epidural worries

fiona kipling

Reaction score
i am 36 weeks pregnant and very scared about my labour. This is my first baby and my partners second.
Im concerned about my reaction in labour to the pain and dont want to make a fool of myself in front of doctors and my fiance.
Is an epidural a cowardly way out? OR what is the strongest pain relief available that wont make me feel sick?
Very very anxious.

I'm not sure about cowardly, we all have fears and worries about how we will cope with labour.

The best advice I have been given is to wait and see how it goes. Some women are lucky and get to 4/5 cm dilated without much pain whereas for others every cm is agony.

Also no matter what you will not make a fool of yourself in front of the doctors and nurses. They are there to make your experience as easy as possible and they will have seen it all before.

Finding the pain hard to deal with is a fear of mine, but I figure if I need to take drugs to help me deal with that pain then fine. Everyone and every birth is different, and who knows, you may have a better pain threshold than you think!

Ask your midwife to explain all the different pain relief methods and side effects, she is there to help you prepare for the birth of your baby and worrying about it is not what she would want you to do!

I agree with everything Becky said. I'm planning on a natural birth but I have no clue how painful it's going to be, so I'm leaving my options open. If I can't deal with the pain then I'll opt for an epidural, if time allows! :D

My advice would be to see how it goes as it varies so much from person
to person.

I didn't set out a rigid plan as you are just setting yourself up to fail and you never know how the situation will unfold. I used gas and air and had 1 shot of pethedine at around 6cm with my first daughter. There's no denying it was painful but I would't change it.

I wouldn't worry about how you look to others, everyone around you wants to make you as comfortable as possable and ensure you & baby are healthy. I can assure you the last thing on your mind will be what they are thinking. Nature does just take over and you kind of remove yourself from the situation. I was only in labour 7 hours but can only remember parts of it, it was all a bit surreal. and compared to when my daughter was actually born none of the rest matters.

Hope all your birth experiences are positive....mine too!

Firstly Congratulations!!!!! Not long now. Im the Mother of Five Children and each of my pregnancys and labours were completely different. I tired it all....Drug Free Labour as natural as possible, Give me everything you have got Labour, I want an epidural Labour NOW, and I can say that the best labour of all was the one where I had a Epidural. The Whole Experience was lovely to be honest. I sat reading a book, and they told me if I would mind putting the book down as I was ready to push..Honestly!!!
I gave birth to my daughter Nikki who is now 17 aaggrrrrr believe me...thats when the problems start! and they stitched me up and I felt nothing.
I had all these ideas before I had children, how i was going to have this birth plan, they wernt going to do this...or that..But to be honest when you get in there, you just go with the flow. Like the others have said, just do what you feel is right. Its not a Cop out....Why would it be. Too much is made of the Labour, at the end of the Day, what is safest and the least painfree for you has to be the best way for both you and the baby. We dont have to suffer like they used to, it doesnt have to be a horrific experience with dreadful pain...If men had Babies..Im sure by now there would be a TOTALLY PAIN FREE WAY of giving birth.
Good Luck !!!!!!

al i have to say is get the EPIDURAL!!!!! it was the best thing i evey did. but hold out as long as you can cause if you get it to early it will ware off!(and trust me no matter what stories you hear,the epidural doesnt hurt a bit! honest i didnt feel a thing, the IV hurt more.)

so good luck in what ever you choose !

L

I imagined the epidural to hurt :? makes me cringe thinking about putting it in your spine ouch! my mam had gas and air with all three of her kids. Do you think that is effective too?

Well the Epidural can be painful when its administered but it dosnt last for long. The have to use a Anetheist (cant spell that) which you may have to wait for, and then you turn on to your side where they find the right spot and put the needle in. Once its working you will feel NO pain whatsoever and you will have the sensation though to push..which I did with my daughter. The labour with the Epidural was 100% wonderful.

I had gas and air with the others. Yes its effective too, but I found that I didnt really know what was going on in a way. Woudlnt knock it though and Boy yes it works, for the short period its meant too.

Will definately be opting for the Epidural this time!!!

Hi

I am 7 weeks pg and already I know I want to have an epidural! This is from watching alot of discovery health and being a birthing partner twice already. I also had a kidney infection which put me in hospital a couple of years ago and I was given pethadine for 3 days for the pain. They told me a kidney infection is more painful than childbirth! (I can't wait to see if thats true) :wink: Well the pethadine was lovely, I must admit, and it did stop the pain but it also made my breathing very shallow and I almost couldn't move because I felt so sedated. I know the dose may be diferent when giving birth but from my experience I couldn't even get to the toilet without someone holding me up let alone give birth!

I may not be able to have an epidural because I have spina bifida occulta so I may end up having to use pethadine but I really hope not.

lou

thankyou for all your different advice and views..... im now due in 2 days, and talking to my midwife today about my options for pain relief.
i will let you know how it goes.
pregnancy forum has been fantastic, and very supportive throughout.
thankyou xxxxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania89
Back