Family reactions...part 2!

Thanks everyone for their help. Going to stick to my guns with this one - I want my Mum to buy the pram. Sometimes a girl just needs her mummy and this is one of those times. I know she would be more easy-going about it than my MIL, but if she wants to act like a spoilt brat, I will treat her like one and send her to her room!!
She did admit to my OH that she is still upset that we are not getting married before having a baby, but I am not about to walk up the aisle just because I am up the duff and to keep her happy. A child is more of a commitment than a marriage - although we fully intend to do that bit at some point too.
Maybe I can convince my SIL to get pregnant and engaged too - then it would take some of the heat off me?!

So lay down the law and tell her straight that your mum is buying your pram

She can sulk all she wants- least you'll get some peace and quiet whilst she's throwing her toys out of the pram ( alittle ironic of a sentence lol)

Do what makes you happy and what you want- this is your baby and your family

:)

Ooo I hadn't seen your reply before I posted

You tell her :lol:

Haha!! Thanks. Think there is going to be fireworks when I tell her, and probably a few tears too which will then cause me and the OH to fall out as he will think it is all my fault.
With my hormones though, I will either start crying too or laugh in her face. Maybe I should record it for posterity!!

Man alive. I don't know how you're so pleasant about it. I'd just be like "I don't give a stuff if you asked first. It's my mother and I want her to buy it!"

I would deffo want my mum over MIL to get it. Hubby would let me too. Grrr to MILs.

P.s - Just read the second page! Well done, I'd do the same.

And yes - if she acts pathetic then treat her like it.

Last edited:
Man alive. I don't know how you're so pleasant about it. I'd just be like "I don't give a stuff if you asked first. It's my mother and I want her to buy it!"

I would deffo want my mum over MIL to get it. Hubby would let me too. Grrr to MILs.

I have bitten my tongue so hard at times its a wonder I have any left! It is still him Mum though so I feel like I have no say. She has him wrapped round her little finger! His dad can be a right dick at times and shouts at his mum so the OH and SIL always take her side - but she does play the victim card at times. If my OH spoke to me the way the FIL spoke to the MIL, I wouldn't be whining at him to stop talking to me like that (as she does) - I would probably tell him if he spoke to me like that again he would be out on his ear.

Yeah its a hard situation. But they also need to realise she does play the victim still.

My hubby is a mummy's boy too, and she used to be controlling (texting him ALL the time) and always wanting us to go over for a meal on Saturday nights etc. Eventually we had a big argument (before we got married!) and I just said I'm not living like this and being controlled by his family, and that once we got married I was his family so we would do things together, not what others told us to do.

Thankfully he understood and agreed and so we haven't had too many problems. It still comes up though, like she brings things up about having the grandchild every day when I work, whereas I've told her I want my mum to have the baby half as much so they grow up knowing both grandparents. But we'll see.

I've never been one to hold back on my words so they know.

My Mum always said to me, never slag off your MIL to your OH. She may be the devil in disguise, but she is still his Mother. It is ok for him to do it, never me. Which I can understand really, if the OH started slagging off my Mum I would be wearing his baby makers as earrings right now!

Think I am going to have to have a word with him though, but going to have to tread very carefully and make sure I am not in the middle of a pregnancy rage when I do it! That would not end well!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back