Experiences with epidural

Colourmeblue

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

With my first I had only gas & air and pethidine. But I am seriously crapping myself about the labour. Starting to really panic as im a complete wuss when it comes to pain. First time round, I was so adamant that i didnt want an epidural, as i'd heard horror stories about how it can go wrong. This time, i'm wondering whether to consider it, though im still really reluctant. So i was hoping some of you could share your experiences of it - good and bad. I think it will help to make up my mind for this time.

Thank u xx

hi hunni,

well let me start by saying i didnt want morphine injections they offered you, i only wanted gas n air and an epidural, best thing ever since slice bread lol.
I have never suffered back ache with them and dilated 7cm in 4hrs on them.
i had mine turned down so i could feel my contractions while pushing, but i was numb on the lady bits, good job really as i had to be cut and he was sucked out lol.

id rather an epidural over drugs anyday :) xx

p.s i suffered panic attacks in pregnancy and was pretty eaten up in labour and it mellowed me out a hell of alot, combined with gas n air i felt like i was partying on a beach with a cocktail lol xx

Last edited:
I have had an epidural for 4of my babies and I LOVE it!! I had one baby with just gas.
I would never give birth without one.
I don't like mind altering drugs, I want to remember it.
Epi's rule, never had a bad experience x

this is also a question i will monitor as i had my first with gas and air and diamorphine all 9 years ago and im a fanny when it comes to pain my mum had a epi with my brother adn was told its down to that that her backs done in now.my brothers now 26 i guess things have changed since then but it seems alot of women are opting for them as u use less energy thing that puts me off having 1 is u cant go home and would have to stay the night untill u can feel ur bits and legs again ? also i had bas experiance with a catheter first time round and i dont want the infection they gave me from pokeing difrent sizes into me :( aghh so hard the decision

I was just about to post a question about this, im a nurse who works with spinal patients, in the last two years ive had a lot of ladies in within a week or 2 after baby is born with spinal/epidural abscess. Its really worried me and put me off having one, so kinda wanted to hear some good stories about it, ive never really been in any degree of pain ever so I duno how ill cope, but im now petrified as im worried about the risks

I was just about to post a question about this, im a nurse who works with spinal patients, in the last two years ive had a lot of ladies in within a week or 2 after baby is born with spinal/epidural abscess. Its really worried me and put me off having one, so kinda wanted to hear some good stories about it, ive never really been in any degree of pain ever so I duno how ill cope, but im now petrified as im worried about the risks

oh god never heard of that do women have 2 get them drained ? aghhhh i feel sick just reading that

If u went along life worrying about every risk like, crossing a road, driving a car, going on an airoplane we'd be emoational wrecks of what could happen.

If something goes wrong it goes wrong but its highly unlikely it will, xx

They normally need spinal surgery to have the abcess washed out or if its infected needs 6 weeks of antibiotics and possible spinal surgery, thats why im worried now about getting one, I dont know if its just ive noticed a lot more cases because im pregnant or if something is going on at the hospitals where they are being sited but its made me think twice about getting one, but was interested in hearing some of the positives of the epidural.

Trust me when your in labour and its to much last thing u worry about is side effects of an epidural lol xx

Eeeeek I was gona have out in my notes that I absolutely do not want one and dont consent, do you think maybe I should just leave it off and see how I go?

If i was you yes, all an epidural does is block the pain signals in yr spine nerves to entering your tummy, morphine injections drugs n and the baby, your baby may not latch if you intend on bf because its to drowsey :( however you may cope on just gas n air :) i coped 16hrs on nothing then had gas n air the last 3hrs of that, then had a mobile rpidural xx

Ok thanks, my plan was gas and air and birthing pool if possible I dont want any ither drugs, but easy for me to say that now lol and things dont always go to plan

no birth goes to plan hunni, i had a pretty straight birth until delivery and then i had about 10dr's and midwifes in my room looking at my vagina lol, xx

trust me go take a last look at yr vagina as it will never be the same lol :D xx

Hi ladies,

With my first I had only gas & air and pethidine. But I am seriously crapping myself about the labour. Starting to really panic as im a complete wuss when it comes to pain. First time round, I was so adamant that i didnt want an epidural, as i'd heard horror stories about how it can go wrong. This time, i'm wondering whether to consider it, though im still really reluctant. So i was hoping some of you could share your experiences of it - good and bad. I think it will help to make up my mind for this time.

Thank u xx

I had an epidural with my first which was 15 years ago now :shock: and never experienced any problems with back trouble or anything.
I think most first time moms opt for an epidural because labour can be long and slow and you don't know how you're going to cope with the pain. If this is your second baby though you may find you dilate more quickly and can cope with just gas and air xx

had epidural with first and it totally prolonged my labour and led to intervention. Second time round had just gas and air and labour was much faster...im talking first was over 16hrs second was like 6. i had the epidural when i was 6cm dilated at like midday and my son was not born until 1.30am with me pushing for 2 hours until they decided to intervene with ventouse. I could not feel contractions properly to know when to push and was limited in movement etc...with second i was mobile and very active..in pool etcbut came out and delivered on some floor mats. This time im def going for normal delivery again without epidural. I also felt a really weird sensation in my shoulder like trapped wind the following day after epidural and dr had to give me medication for the trapped wind. 7 yrs on every month or so i get the trapped wind in my shoulder and have to get hubby to rub it..its quite scary - feel like i cant breath. Also from my experience as a student mw women who have epidurals have more intervention than those who do not have it. x

Epidurals are the best thing ever! I felt pressure but no pain which was good as after h was born the doctor had to put both hands up my bits to pull out blood clots and I think I would have died if I had to do that without it! Lol! This time we are recommended to have an epi incase I need a crash c sec which I'm more than happy to have!
Xxx

you wanted the bad stories too, so here goes!!

I had an epidural. It took 45mins for them to get it in. All the while I am perched on the edge of the bed hugging a pillow through horrendous contractions with 2 midwives and my husband trying to hold me still. (I was on the drip, so contractions were big)

they got it in, and i got relief down one side. This amplified the pain down my left side. I felt it most in my groin and thigh. After an hour or two i was begging them to cut my leg off! they tried massage, lying me on my side, ice cubes and god knows what else to get it working down both sides. After a few more hours of me saying I wanted to die (a bit dramatic I know!) the epidural woman came back and fiddled about again for another half hour. Then finally relief!!!

I then felt nothing and pushed out the baby no bother at all. Didnt even feel them stitching me up. It didnt affect how I was pushing either. I just so wanted the whole thing to be over that I pushed with everything I had.

would I get one again? probably not. I would probably try something else first, anything but diamorphine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back