Feeding schedule at 4 months - solids

Stupidred

Reaction score
Hi,

For reasons I won't discuss and which are noone elses business... My lo has been on 1 bowl of baby rice a day since 17 weeks. This week she has been on 1 bowl of porridge in the morning and 1 in the late afternoon. Both bowls are made using 2 tsp porridge and 6 tsp boiled water. She still has her regular feeds of milk both breast and formula.

Has anyone else weaned at 4/5 months and can give me an idea of your feeding schedules. I'm going to introduce some veggies soon and want to compare notes.

Also, anyone giving me the run down on no weaning before 6 months and listing your research and cons of what I'm doing, I will likely not read or respond. My choices are, as above, not up for discussion.

Last edited:
I weaned my 1st son at 17 weeks. He was a really hungry baby and milk didn't satisfy him. My HV advised adding solids. I just gave him porridge in a morning and carried on with milk for the rest of day. After a week or son I introduced dinner then followed his lead. He didn't drop the bottle till 1 year. Think my routine was 8oz bottle in a morn the few spoons of porridge 11am bottle of 6oz dinner veg ect then 6 oz afternoon bottle tea then a bedtime bottle of 8oz I added a pudding after few weeks. My youngest is 6months and he's only just started on solids and iv followed the same routine. Hope this helps

I was 100% against weaning before 6 months and I'm not ashamed to say that I have done a complete 180 and am following hv advice to wean early.

Ds2 is much like his brother in that he is a bottomless pit, I have giving him smushed up potato, broccoli and cauliflower for less than a week and he's about to go onto 3 meals a day after upping to 2 a few days ago. He has all the signs of being ready and he was so desperately hungry, my booby milk just wasn't filling him :(

Again, on hv advice I started with lunch as it's the biggest meal of the day for weaning babies. He had potato mixed with my milk and I offer it around 11am to fit in with ds1 and his lunch, so there's a routine of them eating together. Within 2 days I added broccoli and cauliflower as he still didn't seem full.

The following day we added dinner in, again pots, broc, cauli, as he was very obviously hungry in the evening. He has dinner around 5pm when we all have dinner, again to begin that routine of eating as a family.

Tomorrow he will have breakfast as he is still very hungry in the mornings.

All of this is following hv advice, putting him onto 3 meals at this age isn't something I'd personally do without professional monitoring.

Last edited:
We haven't weaned at 4 months but we've just followed the lead with both ours. My lg is still breastfed but this is our routine 6/7am boob, 8 breakfast, 11 boob, 12 lunch, 2 boob, 4.30 tea, 6pm boob and bed. Some days she will only have one feed in the day at 2. She made very clear when she was ready for more food. She ended up on 3 meals very quickly, hope this helps.

I remember when I first started lurking on here and a woman posted about wanting to wean at 5 months and could anyone recommend any books (I think that was it anyway) and all she got bar one was comments about how she shouldn't be weaning early and even saying she didn't know her own child properly, it was threads like that that made me lurk so log instead of comment

Anyway. I weaned at 5 months and like above just followed my Lo's lead. She took to porridge straight away so I only waited a couple of days before introducing some fruit at lunchtime, just a couple of spoons and then a day or two later the same at dinner. At this point I was just using fruit as I didn't want to waste any but once she was eating enough so that none would be wasted I started introducing sweet potato, and the swede and carrots all blended up. Once she hit 6 months I started giving her banana slices and started mashing rather than blending.

She's 8 months now and loves loves loves her food

Thanks, she took to it straight away she loves her porridge and I'm trying to make sure she still has her milk every 3-4 hours.

I'll be making my own veggies but tried her with an ellas kitchen apple puree pouch earlier. Reckon she would have eaten it all if I'd let her but she had 3 spoons and the rest is saved for tomorrow.

Like I said, the choice is mine and I too saw a post on netmums with similar replies. Someone asked the question and was jumped on by loads of mums sharing their research and opinions saying that the mum was a bad one. This mum ended up explaining herself and trying to justify herself for even considering weaning.

I started at 4 and half months as my lg was clearly ready! I started with porridge, then mixed in some pear. Then went into veg, introducing a new one every couple of days to ensure she was ok with them. Now at 6 and half months, I mash up some chicken or fish with some veg. She loves the Ella's kitchen pouches which I use when out and about, don't know what but she loves them more than anything else!! She's not keen on proper solid foods but just gave some little cheese pieces and she was ok, just takes practise I guess!

I started weaning at 17 weeks and my lg is now 21 weeks and has 7oz bottle first thing porridge with fruit at 11, bottle around 12, bottle at 4, veg at 6 then bottle and bed for 7-7.30

Hi I also started weaning at 4 months as my lg had such bad reflux I was advised by both doctors and hv to start. I didn't start with porridge but pureed veggies at lunch. I'd always offer it half hour before her feed so that she was hungry but had patience to try it. I gradually increased this feed until she didn't want milk afterwards. Once she was having a full veggie lunch after a few weeks I introduced fruit puree at breakfast which I gradually morphed into porridge, she still has extra fruit in it. Then after a week I introduced different veggies at the 4pm feed. Once she turned six months I introduced finger foods which she loves at lunchtime or I'd introduce new foods like meats and fish etc and just have veggies at 4pm as she's tired and doesn't have patience. At lunch I always give her fruit afterwards and she gets really excited when she sees it.

I've found that with weaning do what feels right for u and ur lo. You will find the way which works best for you. Good luck x

We started off on veggies/purée at 4 months (hated and still hates rice)after a few weeks we added porridge for breakfast then at s out 5 months added more puree 4:30pm. He still had all his milk feeds

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tchotchke
Back