Exhausted and I really shouldn't be?

sammielou

Reaction score
Is it normal to feel physically exhausted at 20 weeks?

Like, I've been off work for almost three weeks over christmas, done very little/nothing most days except I've been going for half an hour walks 3 times a week and doing housework here and there. On the days I walk, I find it hard to stay awake in the afternoon and often end up napping.

I went for a 40 minute walk today (at my 2 year old nephew's pace, so not exactly speed walking here!) and when I got home I dropped onto the sofa and immediately fell to sleep for an hour. It wasn't just an 'I'm bored, I'll go to sleep' - I fell asleep watching something I was actually quite interested in on TV.

That nap was 4pm-5pm. Its not even 9pm yet and I'm already getting sleepy again. This is rediculous and going back to work on Monday is going to flatten me at this rate.

So - is this a common pregnancy thing, or should I be talking to the mw/gp to see if there is anything wrong (anemia? blood pressure? vitamin defficiency?)

I've been knackered recently too, I'm 22 weeks and this afternoon I had 2 hour sleep!
But I also think I'm coming down with a cold xx

It's quite common. With my
Last pregnancy I had lethargy all the way through - if I didn't nap 6-8pm every night I would just pass out.

This time it's not so bad, but it was awful in first trimester and I'm sure it will kick back in in the third trimester lol

If you're worried maybe ask your doc for a blood test as it's possible you have low iron which is common in pregnancy

I would start on high iron foods and spatone just in case. I'm doing that as I feel like I'm dying every afternoon and can't nap due to toddler. Big hugs xxx

Hey,
I had the same and it brought me to tears each day my body stopped functioning.
Went to regular MW apt who told me to book in with GP, a few appointments and tests later they found I was badly anemic but also had a b12 deficiency. Now on highest doses of iron and getting b12 injections weekly for 6 weeks.
Definitely worth getting seen as I thought it was normal and it's not, this is baby #2 didn't have it in last pregnancy x

I was the same over Xmas-had bloods done for anaemia etc but they all came back fine, I feel a bit better now but I've made a conscious effort to eat more fruit and veg to make sure I'm getting enough vitamins each day xx

So after posting this question I had awful night where even though I was really tired I hardly slept. Then I spent the whole next day in bed with an upset stomach. Haven't really suffered with morning sickness prior to this, just a bit of nausea in the first trimester. Since I'm much improved today I'm thinking maybe I picked up a bug and that was what knocked me out quite so badly this time.

Had my last mw appointment in early december and all bloods etc were normal then. I guess I'll see how my return to work goes and if I'm still struggling get checked over again in case something has changed in the meantime.

Thanks ladies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back