Exercise to aid depression

EJ

Reaction score
Hi :wave:
I'm about 13 weeks now and the first three months have been really hard. I came off anti-depressants which I've been on for about 10 years about a month before I fell pregnant.
My mood has been so awful, anger :evil: , frustration :wall: , weepy :cry: and full throttle bawling my eyes out! I think its been a mix of coming off the pills and hormonal changes.
I did very little physically up until last week, wanted to make sure baby was where it should be and established - scan perfect! Plus I was physically exhausted.... :sleep:
Started off with walks And this week began swimming - from 40 to 50 to 80 lengths in upto 45 mins continuous swimming and feel fantastic! :dance: One length breast stroke, one length freestyle. And on the days inbetween I walk for 30-40 mins, about 3 miles. All with music - on ebay you can get a waterproof mp3 which fits onto your goggles - great - takes the boredom out of doing lengths! And good old ipod for walking.
I now have more energy and feel so much more contented and satisfied and don't have the guilt of sitting on my bum all day. :wink: I've also ordered a cheap fold away exercise bike which I want to use in the evenings, safer then my bike on the road. WIll let you know how that goes.
Will keep exercising as much as my body lets me and keep eating healthily, its definately helped the dreaded bloat!
How are other people staying active and happy? Be interested to hear other strategies.
X :hug: X

Congratulations on coming off the anti-depressants and finding another way of coping. It sounds like the exercise is really helping your mood and general health.

Unfortunately I'm still in the exhausted phase and am :sleep: ing every chance I get. I find even walking the dog quite strenuous at the moment. I am toying with going swimming twice a week during my lunch hour though. I like the thought of the waterproof MP3 player, I'll have to have a look on ebay.

I definitely want to lose the bloat, I am already starting to look pregnant but I'm pretty sure it's fat and not baby :lol:

Hi, its great to read this post. I went through hell at the first stages of my pregnancy due to coming off anti depressants. Still struggle now.

I have to admit I have not done much exercise and I am quite annoyed with myself because of this. I find it hard to go swimming as I hate my body and going to yoga or other classes I find a little daunting but then I only end up even more depressed and I feel very fat at at the moment!
It was great to read this post....now I just need to get off my arse more!!! :rotfl:

Your diet and excercise can aid depression.

A walk at least 20mins a day can increase endorphins, and eating a fresher diet full of vits is great too...

:hug:

im glad you are finding the excercise a help. Its great for general wellbeing, i find even tho im not pg that if I dont excercise I feel fat, down and its a vicious circle.

I think it's a great strategy and I may start swimming at my gym soon. I am really tired a lot these days so I find exercising in little chunks is the way to go. 20-30 mins is about all I can do these days, but it's enough.

If you are looking for yet more to do, I quite enjoy lifting weights. I have cut back due to being pg, and don't lift as heavy as I used to, but I feel great afterward. :)

Glad to hear you are doing well with the exercise :) It has helped me in the past with depression too. It's not a cure-all but it definitely makes a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back