Epidural?

ToriElla

Reaction score
What are everyones views? good/bad? going to go for it and if so what worries do you have?

Vicky x

I'm not too sure what my views are. Everyone I have spoken to has sworn bvy one but I just don't fancy the idea mainly because I either want an active birth or a water birth. I am going to a midwife led unit so I do not have the option of an epidural if everything is ok. However I also know that birth can be unpredictable so will keep options open. If everything is ok then I'm not going to have one but if there are complications then I will obviosly re-assess everything.

I think that's a good approach Beanie.

I have back problems so really need to stay off my back during the labour and birth if possible. This means no epidural if I can at all avoid it. Even mobile epidurals are apparently not really 'mobile' in that all you can really do is change positions on the bed with help from 2 other people! And my hospital doesn't offer those anyway.

So my plan A will be water birth, or TENS machine and gas/air if I need it. But if labour is very drawn out and I'm getting really exhausted/not coping well with the pain then I'll opt for the epi.

I won't be able to make this decision until the big day, but like you Beanie, everyone I know who had one said you'd be mad to go through labour without.

LBxx

Hiya

Well my views on Epidurals are that there is no need to have to go through hours of pain with labour when you can have an Epidural and have a calm and painfree birth. I have had 5 children, this baby my 6th and each of the labours were very different. Out of the Five births only one was calm and lovely and that was the one with the Epidural. Don't get me wrong if someone wants to have a "natural" birth then thats fine too, as I tried it with baby number 3, but I know exactly what I will be doing this time for sure.

Its very much a personal thing, but my main concern is that the baby is brought into this world in the easiest way possible and without too much stress on the mother, and in my book painfree sounds pretty appealing lol

BTW when I was having my daughter I was reading a book and they asked me to put the book down as I was about to give birth. I still giggle bout that now. Cos it had started to wear off I was able to push. Was a really lovely experience.

Love Ragna x

Amazing things!

i had a mobile one on both of my kids, which meant i could still feel my legs etc and move about, just with no pain! :D

I wasn't planning to have one for my last birth, but after 18 hours of being 5 minutes apart I needed a break. My hubby managed to get some sleep after I had it aswell, which helped him stay alert for the actual birth.
It was such good pain relief he thought my contractions had actually stopped until I pointed them out to him on the monitor!

You never know what's going to happen, I wanted a water birth, but couldn't have one because I had to be induced. It's a good idea to make a plan, and communicate it to your midwife, but be prepared for it to change!

What are the chances of something going really wrong? i've read that sometimes people aren't really aware of the potential risks.

I think it sounds tempting but I want to know what the chances of something going wrong are :roll:

thoses of you who have had one - were you concerned at the time?

Hiya

I think when I first was told I was going to have a Epidural I was concerned but to be honest the chances of anything going wrong are actually very minimal as it is put in by a trained anaestatist.(cant spell that) and not just anyone. The only side effects that I can remember (17 years ago we are talking about here) were that I had the shakes & a mild headache. I guess they have probably changed a fair amount over the last 17 years so will be interesting when I have one in November.

I would imagine that one of the other main advantages are that if a emergency section is required, you are all ready set up to have one. If you suffer from high blood pressure then it is often recommended as it lowers your blood pressure.

I like the sound of the Mobile Epidural & I will be asking about that when I next go to see the Consultant.

Ragna x

ToriElla said:
thoses of you who have had one - were you concerned at the time?

I couldn't have cared less, I just got to the stage where you place your trust in the doctors. If you'd have asked me at the start I didn't really want one though. It's kind of the same as when you feel a bit embarrased being examined at the start of labour, but by the end you're there with your legs wide open while the world and his best friend take a look!

Urchin

How true what you just said. You can throw any kind of Birth Plan out the window (well i certainly did) & went with anything and everything offered to you.

And as for dignity...that certainly goes !!!

I dont care how I have the baby to be honest as long as its as painfree as possible & the little mite is born as safely as possible.

Ragna xxxxx

I think after what everyone has said I'm definitley starting to sway in favour of it. I'm just scared about the having to stay really still part - incase i move by accident :? *cringe*

I know exactly what you mean about the staying still part! I'm kind of hoping (if that's the word!) that by the point I'm asking for one I'll be able to do just about anything in the pursuit of pain relief!

