Family wedding

Gill09876

Reaction score
Hi girls.

I don't know whether I am being over sensitive but my Brother is getting married this year & I never expected to be asked to be Bridesmaid ( I would say we can be close). My future Sis in law is a lovely girl & we get on quite well I am just surprised because she has asked her sister in law to be a Bridesmaid along with a few close friends of hers. I am genuinely pleased for them & wish them well, I just can't help feeling a quite hurt & cried on quite a few occasions. Has anyone ever been in this situation? I know it's the brides big day & hate myself for feeling this way & hope they have the best day of their lives. I don't think I would have felt as upset if the her other sis in law wasn't but they obviously must be pretty close.

Thanks in advance

Gilly x

Your not being over sensitive but it's just one of those things! I got married feb 2015 and had the wedding booked for 1yr+. I asked my sister and oh sister (soon to be sister in law). I asked her because we are close and she often assumed she would be bridesmaid at our wedding so I just went with it! Anyways after asking her she then got engaged and married (before us) and guess what - I wasn't a bridesmaid! She did have my daughter as flower girl but still I was a little hurt! I'm over it now but can completely understand why you feel the way you do x

I can kind of see where you're coming from but if it was me I'd be trying to think more like... Mint I'm not bridesmaid, I can wear what I like, have my hair how I like, zero stress on me but I'll have a great time as I'll know most people, see all my family and no one is counting on me for anything,

My bil is getting married this year and the bride has 7 bridesmaids, we're close but i never expected to be asked. It's been great as I enjoy the hen dos and family things and still sometimes get asked for my opinion but I know on the day I'll be looking after me and don't have any responsibility apart from turning up for the family photos

I didn't expect but always imagined I'd be bridesmaid when my brother got married. I wasn't. It upset me a bit privately, but I didn't let it show to ANYONE because I didn't want my SIL to feel like she had to ask me. When we were out somewhere once she was casually looking at bridesmaid style dresses and I thought 'my god, I'd never get my bosoms in that!' Her two bridesmaids were tall and skinny and while I'm not fat, I'm just so glad I didn't have to stand next to them in official photos!! My mom also said she was glad I wasn't bridesmaid as I wouldn't have liked being told what to wear and how to look, and she was right.
I got to chose my own style, colour, had my hair how I liked and didn't have any of the pressure of any duties on the big day-I could enjoy the day.
So I totally get how you feel. Try not to be upset, you'll have a brilliant day, you can take photos without getting in the way of the official photos if that makes sense and if you're like me, will sob from breakfast until you go to bed with pride!! x

My brother got married last year too, I've already been a brides maid twice in my life...once when I was 6 and the other when I was 20, I was hoping deep down he'd ask but instead my sister in law had friends and her cousin as bridesmaids as she's an only child!..It did sort of upset me but it was a beautiful wedding! when I get married (engaged for 5 years now ha!) I'm not asking my sister in law to be bridesmaid and I'm just having my closest friends :)

I totally get the hurt though! :/

Just don't think too much about it! Enjoy the celebration!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back