Emilia-Rose Elizabeth, 11 July 2013 at 27 weeks

AnnaMS

Reaction score
Ok, so I'll start my birth story, but it may be a bit vague as it only happened yesterday.

Wednesday evening (10 July), I started to get a really tight feeling all over bump and wasn't sure if they were Braxton Hicks or contractions, as I'd never had BH's before. So I decided to time them and they were around 20 minutes apart, lasting 3 seconds. I decided that they could be mild contractions, but as they were bearable went to bed.

At 6am I woke up, after a fitful sleep, due to heat and being uncomfortable. I timed the contractions and they were now every 5 minutes so I had a feeling I was in labour. My husband called the hospital and they told us to come in to be checked. He said he hoped it wasn't labour, but I was pretty sure it was.

Once we had got our other 2 children up and dressed, we took them to their grandparents and explained what was happening. So we left them to have breakfast.

On arrival, I was put on a monitor which showed the contractions were peaking every 10 minutes - they were so sore! Emilia was checked and apart from lying very low down, she was doing fine. Heartbeat was Ok and no signs of distress. I was also examined and my cervix was softening but not yet dilated, but they could feel her head and waters bulging.
I was given a steroid injection for her lungs, in case she did decide to come.

I was then placed on a drip of magnesium sulphate to try and stop the contractions and labour. I was told that if labour started, then I'd have her in the next couple of days.

I managed to get some sleep from 2 - 5.30 pm. I must have needed it as I was so shattered. I was examined when I woke up and was shocked to be told I was 6cm! So I had dilated in my sleep. The drip was taken out, as it wasn't working much as I was now contracting every 3 minutes and in agony.

I was given another steroid injection and taken through to delivery at just before 6pm. I saw other medical staff, who were obviously from SCIBU. I said to them that they had to take good care of my girl. I was so emotional and in real pain.

My waters were then immediately broken and within 30 minutes of hard pushing, contracting, puffing on gas and air, Emilia-Rose Elizabeth Stevenson arrived, 3lb 12oz. All I got was a glimpse of her dark hair, as the staff swarmed round her, giving her oxygen before taking her to the SCIBU. I was now in floods of tears, but of joy as I was now a Mum of 3.
My placenta was then delivered with ease.

I was then taken through to recovery and taken up to the ward later My husband came up later, as he went to be with Emilia. He said she is gorgeous and a real fighter. She is on tubes for oxygen, steroids and feeding.

I'm to be in here for the next few days as I am so sore and weak, but doing fine.

Will post photo when I am back home.

Emilia-Rose Elizabeth Stevenson
Born: Thurs 11 July @ 27 weeks
Weight: 3lb 12oz. Not 4lb 3oz as I had posted. I must have heard it wrong as I was so out of it on gas and air.

Last edited:
Congratulations! Must have been quite a whirlwind of a day and it must all seem very surreal! But well done on the birth of your little girl - such a pretty name!

Congrats so scary for u hope ur little lady is doing well x

Huge congratulations! I can't believe you managed to sleep until 6cm! I hope I do that! hehe x

Aww how scary but huge congratulations xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

Congratulations! Hope you're both good and are able to go home soon xxx

congratulations i have added you to the due dates thread in tri 3 as having had her. bless you both hope she gets to come home soon xxxx

Huge congratulations! Look forward to seeing a photo of your little lady xx

Congratulations hun. Looking forward to seeing photos of your little early baby. xxx

Thank you for taking the time to share your birth story with us.
Take Care of yourself hun...you are both in the best place.

xx

congratulations hun! hope you are both doing well xxx

Congratulations so glad that both of you are doing fine. Xx

I am getting back home tomorrow, although I'll be here every day with Emilia.

Emilia is doing fine. Her brother and sister were in on Saturday to see her for the first time. They were so good. Georgia was even allowed to put her hand in to touch her gently - lovely to see. Alexander was a bit shocked I think as he just wanted to cuddle into me and husband, but I noticed he looked over to check that Emilia was still there and hadn't gone away.

No word yet as to when Emilia will be allowed home, as she is still on oxygen and steroids.

Last edited:
Aw in glad she is doing ok Hun what a scary time for u xx

Congratulations and I'm glad she is a little fighter! :love: Well done x I hope she comes on leaps and bounds and is allowed home soon.

Congratulations! :D She's a tough cookie, I hope she goes from strength to strength now. xxxx

awww what a lovely name.Congratulations. Just goes to sow we really don;t know when they might arrive! She obviously wanted out. Fx for a short stay in hospital hun, she sounds like a right little fighter so I'm sure she'll be stronger everyday xxxx

aww congrats I hope your little one is doing well :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back