Feeding your 8 week old

Kim

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm a bit confused. I have been feeding Rubie on demand, which on a typical day would be

7am - 6oz
11:30 - 6oz
6pm - 6oz
9pm - 6oz
4am - 6oz

But we went away for the weekend and she started waking an extra time, at about 1 or 2am. This continued after we were home so I mentioned it to the HV. She commented on the long gap in the day 11:30am - 6pm where she doesn't feed ans said we need to shift this to the night so she will sleep through or at least wake less. She suggested I try to feed Rubie every 4 hous in the day so that she gets the magority of her milk in the daytime and may not wake for it in the night.

I tried this yesterday (although trying to wake her mid afternoon was a nightmare) and gave her 5 bottles during the day. I also tried putting her to bed on her own instead of letting her fall asleep downstairs then carrying her up with me. But she still woke at 2am and guzzled 5oz.

Where did I go wrong??

How much and how often does your 8 week old feed?

im so glad you posted this, Coby is the same, altho hes on 5oz bottles, he will skip a feed in the afternoon coz he sleeps well, i need to swap this around so that he sleeps well at night but if i wake him in the day it makes no diffrence. its frustrating so if you dont mind i will be watching this thread for advice too

xxx

No problem I'm glad she's not the only one lol

Your lucky Rubie can take 6oz's, I tried putting Kai up to 5oz's and it didn't work as he was sick, too much for his tummy. And we are giving him 8 feeds atm, tried cutting it down to 7 and it just wouldn't work. And he isn't small either, he is over 11lbs now.

I really want to get Kai sleeping longer in the night, but it just isn't working, he sleeps a bit in the day and whenever we go out he sleeps. He was fed at 1 last night and was awake at 3, just gave him his dummy and that worked ok, same at 4 and put him in the bed with us and then fed him at 5.30. We thought about trying this gradually, having him sleep 6 hours from midnight to 6 and even that didn't work:(

We know someone with a baby who is 9 months now and they are still being fed every 3 hours, would hate that to happen :(

Aimee is 11 weeks now and she has gone from sleeping all night to waking up for 2 feeds in the night. She is a routine and goes bed eveynight at 10 when she just falls asleep. We give her a feed in her sleep but it doesn't help she still wakes up at 1am and 5 am for a feed! She feeds every 3-4 hours all day but she will only take 4-5oz so your lucky you can get 6oz down her! Sorry I couldn't offer any advice, I could do with some myself cos I haven't a clue how to get her sleeping all night again.

If you're trying to change a routine it can take up to a week to change things. I'd keep going with the midday feed and eventually her body will realise that she's getting enough food during the day and that she doesn't need an extra extra night feed.

As for waking her during the day it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation because if she sleeps long hours during the day she'll be active at night and then want to sleep during the day. You might just have tp put up with a few grumpy days when you wake her more during the day but if you do his she'll then sleep at night.

It might seem a bit tough at the time but even my HV who is usually anti-routine said that after 6 weeks you want to start out putting in a routine that you can all live with and that while they're still very young it's a lot easier than a few months down the road.

Good luck :)
++++

Well today has been a whole new ball game!! She has decided that she now wants 4oz every 3 hours, so today she has had

7am - 4oz
10am - 4oz
1pm - 4oz
4pm - 4oz

She is sleeping now so I don't want to wake her becuase she has been screaming all day. However I know if she is only taking 4oz she will need at least anither 2 feeds before bed. Gosh this is so confusing!! :?

I don't know what to do now...

when thomas has formula he only drinks 3 oz and then ask for food an hour later which is breastfeeding. i would like him to take more from the bottle but he will chew the teat and scream for the breast :cry: this weaning process off the breast makes him very unhappy :cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back