Ellena?

Dee83

Reaction score
Ladies, this is the 3rd time I’ve posted in the name thread as we’re really struggling for a name for our baby girl who will arrive 3 weeks today!!

We have the surname Evans and both quite like Elle or Ella but as nicknames, we would prefer a stronger name for her if possible that we could shorten! I’m liking Eleanor but hubbys not to sure, thinks it sounds a bit old. I’m not sure about the original spelling either as I used to have a friend in school called Eleanor and it used to get pronounced Ella-nor all of the time where I prefer it pronounced Ellen-er. What do you guys think, could I spell it Ellena? How would you pronounce that?

Thanks for any opinions, they are so appreciated as we’re getting desperate :) xxx

I would pronounce it Ellen aa but that is just where I am from we don't really pronounce there er strongly.
I know a Eleanor and she's known as Ella .

But isn't Ellena meant to sound similar to Elaina ?

Last edited:
I would presume Ellena is pronounced like you intend it - Ellen-a

My cousins daughter is Elena with an accent on it which she pronounces Ellen-a but i struggle not to call her Elaine-a

i think the double L makes it clear its Ellen-a but it will probably get spelt wrong all the time!

Yes, Elena is usually pronounced Elaine-a so I thought the double L might stop people thinking that. Like you say, I’m also worried about people spelling it incorrectly too. I’m finding looking for a name so stressful, with my son it was fun but really struggling this time :wall2:

Thanks for your opinions :)

I would pronounce Elaine-a which I like, not sure how many would guess at the pronunciation you want,depends how much you mind correcting people and spelling out the name for them.

If spelling it correctly bothers you then I would go for a simple spelled how it sounds name that people are familiar with (although I have one of these and some people still get it wrong!).

Don't stress, a name may suddenly come to you. We spent over a week deciding on our name once he was here,I liked testing a few out, seemed to help.

Thanks snowbee. That’s the thing, I don’t want her to have to correct people throughout her life really but I think it would be the same if I spelled it the traditional way, Eleanor, she will still get people pronouncing it Elean-or. So either way it looks like it might happen :roll:

My friends little girl is Elena and pronounced the way you suggest Elen-a.”lovely name x

I'm going to sound like a right hypocrite as I'm about to post a topic very similar to this so you'll probably laugh at my response to yours

up where I am Eleanor is definitely pronounced "OR", not sure if that's because I'm nearly in Scotland or if it's just because thats right. however, there are also Elena's and Ellena's both pronounced the way you prefer

a friend of mine (well more old work colleague) has an Eleanor but wants it pronounced the way you do, Ellena, she has to correct people constantly and gets really annoyed about it but in honesty I just think she should have spelt it the other way

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back