Elective c-section.....

My1stBaby

Reaction score
Which (if any) of you ladies have experienced a c-section, planned/elected/emergency and what kind of experience did you have?

Spoke to my midwife today and I mentioned how paranoid and fearful I am about something going wrong in the rest of my pregnancy as i have had loads of complications; mostly to do with me catching a serious virus and she thinks is perfectly acceptable for me to elect for a c-section due to the experience I've had.

I haven't made up my mind yet but I am going to mention it to my consultant next week and see what they say... what does everyone think?

xxx

I had an emergency with Dylan and am having a elective this time round. I recovered well after the first although it was a little traumatic at the time. Didn't put me off having one this time though. Bit to much detail to but on here but can send you a private message if you wanna know any details. xx

i can imagine an emergency one is quite traumatic... yes please if you wouldnt mind sending me a private message!!

xxx

Are you worried something is going to happen to your baby if you give birth naturally? Is that why you want a section?

Personally I would never choose to have a section unless I was told my baby was at risk if I had a natural birth.

I don't think it is an easy option so don't take the decision lightly hun. It will have implications on your recovery and potentially on any future pregnancies you have.

I will do hun once I've stuck the dinner in. lol. xx

Yeah torino Im worried about birth complications! Im a walking disaster, you know they say oh there's only like a 0.2 % risk of such and such occuring .... well im always that bloody low %!

Yeah i know its a long recovery process and its serious surgery but I could end up having an emergency one anyway...

My anxiety is just through the roof and I think thats gonna have a big impact on a natural birth if i decide to have one, i just wont be able to relax ill be a mess

big decision to make xxx

I had an amazing experiane with my elective section.

The only down side for me was the recovery it did take me a good couple of weeks to be able to get around ok and it was a shock to the system... But I'm sure this could be the case whether you had a natural birth or section.

The operation itself was fine... I was a little shaky but I didn't feel a thing or see a thing as I chose not to see her being pulled from my tummy. My dh was sat right beside me the whole time and I got to hold her very quickly.

I would have a section again happily if I have to with my next baby.

If you have any specific questions I will answer as best I can!

Hayley

I had an emergency section and will be electing next time. I had a 4 day long induction and I was exhausted! Id rather not risk that happening again (or complications with a VBAC) that I'd like to play it 'safe' and plan for a section :)

I also had emergency section and at the time it was awful but I was stressed and scared! Next time round I will be going for elective section I think as I'm worried that my next baby will be bigger than Sophie and they said they doubted I would have been able to get Sophie naturally anyway due to not really having any hips

thanks ladies, sounds like you all dealt with it well. I may private message you at some point hayley if thats ok!!

xxx

I had an emerg section - it was horrendous. I'll be going for a VBAC next time x I honestly don't think a section is easier, or best unless there are complications for sure x i understand your worries about complications, but if it was me I'd try for a natural xxxx

I had a lot of blood loss after my section, it takes longer for your milk to come in after if your breastfeeding xx

I understand planned might be diffrent but as its your first it might be something you want to research of get a second opinion on xx

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

I haven't have one but i can say had a terrible pregnancy but a wonderful labour and healed very quickly, and seeing the other women in hospital healing from a c section i wouldnt want that with how good i felt. One girl didnt want to get out of bed she was in so much pain where as i was walking around half hour after labour, so just keep in mind that not all labours are that bad. xx

thanks ladies, sounds like you all dealt with it well. I may private message you at some point hayley if thats ok!!

xxx

Of course!

I was terrified about having a section. Savannah was predicted to be 10lb 2oz so i had to have a section and was terrified. But it was the best experience of my life so i'm happy to try and console other worried mums to be!

Hayley
x

i just feel like a planned c-section will let me feel calmer about the whole thing and take away my massive anxiety around the birth, i honestly feel like something bad is gonna happen and i think, given the fact that i do have the choice, for me i would feel so much better choosing the less risky option for baby (its not for myself). i completely get that its major surgery and the healing process after can be longer etc but ive have two major ops before and i recovered fine so i know what surgery is like...

thank you for all your comments i like to hear both sides so i have enough experiences to base my decision on

xxx

everybody is different, i don't think anybody can really advise someone on which birthing method they should use unless they are a) the person thats actually going to have to do it or B) A qualified consultant.

All I can say is that with my section i didn't have a choice, But it did make me alot calmer about the birth as a natural birth for me would have been a very unsafe and risky option to choose given the size of my baby and the size of my frame.

Anything that makes you feel calmer about giving birth is definately a good thing!

:)

I had an emergency section and will be opting for a wbac (water birth after Caesarian) next time. I had post traumatic stress and pnd after my section so would really like to avoid it again.

The body heals quicker with a natural birth 9 times out of 10.

If its fear have you thought about hypno birthing? Even if you did chose an elective section it would help calm you on the day :)

Details of my emergency section are posted in Labour and Birth called 'now thats what I call an emergency section'.
My section was horrific, I was critical following delivery and needed 3 pints of blood tranfused.
Saying that, it was very very far from the norm so please dont be put off - have a look at my post, it shows my hospital notes x

Last edited:
sorry ladies who had a bad time with an emergency section i can imagine that must have been awful for you :(

i do however think a planned one is very different!! to be honest different types of birth are good or bad for each individual you can never tell what kind of experience anyone is going to have.

Its not necessarily about birth im scared of, i feel like after everything ive been through i want my baby to come out in the least risky way and that is a c-section....

i know it will take longer for me to recover but i have alot of support around me to help when i need it and im more concerned about baby coming out fine rather myself!!

xxx

everybody is different, i don't think anybody can really advise someone on which birthing method they should use unless they are a) the person thats actually going to have to do it or B) A qualified consultant.

And yes Hayley i completely agree with this! i guess it will be down to just me and my consultant, ill update once ive spoken to them on thursday

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back