Employers and Sickness during Pregnancy

BlondeP

Reaction score
Hi ladies.

Can your employer basically forced you to go back to work even though you are signed off by a doctor? I've been told I was the last option and had to go in for training reasons with a client so felt pressured into it and have done only to find out I wasn't actually desperately needed.

I feel they aren't taking my sick note as seriously as they would any other person. I've been signed off for stress, exhausted and depression for two weeks to try settle myself but it's seems as they can see my illness they won't accept it.

Help :(

Oh f that! I'd get on to HR lovely. Being signed off means you're signed off. Pregnant or not! Xx

I'd have replied to the email asking me to come in during signed off sick leave and copied in HR manager politely pointing out the note that you have (attached again) and innocently enquiring as to whether the company requires anything further. That should shut them up. Always put stuff in writing because it pressures them right back.

Absolutely not! Your GP has signed you off as being unfit for work end of.
Its not your problem if they need someone x

I believe if you are signed off work the insurance that your work place holds for you being an employee is not valid therefore you're not allowed to be in work. They cannot and should not force you in when you're signed off.

Nope you can not work whilst signed off, It is probably illegal for them to force you to come in when signed off. Call ACAS for advice x

You are allowed to be in work when signed off (the insurance thing is a myth) - there is no requirement for someone who is signed off work to get a note from their GP to say they can go in. People can and do go back to work before their sick note expires and there is no issue with that. In certain circumstances it may be OK to ask an employee to do some work when signed off sick eg someone signed off due to a broken leg could still dial into an audio meeting if necessary. However I would say in your circumstances it would not be appropriate to ask you to do any work whilst you're signed off and in this instance your employer was wrong to pressure you back into work. If anything like this happens again i would be firm and say that you're not well enough xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back