epidurals

jodie_honey

Reaction score
hello, im just wonderin if any of u ladies know if you can have the epidural right from the start or if u have to suffer abit first lol
i mean will they only give it u if u are in so much pain? im askin this coz im a wimp and the internal hurt me! :S

depends how dilated you are... I turned up at the hospital and was only 2cm dilated but requested my epidural straight away as I'd been told that in Greenwich District, if you didn't you might end up not having one because the anaesthetist wasn't available...

They said they couldn't give me one until I was in full established labour which is when you are 3cms dilated... :roll: So then I asked for pethidine... then gas and air... then paracetamol... but they said because I'd been sick I couldn't have anything... so was left to contract till 3cm's when they finally called down the anaesthetist.. I was about 4/5cm's when he arrived.

If you turn up at the hospital and you are at least 4 cms dilated, they will probably give you the epi straight away if you request it... but it does take some time to get the anaesthetist up to your room and get the epi set up...so there will be a point when you are contracting without pain relief.

In the hospital I am going to they will start them at 4-5 cms dilated

thanx ladies, that helps. im gonna try stay at home as long as i can lol xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back