Family reactions!

JoanneG79

Reaction score
Just got back from a weekend at the in-laws (and really wish i could drink!) to break the news of our pregnancy. Was met with a stony silence from his mother and then asked if we were happy. I was so close to telling her if we were not happy with the news then she wouldn't be hearing about it at all. His dad is working abroad so he unfortunately had to hear via email, he seemed thrilled, and all we got from his sister was an " ok". His mother is now doing the showering us with love....sorry, money!, and thinks i don't see through this fake reaction. Twice on Saturday she said "if you are happy, then i am happy". My poor OH is so upset with them all, now he just wants to tell my family as we are assured of getting a good reception!
Rant over, sorry girls!!

What a bitch. I'm sorry but I'm in the same boat:( isn't it just hateful!
Y y y can't they be happy?
Y wouldn't u b happy?
What's with the sister?
Was she tryin to get pregnant.

Ggggggg in laws

I know! She is in a huff with me anyway, they came up to visit about 2 months ago, i had overslept so hadn't been food shopping. She claimed i made her feel unwelcome, but that was a load of rubbish as she started doing my ironing for me and tried to clean up too. I told her to stop, guests in my home do not do chores. Not sure what her problem is, but nothing she does surprises me. My OH is a right mummy's boy though (his dad is a bit of a git!) so constantly takes his mum's side in their arguments. But that is another issue i have with them!
Not sure about his sisters reaction, she was a bit sleepy so maybe give her the benefit of the doubt.
Grrrrrrr!!!

Oh im sorry you havent had a great reaction to your pregnancy news! Everyone in my family is so chuffed for me especially my mum. My partners mother wasnt interested though ... and it definitely puts a downer on it. I'm sure your family will be much more excited xx

I'm sorry your in laws reacted like that. My family is over the moon for us. We haven't told my husbands parents as we don't speak to them and I honestly don't think they would be interested even though this is their first grandchild. People can be so horrible xxx

My parents were over the moon and even popped open a bottle of bubbly to celebrate! It was nice watching everyone else drink while I had grapefruit juice. NOT!! Lol.

My MIL, on the other hand, simply said "are u expecting again?" And when I said yeah she said 'congratulations" in the dullest imaginable tone, then changed the subject!!! She doesn't believe in having more than 1 child *yawn*

The bottom line is, ur happy and ur partner is happy, screw everyone else!! A baby is a wonderful thing and if someone can't be happy for u, then they're not worth getting annoyed over xox

Tapatalking from my blackberry!

Do u think are oh mothers an mothers in general find it hard?
I'm really wreckin my brain to no y she's not interested in our baby.
I did think as my oh has type1 diabeties that mite b a reason, think it'll get to the point of a confrointation.
I had the clearest scan pic an she bearly looked at it an said that's nice! That's nice its fckin amazin u ..... Lol x

Do u think are oh mothers an mothers in general find it hard?
I'm really wreckin my brain to no y she's not interested in our baby.
I did think as my oh has type1 diabeties that mite b a reason, think it'll get to the point of a confrointation.
I had the clearest scan pic an she bearly looked at it an said that's nice! That's nice its fckin amazin u ..... Lol x

I wouldn't worry about the reason it must be almost impossible to say what's going on in someone's head!

My oh has type 1 diabetes and his mum and dad were over the moon when we told them. Weirdly i think im more concerned baby will have it as both his dad and grandmother had type 2 and as a family the next gen down seem to be getting diagnosed at a lesser age than the one before. My mum and dad were really pleased for us but were cautious as I was only 6 weeks when we let family know. Maybe it's that??

Thanks everyone! Don't know what her problem is but I am more livid with the consequences of her reaction. My OH thought everyone in his family would be happy for him and I could see he was visibly upset. Afterwards he said he can't wait to get a proper reaction from my family - I can almost guarantee there will be tears from my Mum and this won't be her first grandchild although it is a first for the MIL.

Im not even worrying about the diabeties.
I asked the doc during my sccan an he said the baby has as much chance of having diabeties as ne other child. There chances don't go up.

My OH mum knows we are pregnant and she's so excited - she keeps banging on about it and how she can't wait to
Go out buying things ( sounds good to me! )

Just got to wait untill 12 week scan to tell everyone else

My parents were over the moon and even popped open a bottle of bubbly to celebrate! It was nice watching everyone else drink while I had grapefruit juice. NOT!! Lol.

My MIL, on the other hand, simply said "are u expecting again?" And when I said yeah she said 'congratulations" in the dullest imaginable tone, then changed the subject!!! She doesn't believe in having more than 1 child *yawn*

The bottom line is, ur happy and ur partner is happy, screw everyone else!! A baby is a wonderful thing and if someone can't be happy for u, then they're not worth getting annoyed over xox

Tapatalking from my blackberry!

As much as I wanted to have a go at her for her "if you are happy, then I am happy" crap, I can't as it is still his mother. Complete cow of a mother, but still......! Think she is just annoyed that she couldn't turn it all around to be about her!

My OH mum knows we are pregnant and she's so excited - she keeps banging on about it and how she can't wait to
Go out buying things ( sounds good to me! )

Just got to wait untill 12 week scan to tell everyone else

She did buy a teddy bear for us, but it looks a bit mangy! She said it is for the cot - personally, I think it is for the bin!!

I can't wait until I get my scan so I can announce it to everyone! It has been the longest 5 weeks ever!

Lol- bless- as long as your both happy that's all that matters :)

Yes I'm actually itching to announce

We are both ecstatic! I have told a few people from my work just in case I was throwing up all the time but I have been really lucky and not felt sick at all. But it is good to talk to someone about it other than just the OH, he doesn't really get how I am feeling. Men!

Some of our close friends know- but that's it

Fortunately whilst my hubby has the odd sarcastic Input he's quite sympathetic on how I'm feeling - tiredness is killing me ATM :( xx

Sorry but you dont sound very nice towards your mil, she buys you a prezzi and you want to throw it in bin, call her not much of a mother, and then wonder why she isnt happy her son knocked you up? if i didnt like my son's gf i would be gutted if he got her pregnant. Maybe you have been off hand with her so she wasnt thrilled but is now trying her best? I really think you need to read back how you come across and i really hope that you dont treat her like that in real life. sorry if i sound harsh im just trying to give you another point of view.

Sorry but you dont sound very nice towards your mil, she buys you a prezzi and you want to throw it in bin, call her not much of a mother, and then wonder why she isnt happy her son knocked you up? if i didnt like my son's gf i would be gutted if he got her pregnant. Maybe you have been off hand with her so she wasnt thrilled but is now trying her best? I really think you need to read back how you come across and i really hope that you dont treat her like that in real life. sorry if i sound harsh im just trying to give you another point of view.

Hiya! I bite my tongue with her all the time - I know that she is my OH's mother so I can't be nasty to or about her, not that it stops her with me. I am only ranting on here so I don't rant to my partner about her. She has caused arguments between us before, where she just sits back with a smug grin on her face.
Me and my OH would rather have support and love from our parents than money and material things. It may have been an attempt at an apology from her, I did say thank you very much for it.
Hope I am not coming across as a complete b***h.
J x

Is anyone else having to fend off questions about getting married? We have been together for over 5 years now and got engaged at New Year, but we made the decision that there is no time limit on getting married but as I am 34 now, there may be a time limit on having kids. We chose kids first but I think this is the main issue my MIL has with me. Any advice?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back