Embarrassing and stupid question about womens anatomy

bagpuss

Reaction score
:oops: Hello!!Now this is very embarrassing,I can't believe I am asking this because I feel so stupid,and I'm not thick :? - I have my A level in biology, but I am in a flap now about it,so here goes!

I have never took any notice of this before,but I have recently began perineal massage,to lessen my chances of tearing or the need for an episiotomy.Now I have been following instructions from a site very well,but (now here is the stupid bit)when I insert my fingers I can feel boney areas either side,which I am presuming is my pelvis,but quite close,closer than I thought.Now here is the other stupid bit - I really don't know how my baby will pass through ( :oops: I can't believe I am typing this :oops: )It seems too narrow - I know the babys' skull isn't fused so as to assist it on its way out,but I really can't see my little one getting out of here the proper way!! Dave has said he's never felt anything before,and has never taken any notice,but I cannot stop thinking about this.
I know we are all different,but is this normal??Anyone care to divulge on whether they feel quite narrow "up there"and put my mind to rest :oops:

Well here goes....

I also feel too narrow for a baby to come through. Damien's head was 31.5cm around when born and I swear my pelvis isn't that big!!

The average full termer boy is 35cm around head circumference 34.5cm for a full term girl.

Your pelvis isn't fused, it has some slight degree of movement (hence SPD) and as you say, the bones in their heads aren't fused either so they can be 'squashed'.

One of them magic mysteries I guess?!

Only on few women (normally the tiniest petitest of people) end up having a section as the baby will litrally not pass through. My midwife said to me when i was pregnant, nature is generally good to you and will only give you a baby you can manage to birth naturally.

Hi Bagpuss,

I expected quite a few people have thought the same sort of thing, I know its crossed my mind, how on earth will my baby be able to get out there!? :shock: (makes my eyes water just thinking about it!)

Our vagina is made up of so many muscles and ligaments etc that can stretch easily to make room for a baby to pass through & towards to end of pregnancy the hormone relaxin is at its highest preparing everything to stretch and relax which in turn enables our pelvis to open wider to accomodate the babe, however I guess it does depend on how big the baby is & how much our bodies will stretch if the baby will get stuck, that's why some have emergency C-sections (this happened to a friend of mine!)

We talked about massaging down there in our parent craft class & the M/W said that every women is different and some womens perniums are longer or shorter, stretchy or less stretchy than others and only when we go into labour & start to push will they know how things will pan out! :shock:

I have to say that I do feel quite tight down there but I haven't had a baby before & I expect thats makes a difference (I htink thats why some women have there bits tightened after they've had kiddies!) i'll let you know what its like after i've had a few sprogs! :lol:

Don't worry about it though hun, your babe will come out one way or another :lol:

Nicki.x :D

I have to say my perimeum is a bit more strecthy after having Damien. I'm not slack though! honest :oops: :oops:

God I must be really slow then I have just been massaging my bit skin between vag and anus :oops: :oops: :shock: :shock: I didnt realise I had to go inside to massage.

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

I cant stop laughing to myself :lol:

one thing ild recomend after birth is do your pelvic floor exercise, down there has never been to same since my daughter.. :oops:

Thanks Sami,

This makes much more sense. :lol:

Sarah

:) Thanks for all of your replies- I am so glad I asked now - I feel a lot better!

mum2bihope,the link Sami posted is the one I have been following,I have been doing it now for a couple of weeks,and I have noticed a difference,so has Dave.He has been doing it for me as I was finding it hard to reach down there,I couldn't breath and relax enough,so he's took over(bless!)He has also noticed the difference.However,I was still concerned about my pelvic area,hence the "embarrassing"question!
I never thought about the pelvis also being able to have that slight movement - aren't bodies amazing!! I'll be worried about my pelvis splitting next!!
Thanks again everyone,you're all :angel:
Bagpuss xx

:oops: mum2bihope dont worry hun i thought same lol and im 32 with one child already lol xxxx

Thanks Bagpuss,

I am going to give it a go tonight, great idead at getting partner to do it but mine would think I was inviting him for u not what :roll: and that I was just teasing him.

LOl Rach I cant stop chuckling to myself. I feel so silly.
:wall:

Sarah x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back