Exercise in pregnancy

Sarah W Baby Belly

Reaction score
What exercises are people doing.???

I love swimming and have just started doing pilates as well.

I have always enjoyed exercise and I am hoping to keep it up for as long as I possibly can.

Hi Sarah, I used to excercise 3 times a week religiously before I got pregnant. In the 1st few months I could barely manage a trip to the pool once a week cos I was so tired. I now go to the gym for a light workout once a week (bike/cross trainer and light weights) and also try and fit in a long swim once a week. I've also been told excercising with a swiss ball is really good for working on legs and bums (not tummy though).
Would really like to do a pilates or yoga class once a week but can't seem to fit that in, too busy eating!!

zx

my excercise is walking from the front room to the kitchen and back again, to get some food lol :D

Exercise, mmmm, think ive jus bout forgot what that is, lol. I used to be a regular visiter to the gym before, but now im jus too tired, and im constantly in wrk, tryin to build up the piggy bank abit more, i keep promising myself that yes i will jump on he exercise bike which is sittin in the corner of the room growin spider webs, but do i ever. no.

bec x x

I'm going to the gym about 4 times a week and doing about 40 mins aerobic plus light weights. I'm just over 15 weeks and still have lots of energy and have not had any sickness so I guess its been easy for me to keep going.

I am starting aqua natal on monday and going to do active birth classes a bit later on too.....as well as telling myself every night that I should walk the dog and then retreating to the sofa!!! Poor dog!!

Wow Fee

You have put me to shame!

I have been swimming quite a bit but avoiding the gym as the air conditioning doesn't work very well in there and it gets too hot. Also in all the years I have been at the gym I have never once see a woman with a bump working out, so I thought it was something that pregnant women just didn't do.

I was actually planning a big trip there tonight now that the weather has cooled down but I have discovered that my jogging pants don't fit. What a dim wit!

So I now have to buy some maternity ones before I can get there and do my session.

You are a big inspiration to me and have made me more determined than ever to get back as soon as possible.

I intend to go as soon as I can.

You need to be carefull about exercise during pregnancy especially if you didnt exercise much before hand, due to the relaxin hormone your are a lot more liable to strains and injuries, in fact doing stomach exercises can cause an abdominal muscle injury that causes bits of your organs to poke through like a hernia under the skin of your tummy. which is why its advisable NEVER to do sit ups during pregnancy. If you are attending any sort of aerobic class you should make sure your instructor is aware of your pregnancy and check that your instructor is RSC qualified for pregnancy fitness.
I have found the best work out is aqua natal, as the water supports you and enables you to do a lot more. if you do go swimming, aviod breast stroke or do it more in your side, as it causes strecthing in places that shouldnt be stretched during pregnancy.

Well I had just a 30 minute session planned with 10 minutes of gentle walking, 10 minutes on the stationery bike and 10 minutes on the cross trainer (on a low setting).

I wouldn't go mad, I would be too scared.

Ive just started aquanatal, i's really fun!!

I'm beating Layla - I have to walk downstairs from my office to the kitchen - bathroom is right next door though. I must be doing my 10,000 paces just walking to the bathroom the way my bladders going!!

Exercise has never been my strong point :?

Tracy xx

Hi Sarah
Not sure how I'm gonna feel in a few weeks when I am carrying a bump, rather than having a waist line that looks like I've eaten too many pies! I too haven't seen any others with bumps and am expecting a few funny looks when I get a bit bigger. Have you bought any specific maternity gym wear - I haven't seen any and asked in the Adidas shop last week but apparently they don't do it. Have so far just bought a selection of bigger sizes so if you know where I can get some stuff would be grateful.
I think the regular exercise has made me have a really healthy time so far as although I am knackered at about 2.30pm and don't want to go to the gym, when i get there I feel so much better and have been much more lively in the evening.
Fee x

I went swimming last night. I didn't really think it would help my energy levels - even though loads of people say it does. But I felt so much better after i had been - it gave me so much more energy!!

Yes, exercise really invigorates and makes you feel more in control of your body and your overall weight gain.

Fee, I have ordered some maternity jogging bottoms from additions direct. A pack of 2 is £19. I haven't tried them on yet, so I can't say whether they are comfy, flattering, wearable at the gym, etc, but I will let you know tomorrow.

I was supposed to go the gym on friday but my normal ones wouldn't fit :( :( :( Trying again this week.

Have to say, didn't like the additions direct maternity jogging bottoms.

They are OK if you don't mind things very high up on the waist. aka simon cowell style, but I found that I could really feel the waistband round my waist which I didn't like

So I am now in pursuit of some nice low cut joggers that are comfy and not too long. Quite tricky it seems.

Anybody know of any?

On the bright side, their denim skirt in the autumn catalogue is super comfy. Can't wear that to the gym though :D :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back