Epidurals

Missbatesy

Reaction score
How many people have gone it without an epidural? I'm planning on not having one but everyone I know who has had children had one and said I'm mad for saying I want to try without one?! X

I didn't have one and really didn't plan to have one. I had a fairly short labour and managed to go from 4cm to fully dilated in 2 1/2 hours by staying upright and using gas and air.
My friend had a 52 hour labour and had one and said it was the best thing ever!
I suppose you can't rule it out until you know how your labour is going!

I planned not to. But labour was sooo long I had to was physically exhausted. This time again im aiming not to have one!!!

mummy to ds 11/7/11
pregnant *team pink* due 12/9/13

I didn't have one (I did afterwards to sew up a 3rd degree tear) but I wouldn't have changed it: it did hurt, not going to lie, but I didn't want an epidural and I 'enjoyed' (if that's the right word!) the feelings and sensations of giving birth :)

I didn't have one, despite being in the drip to get from 6cm to 10cm!

I wont lie, it was agony BUT I did actually enjoy the delivery - it is such a sense of empowerment to get the baby out.

I'd never rule anything out if we have another as my labour was the total opposite of what I wanted but I was glad I didn't have one this time round... I think I actually found early labour at home worse??

xxxxxxx

I'm planning on having one but I'm kind of thinking 'does it really hurt that much?' - I have suffered real pain several times in my life & I'm kind of swaying towards not having one if I can get by on g&a & other drugs x

My advice personally would be to see how it goes and decide on the day.

You may or may not need one.

I always thought that an EPI meant you couldn't push properly (as you don't feel the urge to 'bear down') but lots of women say that isn't true.

I was so interested I actually started a thread before to see how many women who had an EPI also needed an assisted birth....

http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/labour-birth/316844-epi-assisted-delivery.html

xxxxxxxx

Last edited:
I didn't have one, there was a point where I wanted one but was too stubborn.

It can be done without but each labor is so different that you are better just seeing how you feel at the time x

Tapatalking!

I didn't have one, and my labour was very tolerable. It hurt, of course, but I didn't need any pain relief. I'd personally always try to not have an epidural, but like the other ladies say, every labour and birth are different. I would never opt for one from the beginning, but you will know what's right for you when the time comes. x

My mum had me and my two brother and gas and air. She's not against epidurals, but for her the thought of a needle in her back was too much.

I'd decided I wanted to do the same, but was open to having one if it got too much. However, we've just had our antenatal classes and looked at the birth center attached to our hospital which looks amazing compared to the main maternity ward. If I wanted an epidural, I'd have to be transferred from the birth center to the hospital ward which I really don't want. I'm determined to do it without now!!!!!

I didn't have one. Had a water birth which is amazing.

My friend was adamant she wanted an epidural, but she ended up doing it without both times.

Thinking about it I don't know anyone personally that has had an epidural. All the mums I made friends with didn't have one either.

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

I was strongly against them(having a fear of becoming paralysed) but I had a very long and painful labour so I ended up having one! I wish I didn't as I look back at it now and think it wasn't that bad! But at the time it was. You can plan not to have one and then when the time comes you can change your mind. Good luck xx

I had one and it didn't work :/

So I don't rate them lol.

I did it without. I've had previous surgery on my back and had read it could have a long term negative affect so was determined to not have one. Luckily my labour was very quick, under 6 hours from the first contraction and I was 7cm at my first and only examination so it was bearable. I don't know how I would have been with a long labour though.

When I was taken to the ward, thee was a lady in tears because she was in so much pain after having an epidural a couple of days before, she could barely lift her head. It made me so grateful that I didn't need one.

My mum had one with me and my brother and her labours were only about 10 hours. She thought I was mental for doing it without so think it definately depends on the person and situation.

my sister in law had one, and she advised me to have one but I know 2 other people 1 younger than me, who was really small built and another lady who is the same age as me and both gave birth with gas and air only. I intend to give birth without one, and go in the birthing pool, but I will just have to see how labour goes. Remember that epidural slows everything down, including the babies heartbeat, which is why I intend to go without one, I want to get my baby out as soon as possible. x

I didn't have one. My reasons not to were that I wanted freedom to move during labour, I wanted to be mobile as soon as possible after birth, some women do have side effects like bad headaches, I was worried it could lead to more interventions and the drugs they use are quite powerful and do enter the baby's system.

Labour and birth were a great experience for me. having freedom to move around and be in the possition I wanted was enough to make the pain managable for me and I felt great after the birth, everyone commented on how alert our LO was in the first few days which I belive is partly down to a drug free labour. One thing I didnt really think about until afterwards is how not having an epidural meant I could feel everything during the birth, and I don't mean pain. It was amazing to feel the head born and the shoulders coming out. I could feel exactly what was going on and I liked that. I also had quite a long labour and irregular and weak contractions and a big baby (9lbs 5oz). The MW was worried I wouldn't manage to push her out so I think an epidural may well have tipped the balance for me into needing extra assistance or c section.

So personally I would never opt for an epidural as first choice. I think they do have a place though. They are a great alternative to general anesthetic for a c section and can help during long labours for example it can give the mother a chance to rest which can actually help her deliver without a c section. My labour was 38hrs total and I found the exaustion harder than the pain, if labour had gone into another night I would have struggled to cope.

Last edited:
I had one and felt that I was pushed into it by the midwife, she said that my high BP could have rocketed even more if I was distressed and in pain- something I questioned after the birth! As Carnat said, there is a link between the epi and the need for assistance in some cases, I needed the ventouse x

I didn't have one, but only because needles freak me out. Turns out I have a high pain threshold. I would keep an open mind and just see how you go x

I had one and felt that I was pushed into it by the midwife, she said that my high BP could have rocketed even more if I was distressed and in pain- something I questioned after the birth! As Carnat said, there is a link between the epi and the need for assistance in some cases, I needed the ventouse x

How high was your bp out of interest? I have slightly high bp and it got higher during pregnancy, I was worried it would shoot up during labour. Interestingly my bp didnt get any higher during most of the labour but the MW did take it towards the end of labour and it was 132/110 which is pretty high but I had read that although doctors sometimes freak out about bp its okay for it to get that high as long as its not for an extended amount of time.

I didn't have one, I was never at a point where I felt I needed one, if I felt I did need one I would have had one. Keep an open mind and see how you feel at the time, I don't think anyone can ever tell you if you will need one as every labour is different xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back