Ectopic experiences?

Lou1103

Reaction score
Hi ladies, hope you're all ok, i was just wondering if anyone has had an ectopic and if its similar to whats happening to me and what happens if it is comfirmed.

Last tues i started bleeding very dark brown (it turned bright red sat night and i've had a couple of clots) so went to the doctors on wed who checked and said my cervix was closed and referred me to epau. Had a scan on friday, nothing in womb but i had a thickened lining and a 2cm 'thing' by my right ovary (they said could just be collapsed follicle but could be indication of ectopic) so i they wanted to monitor my hcg levels.

On fri they were 223, sunday 336 and today 545. So theyve increased by 50% and then 60%. Because i'm not having really heavy bleeding and no pain, they want to get more bloods on thursday. My doc said that if they go up to 1000 on thurs theyll rescan me but if not i think theyll assume ectopic. To me it seems obvious that it is ectopic. I'm just so fed up of not knowing :(

Any advice would be appreciated xxx

So sorry Hun, I have no idea what's going on but thinking about you, really hope you get some answers soon xxx.

I just made the mistake of googling! If my fallopian tube ruptures will
It have to be removed?

I think so yes I don't want to scare u but that can be very dangerous I'm surprised they are messing about like they are it's obvious ur bloods arnt doubling like they are meat to but I'm no expert and no very little about ectopic but something isn't right gd luck with everything xxx

I know, the doc spoke to her registrar and said that i was stable so should wait until thursday. But from what i just read it can all go wrong quite quickly. I dont know whether to just ask for the injection? I'm panicking in case they've made a mistake though :/

Plus i'm supposed to be 6+4 and even if i ov'd late i'm sure my levels should be higher than they are :s

Thank you for replying xxx

Yer I think it should be more but hey ya just dint know do ya but if anything doesn't feel right get urself to hospital right away no messing, I know what ya mean I had 3 scans I per 3 weeks just to make sure my baby had stopped growing and I hadn't just got my dates wrong which was possible due to a negative test and a missed period I didn't know where I was , I realy hope ur ok and nothing goes wrong and they sort things out next time u go to hospital xxx

I had an ectopic last May.

I thought i had a period, but it was only 3 days of spotting instead of a normal af. I didn't realise i was pg until i started doing opks as what i thought was cd8 and it was positive straight away. I did a hpt which was positive then, so would have been about 5-6weeks.

I knew that wasn't quite right with the bleeding, so went to epu, my hcg rose but didn't double. After 3 hcgs (slowly rising), then an uss with a suggestion of fluid round one of my tubes, they gave me methotrexate (medical treatment for ectopic). My HCG then still rose for another tense week, and so they got me ready for surgery (they consented me for laparsocopy and possible tube removal), but then the last hcg blood test before i went down had dropped.

Its a really horrible tense time going through this. Don't google whatever you do, its too terrifying. If your tube was close to rupturing, it would be painful. You have to trust the epu, there is rarely ever 2 cases the same and they do this all the time. So sorry your going through this. x

Ahh ok i was worried the pain would only start once it had ruptured so thank you.
I dread the thought of having to have a tube removed, am i right in thinking i'd only Ov every other month or have i got it wrong?

My oh just said i should trust them, they have been really good but i'm worried i'm underestimating the pain or theyre being too laid back.

Google is the devil i just read theyll only give you methotrexate if the baby is less than 3.5cm :s and theyre delaying so im scared itll be too late. Arghhhh!! My mind is all over the place.

Whats the methotrexate like? Do you have to stay in hosp long? I asked them these questions but they said they want to have a clear idea of my results before we discuss treatment. Xxx

Yer I think it should be more but hey ya just dint know do ya but if anything doesn't feel right get urself to hospital right away no messing, I know what ya mean I had 3 scans I per 3 weeks just to make sure my baby had stopped growing and I hadn't just got my dates wrong which was possible due to a negative test and a missed period I didn't know where I was , I realy hope ur ok and nothing goes wrong and they sort things out next time u go to hospital xxx

Aww that sounds awful, i had a mmc but luckily i was 100% on dates so didnt have to prolong it xxx

Hi Hun

I am so sorry you are going through this (big hug). Google searches can really cause a lot of stress - but they are so easy to do and it is only natural that you want to know what is going on. I am terrible - I can't help myself symptom spotting and self diagnosing - my OH hates it!!!!! You are back at the hospital on Thursday - armed with your research, ask lots of questions and make sure you are happy with what they are telling you and what is going to happen next.
xxx

I had similar in January it's a really scary time, they termed mine a pregnancy of unknown location as they couldn't see it on scan and my hcg was 500ish, I had a slight niggle on right side but never really developed to a pain. I thought I was about 5-6 weeks, but like flusstebbs, I had had what I thought was AF and it was only a positive opk on cd 6 that prompted doing a pregnancy test!

