Episiotomy

Urchin

Reaction score
I noticed that this one thing people are most afraid of in the 5 fears thread.
I have had one, and although it obviously wasn't wonderful I can honestly say it wasn't THAT bad.
I'd had an epidural, so didn't even know it was happening, they just told me I needed a ventuse to help and that was it. They didn't even ask about the episiotomy.

So, I would worry about that too much, by the time you are in full blown labor you will just want it to be over and meet your baby and won't care what they do to make it go faster!

Couldnt agree with you more Urchin. I think we all get ourselves so worked up about what we want, birth plans, how we want it, no drugs, or drugs..etc etc...But believe me when it comes down to it, you just the easiest birth going to deliver that gorgeous little baby.

My first pregnancy went well but just at the end i had full blown eclamptic fits and ended up out of it for about 4 days on Valium straight into my blood stream (due to imcompetance of hospital) Had an episotomy too..which like you say Urchin isnt that bad. So the next time I had an epidural..was wonderful and having my daughter was a breeze. Number Three I decided I had missed out (ha ha ha) on the natural kind of birth and didnt have any pain relief until the last hour..which wasnt too bad and everything was fine. By the time I got to number Four and Number Five i just wanted it all!!!! This time..ive already asked for an epidural cos it was by far the most wonderful birth.

So you see....each birth is very different...ive tried all different ways..but the best way is...."GIVE ME WHAT YOU GOT"

Ragna xxxxxxxxxxxx

I am really worried about an episotomy, so much so that the bit on them in my Miriam Stoppard book actually makes me cry :lol:

I want an epidural, well I do if the pain is really really bad. Until I get there I suppose I don't know what it will be like.

Rosieroo, you may not even know until after if you got an episiotomy or not so there's no point worrying about it.

I really couldn't care less if I get one or not cos when you see your baby the state of your bits will be the last thing on your mind!
:D

It's just the thought of them cutting it down there, it makes me cringe :shock:

It is scary when you think about it but on the plus side you don't feel it and it's a much better option than tearing which happened to my mum when she had me. At least if they cut they can control how much and how deep!! :shock:

What really worries me is how I will feel afterwards. I worry about being so sore I wont be able to look after the baby, bend over, pick him up etc.

When I had my first baby I had "NO EPISIOTOMY" on my birth plan as it was the one thing that scared me more than anything.

I ended up needing one as my baby's head was twisted........it was fantastic!! A jab of local in your bits (ok not nice but not bad when you're in labour anyway) and then you don't feel a thing, quick snip and he was out, I didn't realise it would be so quick, I just thought it would make it easier to get him out but no, he was straight out. I healed wonderfully and my bits were back to normal in no time, yes it was sore for a while but then you are after a VB (vaginal birth) anyway.

With my second baby, I tore and never seemed to heal as well as when I was cut.

Moral of the story.......it's really not that bad.

ranger*goy said:
What really worries me is how I will feel afterwards. I worry about being so sore I wont be able to look after the baby, bend over, pick him up etc.

It's just sitting down that's painful... I guess it is whether you've had an EP or not!

It's a C-section that affects lifting/bending etc.

You're going to be very sore whether you have an episiotomy or not, make sure you have a nice comfy chair ready!!

At least when you have an episiotomy you get a local aneasthetic where as if you tear you don't.

To be honest when you get to that stage of your labour none of this will be a worry......I promise!! :wink:

You don't need to stand up all day.............just find a soft chair................or a rubber ring......LOL

Uuurgh sounds horrid. I'm a really active person so the thought of anything restricting my movements is terrifying. Cant wait to get back to climbing. I havent climbed since sept 2004 and it feels like I've chopped my limbs off!

Being fit and active will be a huge benefit during labour, you will have more stamina etc, I am sure whatever happens to your 'bits' (sorry) you will recover fine, it's really not that bad......it can't be, I've done it twice and I am trying to do it all again!!

Yeah you'll be sore for a week or so. But really, you won't care that much, you'll have a lovely little baby to think about.
If you have a shallow bath with some soothing oils etc in in can help too.
It won;t hurt every minute of every day, just times like when you first sit down and when you stand up. But it's not so noticible other people would guess.. you're not shoutig "OW!" all the time LOL

It is no longer routine to conduct an episiotomy these days. I certainly wouldn't do one unless it was imperative to. On the rare occassions that it would be necessary local anaesthetic will be used, and is very effective. I think it is highly unlikely you will need one. Recovery afterwards is the same as if you were to tear, and your mobility shouldn't be affected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back