Excited and Scared

Abc2601

Reaction score
Hi All,
Im around 6/7 weeks.

This is my second pregnancy. During my first one, my baby was diagnosed with Trisomy 18 (Edwards Syndrome) when I was 17.5 weeks pregnant. I went on to carry him til 38 weeks when unfortunately he was stillborn.

Although traumatic, the whole experience had a very positive effect on my life and Im a much better person for it.

They say T18 is 'just one of those things' and 'just happens', butI cant help but worry that there's something wrong with me and that it might not work out this time either .

Im trying to think positively as this is a completely different pregnancy, with a different partner. I know that technically, there's no reason anything should happen this time round. But it's difficult.

Anyway, hope i havent depressed you all :-s Just wanted to introduce myself :wave:

Welcome to the forum and congratulations :):)
I'm sorry about what happened last time. But be positive it doesn't mean it will happen again!
Your a strong lady for getting through it.

I wish you a happy and healthy pregnancy :)

Xxx

Congratulations and welcome!
Really sorry you had such an awful thing happen last time. But this is a new chapter for you now, and i hope this pregnancy is a stress free one for you. Best wishes for a happy pregnancy and a lovely baby at the end of it :) xx

I've never heard of the T18 , only T21
However, despite that, you planned on continuing to full term despite it, which shows you have love and strength

Chances of it happening again are even less odds than it happening to you like it did in the first place
Theres no reason for it to happen again
It probably was just a totally random chromosomal blip that sadly had to happen to you

Especially the fact youre combining a totally different persons DNA into the equation
I really don't think you should be worried xxx

Thanks for your replies.

Id never heard of T18 before either, and tbh, didn't even know that Down Syndrome was a trisomy until all that happened. It was a learning experience, that's for sure.

That's really kind of you to say Gail. Sometimes I wonder if continuing was just the cowards way out, to let nature run it's course - so that I didn't have to make the decision to terminate. But at the same time, Ive got to know lots of kids surviving with various forms of T18, and would have always wondered 'what if'.

... I think (well, for me anyway) that you know inside before ever being told there's a problem whether you'd consider termination as an option should the baby have something wrong with them

I'm not that far into my pregnancy, but I know that if it came to it, and they were found to have something that would seriously affect their life, I know that I'd terminate if I had the option

It's a very iffy subject
But I just feel that, well, lifes hard enough when you've got no problems
Why would I want to bring a child into the world for it to find it tougher than 'normal' kids
It's not to say I disagree with others doing it and bringing special kids into the world, but I don't feel I'm strong enough for a life time of feeling upset for that child having their difficulties
If it came to it, I dunno, maybe I'd change, but I don't think I'd ever like to try it to find out that I was right from the start

I'm too sensitive that way
I think I'd need to be brave to make that one important call to make that choice
Because I really don't think I'd be brave enough to continue living having not

But anyway
Onto nicer things I suppose lol
I wish you a happy healthy 30+ weeks! :)
I really wouldn't let your past experience get you down
Try and enjoy the pregnancy for what it likely is - a happy healthy one xxx

... I think (well, for me anyway) that you know inside before ever being told there's a problem whether you'd consider termination as an option should the baby have something wrong with them

I'm not that far into my pregnancy, but I know that if it came to it, and they were found to have something that would seriously affect their life, I know that I'd terminate if I had the option

It's a very iffy subject
But I just feel that, well, lifes hard enough when you've got no problems
Why would I want to bring a child into the world for it to find it tougher than 'normal' kids
It's not to say I disagree with others doing it and bringing special kids into the world, but I don't feel I'm strong enough for a life time of feeling upset for that child having their difficulties
If it came to it, I dunno, maybe I'd change, but I don't think I'd ever like to try it to find out that I was right from the start

I'm too sensitive that way
I think I'd need to be brave to make that one important call to make that choice
Because I really don't think I'd be brave enough to continue living having not

But anyway
Onto nicer things I suppose lol
I wish you a happy healthy 30+ weeks! :)
I really wouldn't let your past experience get you down
Try and enjoy the pregnancy for what it likely is - a happy healthy one xxx

I agree with Gail but everyone is different and absolutely entitled to have their own opinions and thoughts on this subject. I think it's a brave, not cowardly decision to continue with the pregnancy. It didn't work. Maybe that was just meant to be. But please do not try to worry, the chances of a repeat scenario must be ridiculously low especially as you're with a different partner to last time.

I hope you have an easy and stress free pregnancy! (If there is such a thing!) :)

Welcome to Tri 1

Penny x

Hope everything goes well this time and you have a happy healthy 9 months!

Congratulations and fx for a happy stress free pregnancy :) xxxx

Hi hun,

Congratulations. Fx for a nice easy stress free pg for you

Michelle. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member