Expressing

pinkyprincess

Reaction score
So the plan is operation give me a lay in and my OH is going to feed Tyler in the morning for me. I know it may backfire as he might not have enough and he might have to wake me to bf anyway but unless we have a go we'll never know.

I've expressed 2oz so far but I was unsure as to how much he'll need. He's a month old, any ideas?

Also to heat it you put the bottle in some hot water right? And don't shake swrirl?

I have no idea of oz but I think at 1 month I was able to express 2-3oz and he'd be fine with whatever I'd expressed, but he was (and still is) a VERY hungry greedy baby! I'd say just try with what you can express as your boobs know how much he takes at an average feed so will give you roughly the same (altho expressing is no indication of supply).
If its from the fridge I put it in hot water about 3 mins, less if its already room temp, altho that's for 6oz so only 2oz might heat quicker, I just do a swirly shake so its evenly heated, my Lo likes it body temp so I go by if I can't feel it when I test it on the back of my wrist then its body temp, no idea if its right but it works for me. Good luck with your lie in enjoy it!!!!

Last edited:
How hot should the water be? Boiling from the kettle or hot from the tap?

Thanks for the advice :)

Vince has about 4 oz or slightly more per feed x

Last edited:
I think a feed should be about half their weight in oz so if your baby is 10lb then they will take 5oz in a feed. Obviously this is just a general guide and your baby will probably be hungrier first thing in the morning.

I could only express about 2 oz when Kynon was a month as well. I just warm it 2 body temp using water from the kettle or the bottle warmer. Hopefully he will take it and you will get your long lie :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I boil the kettle and then leave it a min or two before I pour it into a bowl so its not 'just boiled' hot if you know what I mean, although now I've bought a tommee tippee bottle warmer but it pretty much heats the water the same temp!

I would say my LO would take about 3-4oz at that age and it might take a couple of expressing sessions to get that much. Enjoy your lie in!

He wouldn't take the bloody bottle :| I'm stuffed now until he's on solids? I miss going out for dinner of an evening and drinking :(

He might just need some time to get used to it, mine didn't take to it straight away, it took a few attempts before he realised what it was. Maybe he will take it eventually but if not then he might take it from a cup, I think Sarah is trying a cup with her Lo so she might have some advice?

Hey hun.....I posted about this too and have tried every bottle going! How old Is your LO? Keep trying every day as I think we've left it too late now as LO is 4 1/2 months! If he's still little you may be able to get there!

The NUK latex have been the most successful for us! LO did it for a week and then rejected!

Good luck hope you get there :) xx

Sent from my sparkly new 4s!!!

Lol I just commented on your thread!! Might give the NUK a go before we buy cups. Can you go from them to normal teats? as we have a load of bottles!!!

I'd assume so chick! Thinking once he gets used to them and a bit bigger he might transition a bit easier?

It seems like quite a common problem! :( xx

Happened to bump into an NUK bottle when I popped up to the high street earlier so gonna give that a go!

Oooow good luck :) hope LO takes to it! Let us know how u get on xx

So when OH fed him he just played with the teat, let the milk dribble out and screamed, OH has no patience so he called me back! I gave him my boob (I have NEVER known him to attach himself like he did! Baby limpet!) I let him feed a while and I had a go and he had half an oz max (i hope dunno how much was spat out before) then started crying so I put him back on the boob.

Glad we're getting somewhere but not worth it if it's only me that cab feed him!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back