Elective section ... What are the rules?

MrsB2105

Reaction score
Got my 32 week growth scan coming up and I am considering asking about having a section ... Not sure if I'm allowed to ask and what grounds to ask on though.

At the mw the other day she had a feel and thinks twin 1 is still breech. I hate the waiting game and I would just rather know when I'm having them, plus I have an irrational fear of having them either side of midnight.

Has anyone opted for an elective section? If so what grounds were they on? And are we allowed to request one?

Thanks in advance x

As far as I'm aware it's your birth and you have the right to chose how to deliver your babies xx

I just worry that they will say no and then make me have one anyway, Drs can be right pains when they want to be x

Last edited:
Any woman who wants one has the right to a CS under the NHS. They have to explain the extra risks of surgery to you and can require that you do counciling but if you still want one they have to give you one. Of course in practice while some women have no problems with their request some find it harder. Some are told straight out they cant have a CS without medical grounds but generally if they persist they will get one. A consultant does have the right to refuse to do a CS himself but is required to refer you to one who will. Having said all that Id be really surprised if they argued about you deciding on a CS with twins.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to have to ask, especially if twin 1 is still breech at the scan, at least it will mentally help me if I know how long I have to go, this is turning into a difficult pregnancy quite fast, and my poor son wants me to play duplo and crawl around on the floor with him and I physically can't do that, which in turn makes me feel terrible x

I've opted for one but they made me jump through hoops and I'm in Scotland so not sure how policies vary. Although I had a natural birth the first time it was awful and although it's unlikely that my drawn out labour has contributed to my sons additional support needs they can't rule it out. Medically though I have no reason. I was referred to a consultant midwife and a fear of birth clinic and we discussed the options of Hypnobirthing etc. I then told my own midwife I still wanted a section and she referred me to a consultant who talked through the risks and agreed to go ahead. I'm booked in on 1st August - I'll be 39 weeks xx

I wonder if it makes a difference if you speak to the right person then.
My son was natural birth, no issues or anything apart from the cord ruptured immediately after having him. I have a gut feeling that I'm going to have to have one anyway so I may aswell ask for it and get the ball rolling x

If one twin is still showing breech at your 32 scan they are very likely to start suggesting a section anyway, especially if the breech twin is the one with first access to the exit route as it were.... And, I would actually play up the cord rupture with your first to the consultant/midwife as if that happened again but with one baby born and the other still in-situ etc, they'd be dealing with a complicated delivery either way.

Hope you get what you want and without too much trouble xx

Twin 2 was transverse on the last scan too, my sensible head tells me I should have a section as it would be the safest and calmest way to bring them both into the world x

If baby is breach they will start talking about a section. However my hospital policy is you can ask for one but they make you see someone to discuss your reasons and make it pretty hard really. A section cost the nhs ALOT of money so they try not to do them unless necessary.

I had an ecs with my first and opting for an elective this time. I thought I might be put under pressure to go for a vbac but at no stage has any one tried to push me against a section. It's totally up to you and they have to listen to what you want, I really don't think they will argue with you. I have my consultant app at 36wks and will get my section date then.

Will it not be too late to ask at 32 weeks? X

No 32 weeks is fine. They told me I can change my mind at any time and if I'm unsure I don't need to make a decision until I go in to labour. You can go in to labour naturally the when you get to hospital ask for section they can't say no. Try not to worry about it

I'm clueless on the section part as my son was born naturally, they haven't really given me much info on them either they just keep pointing out that I'm high risk of having one. I did read that recovery is better from a planned one than from an emergency one. I just hate the not knowing, I'm pretty certain I need one anyway so I may as well ask for one and then I know what is going on x

Tri hoping Hun, my consultant said to me if the babies are laying correctly then she'd be happy for me to labour naturally but if not then it'll be an elective section but that I could also choose if I wanted a section too. I said to hubby that I'd rather choose than end up with an emergency so I'd defiantly ask for sure. She also said with non identical they wouldn't let me go past 38 weeks but if I'd had identical it would have been earlier ? X

Aww congrats on the twins :), do you know if they are identical? Mine are non identical boys, I think twin 2 has moved from transverse but not sure if he is breech or head down, it's twin 1 that's the main worry lol. I was also told my goal was 38 weeks. There are a lot more risks involved for identical twins as they share a placenta etc and it gets complicated as I have been told x

Thanks hon ours are non identical, there's 3 twin mummies to be in the January due thread :)
How's lovely 2 boys, my sister has 9yr old identical boys
Yes with identical they have the risk of TTTT which my sister had but being non identical we are classed as low risk
How have you found your pregnancy? X

I don't personally agree with an elective section for the hell of it with no medical grounds - but ofcourse everyone is entitled to their own labour I guess.. They recently changed the NICE guide lines meaning that you are within right to ask for a CSEC for no reason now - although ofcourse sometimes they make it difficult because it costs the service more, more staff etc and of course it comes with different risks.

Given that yours are twins though, I doubt theyd shoot you down or make it hard for you alot of people opt for CSEC with twins automatically, never mind one being breech - I think alot opt because alot of early inductions turn out to be emergency CSECs anyway - so your just as well opting straight for the CSEC if that is your choice of labour.

My friend just had twins over a month ago and delivered herself at 36w (induction) - I was mega surprised to hear that. I dont think except her I know anyone who has had twins via natural labour.

Good luck.

xxxx

Oh fab, that's quite a few twin mummies, first tri was bad morning sickness, 2nd tri was great - I felt really healthy, got fed up with all the comments on how big my bump was and then towards the end my hips and back started hurting ... I am only 5ft 2 to be fair lol ... Now I'm in the 3rd tri and I am struggling to be honest, I haven't eaten properly as I have no space left, I have the back ache and struggling to walk and sleep ... Discovered yesterday a hot water bottle is a great help with the aches :), I am very ready for babies to arrive now but I do want them healthy :) having said all that about the aches and pains they will be thoroughly worth it :)

How have you found it so far? X

I don't personally agree with an elective section for the hell of it with no medical grounds - but ofcourse everyone is entitled to their own labour I guess.. They recently changed the NICE guide lines meaning that you are within right to ask for a CSEC for no reason now - although ofcourse sometimes they make it difficult because it costs the service more, more staff etc and of course it comes with different risks.

Given that yours are twins though, I doubt theyd shoot you down or make it hard for you alot of people opt for CSEC with twins automatically, never mind one being breech - I think alot opt because alot of early inductions turn out to be emergency CSECs anyway - so your just as well opting straight for the CSEC if that is your choice of labour.

My friend just had twins over a month ago and delivered herself at 36w (induction) - I was mega surprised to hear that. I dont think except her I know anyone who has had twins via natural labour.

Good luck.

xxxx

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of sections ... They petrify me lol
But as twin 1 is breech I need to know what's happening so i can wrap my head around it and prepare myself for it mentally hence asking for one, if I'm going to have to have one I would rather have some control over it ... If that makes sense x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back