Epidural Question

Sparky Mum

Reaction score
Hey everyone, second timer here!

Long story short, I wanted a water birth with DD but due to Group B Strep I had to have an antibiotic drip and wasn't allowed in the pool. This time around I know I don't (presently) have GBS but it's debatable whether I'll be allowed a water birth again.

I was induced last time, it all happened so fast when it finally worked and an epidural wasn't an option, but this time I am determined to go into labour naturally, and I'm just wondering at what point during labour do they give the epidural? I've heard it's when you're in 'established labour' but I can't find any information as such on the NHS website, and don't know what established labour means anyway.

Anyone in the UK have the answer please?
Is it so many cm dilated before they will give you one?

Thanks!

“Established labour” usually means when you’re able to be admitted to the birthing suite, so 4-5cm dialated depending on the hospital. I know I’m not in the UK so might be slightly different but I think the definition is pretty universal. x

My hospital will give you one whenever you ask after that point. They’ll try to talk you into other pain relief first but if you’re firm they’ll give it to you at 4cm. I assume it’ll be pretty similar for you.

I did have an epidural in the end. I was 5cm dilated when I arrived at the maternity assessment unit. This was considered established labour and I was transferred to the delivery suite. I carried on with gas and air for a bit before requesting one so I was probably somewhere between 5-6cm by that point. I'd planned to stay active in labour but as we had needed to be monitored, I was no longer able to be active like I was at home so I felt getting the epidural on board was a reasonable compromise.

Yes normally around 4cm although i have seen it done earlier. For instance if someone is contracting regularly at 2cm but is fully effaced you know she’s doing things - which is what happened to someone I cared for recently in labour, so she had an early epidural because of the distress she was in.
Just as a side note, you should still be able to have antibiotics in the pool, we do it all the time. They just need to let it run through rather than have it on an electric pump.

I had some swabs done and do not have Group B Strep currently present, midwife gave me a copy of the notes to take with me on the day but it's at the discretion of whoever is in charge so fingers crossed.

Thanks for all your replies.
'Epidural and chill' doesn't have the same ring to it as a water birth does! But it's good to know what my options are and when :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back