Episiotomy

gems

Reaction score
Hi Ladies Hope your all good! Just wondering who out of you had a episiotomy? As I had one when I gave birth 6 days ago and it didn't feel too bad at first but after a couple of days it started to feel very sore down there. I am keeping everything clean and bathing in lavender oil to help the healing but just wanted to know if its normal to feel so sore and if so how long you all felt like this for? My midwife did check on things a few days ago and she said everything looked like its healing ok. Thnak you in advance for any replys. xxxxxxxx

have you triend bathing with salt? get your mw to chk. hopefully its not got an infection :(

lisa&alex said:
have you triend bathing with salt? get your mw to chk. hopefully its not got an infection :(

My mum swore by salt baths. I had an episiotomy after I had Tia as well as several internal 3rd degree tears from the manual removal of my placenta. I had a salt bath sometimes twice a day, and I never had any problems, other than when one of my stitches became really tight because of the healing and had to be removed (very uncomfortable :roll: )

But I never got an infection and it got better within four weeks and I had well over 20+ stitches down there... and it doesn't look any different.

Yes have tried salt before I started with the lavender oil. I think to be honest that perhaps its more due to the fact that I am doing too much as in the morning it doesn't feel that bad but by the end of the day its really sore. My OH says everything looks normal down there I haven't been brave enough to look yet! Am seeing midwife tomorrow so will get her to have a look. I just can't wait to be healed. xxxx

I had one too hun and it does take time to heal.

I used tea tree oil in the bath and it was great!

I got midwife to check me after a couple of weeks and all was good but it did take a while to feel normal again. I think because I knew what had happened it make me think about it more (if that makes sense :roll: )

Give yourself time and you will be right as reign soon enough :hug:

gems said:
Yes have tried salt before I started with the lavender oil. I think to be honest that perhaps its more due to the fact that I am doing too much as in the morning it doesn't feel that bad but by the end of the day its really sore. My OH says everything looks normal down there I haven't been brave enough to look yet! Am seeing midwife tomorrow so will get her to have a look. I just can't wait to be healed. xxxx

I didn't feel normal down there for some time afterwards.. I think a couple of weeks before it started to feel better.... and certainly after just 6 days, it was still an issue... It felt like pulling and heavy... :think: not so much pain.

Hiya,

I had a difficult labour and ended up with and episiotomy. I got an infection which the midwife missed. A day later my auntie (also a midwife) told me it was badly infected! Cue a course of antibiotics and heavy painkillers.

If you get any discharge or itching those are signs of infection. Heavy feelings and soreness are normal.

Unfirtunately becasue of my infection my episiotomy gaped and has not healed properly. It has healed but it looks abnormal. I've just seen the gynecologist this morning and she said that it won't look any different, it's like that forever now. She did say that functionally everything is normal down there. I shouldn't have any probs with intercourse or further births.

But cosmeticaly it's not right. I have to make a decision as to whether I should have surgery later on to make it look right, or whether to be scarred for life! Quite upsetting.

I would recommend that you do look at it, and do it regularly. Stand over a mirror. It's sooooo important to keep an eye on it.

I had to ask for a second opinion.

K.xxx

p.s. I found salt baths MUCH better for the healing and clearing up the infection than lavender.

Mine hurt for about 2 days and I had a lot of stitches, just had warm baths, then I remember it getting really itchy

Thanks for all your replies ladies. I have been brave and had a look down there and all looks ok and the stitches don't look no way near as bad as i thought it would look. Will get the midwife to check it all out anyway. xxxx

Hi I had an one too because Isaac was born with forceps. It is really sore for a while and its a real pain having to deal with it and look after baby! I found weeing in the shower really helped and I always jumped in the shower after having a poo just to make sure I was all clean.

Hope you are all healed soon :D

Tea Tree oil and lots of salt here too :D

I felt like Frankenstein fanny for ages but OH reassured me it didn't look as bad as it felt :D

Happy Healing xxxx

Minxy said:
Tea Tree oil and lots of salt here too :D

I felt like Frankenstein fanny for ages but OH reassured me it didn't look as bad as it felt :D

Happy Healing xxxx

:rotfl: Frankenstein fanny :rotfl: thats a good forum username :rotfl:

My midwife told me salt baths don't help. She said you would have to use so much salt to make any difference that it doesnt help. My mum, aunts, nans swear by them though. she did say though that you can dilute some tea tree oil or lavendar with water in a spray bottle and use that to relieve any discomfort.

I am not sure about the oils vs salt thing, but I can tell you that my midwifes (first two births i had an episiotomy) recommended showers - NOT BATHS until stitches were healed, to avoid infection :hug:

Lisa

I found sitting in the bath really uncomfortable anyway, it felt so hard! I put my rubber ring in there and sat on that. That rubber ring was a god send :wink:

I had one too and for me the pain of it afterwards was much worse than giving birth. It took me about 2 weeks before the pain went.

I used lavender oil in the bath which helped and I took arnica tablets, it's only when I took those that the pain started to subside.

I sat on a rubber ring to take the pressure off down there, it did help ease the pain.

Even when I was out and about though, I would get throbbing pain with it.
It healed nicely but it was still so painful for me.

Luckily it didn't hurt when I did a pee or anything.

It doesn't feel it now but you will feel a whole lot better in a few days.

Hey hun,

I had one after Amber and mine took weeks to heal proporly and still niggles me a bit now when i am getting intimate if you know what i mean.

Mine was very sore in the first week and i actually had to call the midwife because my stiches had split open thankfully not deep enough for me to have to have them re-done.But i did call the midwife out to check me and got some antibiotics and painkiller for it.

If the pain gets worse or unbearable just give them a call thats what they are there for and they can check you out again, as alot can happen down there in a few days. xx

P.s. i bathed in salt water for weeks my mums swore by it too...instead of bubble bath on the corner of the bath there was a big salt holder!! :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back