They took bloods from me every 48hours and they said either too early to see pregnancy or ectopic my levels rose but nevr doubled and then started to fall.

They discussed surgey and methotrexate I was keen on neither as I felt so well so I waited. The epu were brilliant and I was given strict instructions to go in if I had shoulder tip pain or increasing abdo pain.

To cut a long story short my levels eventually dropped to 120 and 2 weeks later I bleed a small amount - like a normal period. They said I had probably reabsorbed the pregnancy.

I know it's easy to say try not to worry, I worried and cried a lot! But take it easy any pain dizziness or shoulder pain ring them. An try not to google, too many horror stories.

Thinking of you xxxx

Thank you for sharing your experiences. It looks like its going to sort itself out xxx

I feel the same pearl i really dont fancy surgery or the medication :/ it is hard not to worry its so horrible not knowing whats happening!! I think i might get 'good' news tomorrow i think im miscarrying so thats a relief (never ever thought id say that :( )xxx

Ahh ok i was worried the pain would only start once it had ruptured so thank you.
I dread the thought of having to have a tube removed, am i right in thinking i'd only Ov every other month or have i got it wrong?

My oh just said i should trust them, they have been really good but i'm worried i'm underestimating the pain or theyre being too laid back.

Google is the devil i just read theyll only give you methotrexate if the baby is less than 3.5cm :s and theyre delaying so im scared itll be too late. Arghhhh!! My mind is all over the place.

Whats the methotrexate like? Do you have to stay in hosp long? I asked them these questions but they said they want to have a clear idea of my results before we discuss treatment. Xxx

If its looking like things will resolve naturally, then I think that's for the best way for sure. My consultant was miffed that the emergency team gave me methotrexate, he said he thought things would have resolved on their own, however I understand why they did and certainly don't hold any grudges over it. I didn't have to stay in hospital for it, they gave it on the ward and i went home in the afternoon, on the advice to go back if any worsening pain.

Methotrexate itself is not bad at all, but for 6 months afterwards i got every damn bug going at work - 3 bouts of laryngitis included! I did feel very worn out for a few weeks afterwards, but i think that was more the stress of the situation than the drug? Oh, and i shed my skin like a snake the day after the jab!

Its definately a weird place to be hoping to miscarry, but i know exactly how you feel. Hope your through this soon. x

Last edited:
Thank u flisstebbs. The thing that puts me off it is that you cant ttc for 6 months, we're having a break but just not tracking ov (if we do itll be to avoid) i don't want it to be as serious as needing to start contraception. All of that doesnt sound so good either though!

I know i really feel a weight is off my shoulders just hope everything has come out that needs to. If it is all out could i expect to see a drop in hcg by tomorrow? Xxx

When my hcg dropped it really plummeted, it went from 2500ish down to 580ish in 48hrs (having been rising by 50-70% up until that point).

However much I didn't want to put off ttc, it was actually quite good to have an enforced break, really got my head sorted out (it was my 3rd pg loss at that point), I had the tests done while i was on the break too. Got pg second cycle trying again off the pill :), so think my body enjoyed the break!! There's only so much mental bashing you can take at this too. I started seeing a reflexologist too after it was over which really helped to get my anxiety levels down, so when we tried again i was very relaxed. Ok i still had another mc after that, but this one seems to be sticky!

I still think the methotexate is def the lesser of 2 evils if you compare to having to have surgery. Its just a gamble as some ladies still have to have the surgery having had the methotrexate.

Last edited:
What tests did they do on you? Im hoping theyll do some tests for me. Did they find anything? Sorry if thats personal u dont have to answer. Did you have to be referred by your doc?

I know id definitely want to avoid surgery but if i can avoid both itll be great. You're right my head is all over the place, i was considering counselling or something :s

Thats great hun, how far are u now? Xxx

Only thing they found wrong for me was low vit d! And it was a lot of tests. I think it depends on your hospital as to what they do. My consultant had a hunch it was a clotting prob even though the tests were normal. I've been put on blood thinners and i'm now 18 weeks! I also had progesterone in the first 12 weeks.

I hope too you don't have to have either treatment, natural def best. I got some counselling after my 4th mc and wished i'd done it sooner. I got mine through work.

Wow thats good! Im really pleased for u :) So did they decide to do those things before you got pregnant and then u had to go in as soon as u found out?

I might go to my doctor about the counselling xxx

It looks like what i passed yesterday was the baby and the doc said it wouldnt be so formed if it was ectopic. Theyre referring me for tests - me hubby are having blood tests on monday, thats quite quick isnt it? Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back