiting and a high temperature. I was advised to go to the hospital and they confirmed that it was a water infection and gave me medication. After a week or so i was still having pain and they gave me another course of tablets to take.

Take Care,

Vicky x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back