ECV Vs C Section

Discussion in 'Labour & Birth' started by diditrix, Apr 29, 2016.

  1. diditrix

    diditrix New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2016
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi all


    i am looking for advice I'm 36 weeks and pip my bump is breech well and truly its the 2nd time she has been. I have to wait for my next midwife app which i will be 36+3. if still breech they say they will send me for a scan to check and then look at offering me a ECV...
    by the time hospital get me in for scan its likely to be the weekend so i will be 37 weeks ... i have looked into EVC and I'm really not sure I'm ok with it. With the % of it been successful and her staying in the right position I'm not sure its worth it.

    I am slightly over weight to begin with, I have SPD and its my first baby... feel like there is a lot going on...


    am i mad to refuse the ECV and ask for an elective C Section??


    what experiences have ppl had??

    I'm going to YORK


    Thanks in advance
     
    #1 diditrix, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  2. babyslog

    babyslog Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2010
    Messages:
    11,541
    Likes Received:
    0
    I believe you can refused an ECV.

    Exactly the same happened to me a few weeks ago. My MW actually missed the fact he was breech and it was me that was convinced. So i booked a private scan as i was planning a homebirth.

    He was breech! So called hosp and they arranged a scan to confirm on their end, again still breech.
    An ecv was booked for 37+6 but the day that came around he had actually turned himself! I went to the hosp, had the monitor for half hr, they did a quick scan before the ecv and he was head down.

    There is sill chance baby will turn themselves, im not even 100% sure when he did it! Which worries me as im now 39+1 and panic everyday that hes breech again!

    With my hosp if u have a planned section for breech they rescan u the morning of the section and if head down i think they can cancel the section and u can go on to have a natural birth if stil wanted xx
     
  3. ne0nbright

    ne0nbright Member

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2016
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    I had a similar situation when I found out my baby was breech.

    I was very much told to have an ECV and that I'd be contacted about it shortly, nothing was explained and after researching it I decided against it and refused. I didn't have any issues with refusal at all :) I just simply said no and they went ahead booking me in for a c-section.

    You're certainly not mad to refuse the ECV if you're not comfortable with it. I figured she was bum first for a reason so I picked the option that spared her any discomfort, as much as I really wanted to have a vaginal birth.

    As babyslog said, they do a quick scan before the section just to confirm that baby hasn't turned :)
     
  4. Lander

    Lander Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2008
    Messages:
    6,187
    Likes Received:
    2
    Have a look on the website 'spinningbabies' for some other potential non invasive options for encouraging breech babies to turn as well if you want some ideas.
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice