Electric Breast Pump

Charlie:-)

Reaction score
Hi there,

I posted this in the product review section but I only had 1 reply, which to be honest didnt really help, so please dont move my post.

Im looking to purchase an electric breast pump. Do you have any experience of using one?

If so which brand?

Would you recommend it & why?

At the moment im looking at these 3 brands but oopen to all suggestions and recommendations:-

Melda
Ameda
Avent isis IQ

I have the Medela Swing, which was more expensive than the mini but worth every penny imo. Can highly recommend :)

I can recommend it because I let down easily with it due to the two stage pumping which mimics the faster sucking that babies use to begin a feed to encourage you to let down. It also extracts milk quickly and painlessly. Some of the other pumps are quite brutal.

I used a manual pump and got on fine with that, but I did look into hiring one to try before you buy. You can hire from the NCT - I can't remeber how much it was but it was a very nominal amount and much cheaper than buying one.
I wouldn't invest too much yet - you might find you get on with a manual one (i pumped 6oz every morning, sometimes up to 8oz, in around 10-15 mins while Charlotte was feeding on the other side).

I've used the medela mini, it was ok, if not a bit painful. When I had some breastfeeding issues, the breastfeeding advisor that came to see me, brought and lent me the ameda double electric pump (which is VERY expensive as I found out online) which was better because it is more adjustable to your suction and speed preferences (+it's double so in theory it saves time). I still have them both at home but...I only use the Avent manual one as it's more comfortable for me and I let down easily with it and in total I express more milk in less time, so it works for me.

I used to use Tommee Tippee manual breas pump for a while: it felt fine for my breasts but I got a swolen anckle from pumping :-(. I am now using Medela mini electric pump - it is not as good as Tommee Tippee one but it does the job.

The breastfeeding network have a couple of makes that they recommend for rent. I have posted the link below, the info is on page 2 of the leaflet.

http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/ ... toring.pdf

I had to give EBM to my baby for the first 3 weeks and the breasfeeding counsellor from the hospital sent us home with a double pump on loan. I can't remember the make but it was a good one. You could control the suction and the rate at which the pump pumped. That way you had a quick but light suction at the beginning to get your let down going and then you can change the settings so that you get a stronger vaccuum and a longer suck to mimick the babys suck as it changes through a feed. Perhaps if you contact the breastfeeding counsellor at your hospital they can recommend or might be able to rent you a decent pump.

I looked at the Avent Isis before I had the baby, not knowing at that point in time that I would need to exclusively give EBM for a few weeks. The only difference that I could see with the Avent Isis and their manual pump was that the Isis pumps exactly as the manual would, you just don't need to physically continue pumping with your hand once you have set it up. I now use the avent manual as the electric pump went back to the hospital once feeding was established and Iam really pleased with it - can express 200mls in under 10 minutes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back