Engorged breasts

ruby2015

Reaction score
Posted this in breastfeeding too but may get more responses here! Since yesterday one breast has been painfully engorged- absolute agony, even just when I lift my arm or walk. It feels like it's bruised all over and is massive compared to the other one. I'm still using it for nursing but I'm not sure how much milk he's actually getting- he's not gulping as much as he does with the other one but he does stay latched on for a while. I've tried to express but hardly anything comes out and it makes it even more sore.
What can I do? How do the hot / cold compresses work? I'm so uncomfortable!

You need some spa-hot flannels on the top and around the side of your breast. I would get a tub of very hot water so you can reheat your flannels. I would try pumping again but with hot flannels (you should be able to feel the heat on your skin but not so that it burns you). What pump are you using?

Edited to add - I wouldn't use cold compresses as they will restrict your supply and can reduce your supply.

Last edited:
Thanks so much- I will try the flannels and it's good to know I shouldn't use cold. Arrgh I wish it would just get better! I don't have a pump yet so have been expressing by hand

Savoy cabbage! Pop in the fridge and stick a leaf in your bra - it should draw out any blockages.

If you start to feel unwell and flu like it could be the start of mastitis so keep an eye on it and a trip to gp may be necessary x

Heat heat heat! Stand in the shower and massage breast to release some of the engorgment then as soon as your out shower try and express again. Flannels are another good one, just any form of heat really. Hope it eases up soon, it's the worst!

Sounds like you have mastitis starting to me. I'd get to the docs ASAP if you start feeling flu like at all. I unfortunately lost my supply on that Brest when I got it and it never returned despite every effort x

Thanks so much everyone. I've managed to avoid mastitis but I'm so sorry to read your story Hoping for no. 2- that's so sad. I did have flu-like symptoms so was v worried. But I phoned the breastfeeding helpline which I really recommend if anyone else is reading this in the same situation in future. She talked me through positioning for latching (I'd been getting it wrong on this breast) and also gave me some massage techniques for helping the milk flow- both before feeding and before expressing- that and the heat from flannels / hot water bottle got things moving straightaway and I was much better just in 24 hours. I'm still not feeling 100% but the worst is definitely over. Now my nipples kill- it's endless LOL!!!

Thanks so much for all the advice- am unbelievably grateful for this forum!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back