Family as child care

My MIL Has given up work to look after DG. Means I can go back to work and be happy knowing shes grtting 1:1 attention and doesnt have to go to nursery or a child minder. Shes the type of grandma who will do all the nice things, messyplay, crafts, sunging/dancing, walks etc. So im very happy that my girl will be so well looked after for 3 days per week. She already adheres to my rules and as I will be sending all her food for the day I know she will be getting what I want her to have. Bith grandparenrs know I insist on sticking to routine and are very good that way. I know im one of the lucky ones. Xx

tapatalking

Yeah my MIL is one of the ones who's been there done it.. 20 odd year ago.

So she has no clue tht the kids yoghurt is full of sugar.

I already snap at everything else so with the yoghurt I had to take one for the team and just keep quiet. Haha she got put in her place tho, just politely and sternly. See in my head I was having a melt down thinking a effing yoghurt?!!!!!!!! Hahaha. All good now.. Needless to say she hasn't had him since. Nxt time I will be sending food with him and telling her.

This only!

xxxxx

I'd appreciate feedback from those who use family members as their main source of childcare. How has it been for you, good or bad? What sort of arrangements do you have with them?

There's loads of logistical problems we have with possible childcare such as only having one car and I work shifts. My sil is a full time stay at home mum, with her youngest starting school in Sept. She's talking about getting a job now. OH has suggested asking her to look after our son. We would pay her, but don't know where we'd stand legally on this? It would help massively as she's likely to be more flexible than someone independent. But I worry our son wouldn't mix with other children. My main concern is if there are any issues with how she's looking after it, I want to be able to speak my mind without fear of causing a family fall out. I'm not saying there would be, but I would feel reassured knowing that if anything did go wrong etc, I could deal with it as a customer paying for a service I'm not happy with. I probably sound very ungrateful, but I feel sometimes it's best not to mix family/friends and business.

Thing is, it would help us out massively! I just don't know!!

If i were you, i would like to ask my ML to help look after my kid, after all she is my family and she will not need to be paid. Of course you will have problems with your ml, just tell her what you think and treat her like your real family.

Yeah my MIL is one of the ones who's been there done it.. 20 odd year ago.

So she has no clue tht the kids yoghurt is full of sugar.

I already snap at everything else so with the yoghurt I had to take one for the team and just keep quiet. Haha she got put in her place tho, just politely and sternly. See in my head I was having a melt down thinking a effing yoghurt?!!!!!!!! Hahaha. All good now.. Needless to say she hasn't had him since. Nxt time I will be sending food with him and telling her.

This only!

xxxxx

Urgh! I hate that attitude! My parents and in laws are like that 'oh I have raised four kids you know!'.

I don't care! That was back in the days you could have your baby in the car with no seat belt, leave your baby and pram outside the shop for half an hour and leave them out sleeping in the pram in the middle of winter!

I'd appreciate feedback from those who use family members as their main source of childcare. How has it been for you, good or bad? What sort of arrangements do you have with them?

There's loads of logistical problems we have with possible childcare such as only having one car and I work shifts. My sil is a full time stay at home mum, with her youngest starting school in Sept. She's talking about getting a job now. OH has suggested asking her to look after our son. We would pay her, but don't know where we'd stand legally on this? It would help massively as she's likely to be more flexible than someone independent. But I worry our son wouldn't mix with other children. My main concern is if there are any issues with how she's looking after it, I want to be able to speak my mind without fear of causing a family fall out. I'm not saying there would be, but I would feel reassured knowing that if anything did go wrong etc, I could deal with it as a customer paying for a service I'm not happy with. I probably sound very ungrateful, but I feel sometimes it's best not to mix family/friends and business.

If i were you, i would like to ask my ML to help look after my kid, after all she is my family and she will not need to be paid. Of course you will have problems with your ml, just tell her what you think and treat her like your real family.

It's my SIL rather than MIL, MIL can't have him cos she has mobility problems.

I would love to treat her like my real family, but the problem with that is my family is very different to OH's. With my family, I can speak my mind on something or have an argument with someone and two minutes later it's forgotten. With OH's family, if you disagree with one of them, they turn it into a massive argument and never speak to each other again. MIL speaks to none of her brothers and doesn't even speak to two of her sons cos she fell out with their wives!

It's my SIL rather than MIL, MIL can't have him cos she has mobility problems.

I would love to treat her like my real family, but the problem with that is my family is very different to OH's. With my family, I can speak my mind on something or have an argument with someone and two minutes later it's forgotten. With OH's family, if you disagree with one of them, they turn it into a massive argument and never speak to each other again. MIL speaks to none of her brothers and doesn't even speak to two of her sons cos she fell out with their wives!
Oh i see. It is strange.

If nursery wasnt so expensive I'd put W in rather than family...!

My mum has Harry two days a week and it's great, she does everything I ask and wouldn't be offended if I asked her to do something differently! He also goes to nursery two days a week which is the perfect balance. I love private nurseries they are so great for babies (apart from the cost lol) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back