+++

I'm just scared about the having to stay really still part

What is this? I wasn't aware you would have to stay really still for any of it!!! Still so much I don't know... :(

ToriElla said:
What are the chances of something going really wrong? i've read that sometimes people aren't really aware of the potential risks.

3% of women may experience bad head aches after an epidural, if so you can be perscribed something for this. the chances of paralysis or any harm being done to your spinal cord are even smaller than your chances of being hit by a jumbo jet.

In comparison your changes of some form of side effects from pethadine are about 90% and that is what a lot of people dont realise!

Cat: Thanks! Your info made me feel alot less stressed about it!

Littlebump: you have to stay still when they put the epidural in your back because it is so near your spine. suppose when you come to think of it you have to with a blood test really...

You have a much higher chance of intervention (forceps, ventouse or episiotomy) or c-section if you have an epidural.

I loved my epidural! I went in on a Wednesday night to be induced. After they placed the cervidil, I started to get mild contractions. They were tolerable. On Thursday morning they started me on the Pitocin and that's when the pain set in because my contractions were very regular and very strong. They gave me some Staydol Thursday night that helped me sleep through the contractions but I still felt the pain. So Friday morning, before my midwife broke my water, I opted for an epidural. I went in not wanting one because I was afraid of moving and becoming paralyzed or having a catheter inserted since I'd be confined to the bed. I was in so much pain though, I didn't even think about that....I just wanted some relief!! Boy oh boy, I was so happy after the anesthesiologist inserted it. No pain at all, just felt tons of pressure. I went on to have a vaginal delivery with no episiotomy and no tearing. I had a wonderful and patient midwife!

My only complaint was I had a spinal headache afterwards. I think it's quite uncommon to get one as severe as mine though. I'll still get an epidural for my future labors. It was so worth it.

Personally, my epidural was the best thing that I had during labour. I woke up at 3.45am with quite strong contractions every 3 minutes, and they stayed like this. All they gave me for the first few hours was paracetamol as I wasn't dilating at all. At about 5pm, they gave me pethadine. Definitely not recommended!!! All I did was sleep, wake up during a contraction, sleep, wake up to throw up, then sleep. For 3 hours, the only time I was awake, I was in pain or being sick - not nice! At about 8.30pm I asked for an epidural. The midwife said 'let's leave you for another hour and we'll see how you go!'. Well, needless to say, she received a few well chosen words (well screams!), and then proceeded to call the aneasthetist!!
Once I was wheeled through to the delivery room, he turned up, I had a couple of seconds of uncomfortable pushing in my back when he inserted the needle, but then pain free! I managed to get some sleep then, and they topped up the epidural (can't remember if once or twice). I finally started pushing at 3.45am and my daughter was born at 5.15am. I was still absolutely shattered after, but if I had not had the epidural, I know full well that I would not have been able to cope with the actual birth at all.
This was 12 years ago, and as I wasn't working at the time, I was able to go to every single anti-natel class, and the one thing I will say is that the midwifes at these classes constantly pushed for a natural birth with minimal pain relief. When I finally plucked up the courage to ask for an epidural, I felt a complete failure. I also could not stop apologising to my oh (ex) as I felt I was weak and had also let him down because I couldn't do it on my own.
I am currently ttc again, and I know that when i do finally conceive, I will opt for an epidural at the first twinge! I was not and am not a failure. Giving birth is very easy for some, but not for others. Some people have a very quick delivery, but still feel that they have been through the mill after. Others have a long labour, but sail through it. Everyone is different, and although people will always offer advice, do what you want and what feels right for you.

i agree with tankett on this i had an epidural on my son i had already been in labour for 30 hours the pethidine was making me violently sick the gas and air was making me not know who i was in the end my midwife thought i should have an epidural and almost straight away i slept like a baby i was so tired it was hard to keep still while they were putting it in because my contractions were constant by then but it was wonderful after id had it gave birth about 7 hours lata no pain just lots of pressure will definately be having one if and when i get pregnant and go into labour :D :D :D

you have to stay still when they put the epidural in your back because it is so near your spine. suppose when you come to think of it you have to with a blood test really...

Ah - I thought you meant you had to stay really still for the childbirth part!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back