famous cartoonist's miscarriage - bit upsetting....

Iwant3

Reaction score
This was on the miscarriage associations facebook page!

Kate Evans is a cartoonist and author. She suffered from recurrent miscarriages over eight years, before having two children. We provide here a link to the cartoon (a series of images) about her and her partner's experience of our second miscarriage.

PLEASE NOTE: This is a strong graphic portrayal of miscarriage, and some readers might find it upsetting

http://www.cartoonkate.co.uk/unravelling/

Hmmmmm. It's marmite. I personally don't like it.

X

Thanks for posting. She's a talented cartoonist. It is very graphic, but poignant. xx

Mmmm, I didn't like it, far too graphic for my taste

I know what you mean - i just followed the link from the facebook page and scrolled down and down and I was staring at it with so much concentration that I wasn't aware of anything around me! I just stared at it, I felt very strange and shocked - but it is exactly what happens - but seeing it in pictures or as a cartoon is just a 'strange feeling'!

I was very touched by it. She is very talented and it must be so therapeutic to be able to express yourself in such a way. I guess everyone responds to things in different ways, some respond well to visual and for others it's too much information. I was touched by her knitting a blanket but worrying about what people thought.

Oh my it's had me in tears, especially the knitted blanket part. Graphic and upsetting but probably therapeutic for the artist x

I know people will see it differently but many ladies on here tell their stories in this section and often give graphic detail as to what happened. It's such a release.

I agree, it is such a release to be able to come on here and spill the details. I was ok with it until I saw her on the toilet with her fandango out and, personally, that was just too graphic for me.

I can see what you are saying. Having thought about it more, I wasn't quite fair in comparing a persons detailed story to a graphic cartoon. I think when you read about it, you aren't picturing a bleeding fandango but trying to empathise with how the person was/is feeling. I must admit the cartoon is "out there" in my opinion and I think I appreciated it because I love adult animation and adult comic books.

It kind of annoyed me to be honest, it's too "attention seeking" for me.

I feel it's designed to be provocative and not provocative because it was an out pouring of grief iykwim?

I'm not offended, having been there no cartoon is going to offend me but it did piss me off a bit.

It's art for art sake?

xxxxx

Oh that's so sad, but certainly portrays all the dreadful feelings involved in a mc, although it was graphic it wasn't those bits that upset me, it was the blanket bit like you say. So nice to hear that after all her mc's they finally went on to have a family. Gives everyone hope. X

It kind of annoyed me to be honest, it's too "attention seeking" for me.

I feel it's designed to be provocative and not provocative because it was an out pouring of grief iykwim?

I'm not offended, having been there no cartoon is going to offend me but it did piss me off a bit.

It's art for art sake?

xxxxx

An interesting opinion. I see it as her way of expressing herself and what she's been through, just like people who write songs and books on their personal experiences. I didn't feel she was being provocative and felt genuinely touched by it. I have been offended by flippant and juvenile jokes about mc and still births coming from people that have never been through it themselves however.

I was touched, but it was not the way I lost my little bean, so maybe I feel less.

If by drawing this gave her closure then that's good x

An interesting opinion. I see it as her way of expressing herself and what she's been through, just like people who write songs and books on their personal experiences. I didn't feel she was being provocative and felt genuinely touched by it. I have been offended by flippant and juvenile jokes about mc and still births coming from people that have never been through it themselves however.

My losses were so personal to me, the thought of displaying something so personal in such a public manner just doesn't sit right with me.

I can't put my finger on it?

Those who have never experienced it won't understand (it's not an educational cartoon IMO) and those who have experienced can empathise with the feelings of grief but I find the whole openness of it quite tasteless. It seems purposefully shocking to me, as in if it wasn't shocking no-one would have even picked up on it?

Why does something so personal need to be made so public?

As I say it's not for educational purposes so I don't get it so to speak. I am not suggesting us ladies that have had losses never express our grief but to me this didn't feel like grief as such?

Yes the blanket part of it was very poignant but as a whole I felt nothing for the cartoon other than to question if she was using her experience to make some money / get a bit of publicity :shock: :roll:

xxxxxx

Last edited:
I agree I don't think it's in anyway meant to educate. It's a very personal and emotive subject that so many people have been through and yet handle it so differently for obvious reasons.

Would it have pissed you off, if it hadn't been graphic but still outlined the story in cartoon form? There's no pressure to answer Carnat and I don't want to piss you off further Hun honest, I'm just interested in the discussion. ( I don't mind when there are differing opinions but hate arguments lol )

I actually think its good because its so graphic, no-one wants to talk about those parts (i mean people i know- i wouldn't discuss those parts on the forum as not to upset)

I didn't get the tower block thing though :s

I actually think its good because its so graphic, no-one wants to talk about those parts (i mean people i know- i wouldn't discuss those parts on the forum as not to upset)

I didn't get the tower block thing though :s

Was it not what her husband/partner saw and experienced when walking the dog? That's what I took from it anyway. As if things weren't traumatic enough for them. So sad :(

Yeah i suppose, i just found thAt part distracting. It doesnt paint a good picture of the services, the professionals involved were very cold x

Yeah i suppose, i just found thAt part distracting. It doesnt paint a good picture of the services, the professionals involved were very cold x

maybe that was the experience she had with the health professionals - a lot of ladies do comment on how badly they were treated in hospital or by doctors. :( thankfully the EPU at my hospital are very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back