Exercise

SalisburyMum

Reaction score
What exercise are people up to?

I walk approx 5 miles a day with dog and kids

And I'm a gym member so going to do swimming/Pilates/Aqua 3/4 times a week

Does anyone do any weights or anything? Can I still tone me arms??

How far along are you?

I barely manage to waddle down the street now :lol:

Well I get out of bed.....does that count?
Chase after a 3 year old until I take him to,school, walk him to the building.
Sometimes tidy the house a little
Pick monster up from nursery (because he's usually a deamon by this point)
Make dinner....hubby comes home ( I do a dance of happiness .....see exercise)
Put monster child to bed...and then back to bed....and then back to bed....I think he's asleep
I get into bed.....baby wakes up uses my bladder like the dog in the new John Lewis ad and I do about 5 sit ups a night to go and pee.
Phew I'm exhausted lol

:lol: mummywanabe!

At this point i'm managing a 2 mile walk to school and the housework.. I'd probably manage swimming and yoga but don't have the time or inclination! I'd ask your gym/class instructirs for advice but it sounds as though the classes you're choosing are perfectly safe.. don't see what damage arm toning could do! xx

I'm only just preggers! Looking for a good routine that will keep me mobile and healthy x

I'm a Jazzercise Instructor and am still using weights in my class. I've stopped jumping quite as much as I used to and have stopped doing stomach exercises on the floor as it makes me light headed

I think I'm going to do some arms and upper back weights... I'll leave the legs and squats as my hips aren't great

I do CrossFit, which includes weights. I was going 4-5x/wk, but I stopped for about 5 weeks as I was too ill in the first trimester, but I'm back at it now and have reduced my attendance to 2-3x/wk. I'm just too tired to make the 4-5 committment with the time options for classes.

I've just modified a few things. I have lowered my weights and am focusing on form and don't do below parallel for squats or too heavy. No more one rep maxes. As long as you have good form with lifting weights, it's good to continue to do these. With relaxin kicking in, squats and lunges shouldn't be too heavy. As my belly grows, I'll switch from using a bar to kettle-bells and dumbbells for cleans and snatches. I'm also lucky to have a some amazing coaches who have experience training pregnant women. I'm also going to start swimming again. The location and times are more convenient and will allow me to get 4-5 workouts in per week again.

Before getting pregnant I read a lot about CrossFit and weightlifting during pregnancy to make sure I could still do it. As long as you don't have any complication during your pregnancy that requires pelvic rest, it's really good for you and the baby. Lots of the research I read states that women who workout regularly during pregnancy tend to have less complicated labour, to give birth on time and recover quicker. Of course, this isn't always the case, but it seems to put things in your favour.

I also do CrossFit, and I can still do everything except ab exercises. The physiotherapist who gives training told me to avoid doing abs since crunches and sit ups strain the muscles and later on during pregnancy they can rip. I do push ups or squats instead. I can't always do jumping exercises due too painful boobs. But like kabuk1 says, exercise can help with labour, but I think it's good for limiting excessive weight gain and weight related complications.
Squats can actually improve your pelvic floor! It gets easier every time you do it! Plus they give you a nice booty too! Good luck SalisburyMum!

Thanks guys!! I've signed back up for my body pump classss because of your stories :)

Tomorrow I've yoga, some weights and a nice swim :)

I'm excited!!

That's so cool! It's nice to see other mummies-to-be be so active! You will sleep like a baby too! :lol:

So cancelled the yoga because of bloods

But did 20mins of weights and a half hour swim, was Blissful!!

Totally cained the swimming too I was particularly awesome!

Sooooo feeling Good

Just need to get my diet under some control. Not going to diet but am going to eat well

I think granola and yogurt for breakfast

A decent lunch
A decent dinner

And nothing in between...
Starting tomorrow!!

I did a class called body pump which is weights until I was about 32weeks with my first. Picked it back up again after she was born & am 19weeks now & still doing the class. I'd just make sure you get advice from a trainer, I remember being told lifting weights over your head in early stages might not be great as you can get dizzy. Also be aware of starting any new exercises.

I'm pretty active already... Going to do body pump a few times a week, Aqua... Gym n swim

I'm finding that my diet has balanced back out again now since being able to go back to working out. I can't wait to get some swimming in. For me it's a great active recovery day. I just need better gyms to have a no joining fee offer.

I love my gym but it's £60 a month!!! Not a cheap one!

Great pool and staff and classes though, can't fault it

That's quite cheap with all the add-ons SalisburyMum!!
You can lift weights above your head, but you have to be careful in the 3rd trimester because the hormone relaxin. Your back may overstretch and start curving too much. I wouldn't do snatches with your one rep max! I find inspiration on Instagram with fitmoms, they mostly do arm and leg/bum strengthening avoiding ab exercises. You obviously will still work your abs but to a lesser degree than if you were focusing only on ab movements. Their recovery is very fast too!

If I didn't love CrossFit so much, I'd go back to a regular gym. CrossFit is so expensive and no pool, so I need a cheap pool option for the swimming. The cheapest I've found in £29 month. Once I move I'll have to switch and then it'll be £35 month, but that will be all inclusive with access to 10 different sports centres. Unfortunately, I can't afford more than that alongside the cost of CrossFit. The all inclusive price when I move is that low because it's a local leisure centre and I'll get a discount for living in the borough.

But £60 is a good price. Many of the gyms near me start at £75/month with a 1 year commitment.

All the crossfit centres are too far from me currently but I like they they allow children to be around.

Yeah, I'm going to have to change boxes, but there aren't many options where I'm moving to. One near looks good or I can join the one near my work. I will commute a bit after the baby comes and I get the all clear as there is one that offers a post-natal membership. They run the class everyday at noon and it included childcare during the class. The workouts are designed to slowly get you back to a fitness level to move back into the main classes. It's also cheaper than normal membership and has several options, so I'm quite excited about that. It'll be worth the commute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back