Family Car Challenge

Guadagnia

Reaction score
Hi,
Im interested in all families with 3 plus children, what car do you drive and why. Does it have enough space, and pros/cons of the car. What car do you aspire to given you had the money ?

Im thinking about a new car but need something that ticks all the boxes, so to speak, so I thought maybe the best way to gather info is to get advise from others with larger families.

Thanks for your comments good or bad

Rgds
Guadagnia

you could realistically use any large saloon or estate car, aswell as the obvious MPV's...

i dont have 3 children but i do often carry 3 or 4!

I currently have a vauxhall omega saloon, really comfy car, tons of boot space for prams and whatever, aswell as loads of space inside (my neice looks lost sittin in the back when i pick her up from school lol), and its quite a safe car. downside of mine is running costs if you're only doing short journeys (2.5 V6 petrol), and tax etc, and parking if you arent used to bigger cars.

my sister drives a renault megane scenic... im not a fan personally (mostly because its french! lol), but it does have plenty of room for the kids, and the amount of stuff she seems to carry in it is quite surprising lol not sure what its like for running, but i do know its only a 1.6, which in a big heavy car usually means crap fuel consumption too (as you're always having to accelerate). pro's are the space and also the felxibility of being a 7 seater (though you're compromising boot space then). seems to tick most of the boxes. though i do find it a complete pain to drive with its automatic handbrake and crappy clutch.

My brother and his fiancé have 5 kids between them, he currently has a ford focus C-max, which jus isnt big enough if they have all the kids (in which case he uses the transit mini-bus! lol). hes currently looking at an S-max, 7 seats, tons of space, decent spec'd car with a few engines to choose from based on what you're after... though i havent driven one yet, so cant comment on that.

Dad's got an audi a6 estate, 1.9tdi so econimical enough, nice comfy car to drive, plenty safe, and loads of space being the estate version. can fit the 3+ kids in the back no problem (though its not quite as big as my car). downside would be any work needing done - audi arent cheap!... but there is less work to be done, so proves cheaper in the long run that a crappier car lol

erm.... all of them i drive regularly with the kids in, though i dont have to "live" with them, so thats all based on my personal experiance and whatevers came up in conversation with the owner of whichever car.

:)

Thanks Craig, thats very helpful :wave:

I currently have a Skodia Fabia VRS & Suburu Impreza Wagon, neither are big enough..

Like the sound of the Audi :wink:

I only have two children but in my mondeo theres enough room for 3 carseats at the back :D and I can get a travel system in the boot and a umbrella folding pram and my shopping.

Craig said:
my sister drives a renault megane scenic... im not a fan personally (mostly because its french! lol),

what is it with guys and french cars?! lol my OH says the exact same about my clio lol

anyway back on topic....
My brother has a citreon xara picasso thingy...has 3 kids (who are all teenagers) and is a mobile DJ so plenty of space for everything.

We will have 3 kids and already have one of these

car_photo_18466_7.jpg

I love it the boot is massive and all the seats can come out so if you're moving stuff it basically turns into a van.
There's so much room inside we won't need to upsize unless we ever got more kids.

We have a Citroen xsara picasso too and my 3 are still in car seats. there's plenty of room cos they have 3 separate seats in. Plus the boots massive, we have a massive tandem pram in it and can still squeeze a weeks shopping in :D

Craig said:
my sister drives a renault megane scenic... im not a fan personally (mostly because its french! lol),

what?

hi hun i have had 3 car seats in the back of my citreon picasso with no problems, loads of room to get to each child and loads of storage space

my parents have a VW touran and there is loads of space as there is 3 seperate seats

Xena said:
Craig said:

what?

generally speaking, the french arent known for build quality - hers has had to go into garage a few times from being brand new.

Ive owned/driven/worked on a range of french cars (306, 307, 106, 207, 406, 407, megane, saxo, AX etc) and generally speaking theyre not the best put together cars lol but dont get me wrong, their cheap enough and usually do the job at hand! :) i dont mind the smaller ones, i make money off them cos theyre so easy work on :lol:

I have a Nissan Note. Loads of space for the kids, and loads of boot space for shopping etc.

Also has a false floor in boot so you take out 2 sections and get extra boot space.

Very economical too :wink:

Urchin said:
We will have 3 kids and already have one of these

car_photo_18466_7.jpg

I love it the boot is massive and all the seats can come out so if you're moving stuff it basically turns into a van.
There's so much room inside we won't need to upsize unless we ever got more kids.

Oh, I like that! Would be plenty of space for my doggy too..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back