Fast let down

*glow*

Reaction score
Hi I am 4 weeks in to EBF and have developed a fast let down in past few days.

My Lo is choking then full of wind so it's quite stressful.

All the advice I can find says express just before you feed but this isn't working.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Does it correct itself? Any advice pls? Thank you x

It will adjust over time plus baby will get better at coping with it. My LO had issues latching so my initial let down would usually have sprayed everywhere else by the time she got to feeding, lol. Will yours let you take them off after the first suckle and use a muslin over to catch the stronger let down before putting them back on?

Hi I am 4 weeks in to EBF and have developed a fast let down in past few days.

My Lo is choking then full of wind so it's quite stressful.

All the advice I can find says express just before you feed but this isn't working.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Does it correct itself? Any advice pls? Thank you x

Expressing before a feed could make the problem worse as it will cause you to produce more milk. (Fast let down at 4 weeks is often the result of ovesupply. It will settle eventually as your body gets used to demand)

When s/he feeds, after a couple of seconds unlatch and let the milk spurt out (into a towel or muslin cloth or collect it if you like) and then put LO back on when the flow of milk slows.

Try feeding LO semi reclined with baby 'on top' so gravity works against the flow of milk (I think if you google "laid back breastfeeding" it should bring up something relevant).

Last edited:
Really interesting thank you.

I couldn't work out why it's been no problem BF until now.

I agree about the pumping, last night I fed off the offending side and still woke engorged on that side, completely confused me but suggestion is its oversupply....

I haven't managed to catch it but I do latch off then back on, I only know it's happening when the choking starts.

It's been stressful! X

It should start to improve, it's just getting used to how much your baby needs, and as they get older they'll get better at controlling the flow as well :)

I am 5 months into breastfeeding and still have a fast letdown. Most feeds still spray! My lb has learnt to control it better but he has tongue tie so it's been a bit of a battle. My advice would be contact a lactarion consultant (not peer-to-peer as you need someone trained in all things boob) to discuss block feeding. I block feed for 6 hours per side to help reduce the speed/severity of the let down but am doing so under guidance to stop supply issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back