Exercise and weight gain

Bethanybiggin

Reaction score
Hi all!

So I lost 3 stone over a year and half and got to my healthy weight for past year or so! Been going to gym about 3 times a week and counting calories 1200 a day!

Really struggling to up my calories without eating crap! I still want to be as healthy as possible I also haven't been to the gym since finding out as I'm sure scared! I have been walking to work and back which is about 15mins either way!
I'm wanting to start going to gym again and take it easy I think maybe just walk on treadmill and weights but no ab workouts!

Just want everyone opinion on the gym in pregnancy and what they would do and what you guys are eating to stay healthy but have your safe calorie intake

I wouldnt worry about calorie counting when pregnant. I believe when you are pregnant especially in trimester one and two that you need an extra 200 calories a day.

Id say you are fine still going to the gym, I would just careful doing weights as your ligaments and muscles go quite soft during pregnancy so you can pull them or you dont want to do any that are too heavy and could cause you injury. Id stick to things like treadmill, cycle bike, rowing machine. Also make sure not to get too tired and stop when you are tired. Also make sure to drink plenty of water. Xx

If it's something your body is used to then there's no reason to stop. I teach a dance based exercise class and will continue to do so as long as I can. With my first I managed it up until 35 weeks

Is there no PT's at you gym that could give you some advice about working out while pregnant. That's what I did when I was pregnant with my son xx

P.s. obviously you need to listen to your body and keep hydrated xx

Thanks for the replies!
I'll ask the people in gym what they think!

If you want to increase calorie intake, it's usually best to do so by adding fat if you already have a healthy diet. Try switching to full fat milk, real butter and maybe some fattier meat. It's really hard to have a high calorie intake with carbs unless you eat pure sugar. Seeing as you work out a lot you can probably eat more protein too, but I'd check that with someone who knows about sports nutrition.
Remember that your antenatal team should include a dietician.
Like mentioned above, you don't need to add too much for being pregnant, but you really shouldn't be reducing calories either, so if you add 200,that would be on top of the recommended 1800 for adult women (give or take a little depending on individual).

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

I've found like Rhiandell suggested, swapping my skimmed for full fats has helped :) xxxxx

Well I've been eating loads more since being pregnant! I have been starving almost every hour until about 3 days ago. It's starting to ease off a bit now, but I'm still definitely eating more. If I don't, I feel awful. It does worry me a bit though, as I don't want to end up enormous and struggle to get the weight off after. Good on those that can maintain the same diet and exercise throughout.

When you are pregnant working out is not a problem at all but you have to be careful with the exercises you do. I had a friend who lived a very active lifestyle prior to getting pregnant
and she was afraid she was going to have to slow down, but she didn't. She found these special pregnancy workouts from Beachbody and they really helped her get in shape again during and post pregnancy. I hope this helps you!

https://www.beachbody.com/product/bod/exclusive/pregnancy-workouts-exercises.do

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back