Eating disorder - binge

kitty2016

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m just interested to see if there’s anyone that’s struggled with an eating disorder during pregnancy?

For as long as I can remember (very early teens) I have what I would consider an eating disorder but have been too ashamed/embarrassed to tell anyone, gain help, a formal diagnosis etc.
Basically, when I’m stressed, sad, anxious I eat. I mean I EAT. I binge eat, it’s always junk food and it’s always in secret. I’m finding myself hiding wrappers or finding an excuse to get time alone pretty much every day at the moment in order to satisfy myself.
I usually know that it will stop sooner or later (it usually comes and goes in a week or so at a time) but so far in this pregnancy it’s lasted about 2 months and doesn’t seem to be slowing down.
My first pregnancy was super straightforward and I was relaxed and excited. This time around I have a 20 month old that soaks up all my attention/time/sleep/energy as well as working and a husband that is hardly ever home. I know this is contributing to the problem and I’m obviously doing it to make myself feel better. I’d say I’m relatively calm about the birth, etc but obviously worried about coping with two young ones and it seems to have spiralled out of control.

I’m worried that I’m almost 7 months pregnant and have put on 2 stone already (and you can really tell) and that my baby is getting too much sugar/fat from me eating so much junk.

Sorry for the essay - just wanted to give you a little insight. If anyone has experienced this please send some words of wisdom as I’m really feeling down about it today. I ordered a chinese last night and as I was scoffing the rest of it for breakfast at 7am I realised I was totally out of touch. my toddler wanted some of it and I said no because it would be bad for him. Then realised what I was doing to myself and baby �� feeling super sad.
Thanks for reading

Last edited:
I have experienced that. I’m a stress eater, anxiety eater, binge eater. I got pregnant 3 months after my sister died and due to my mental state at the time (and subsequent biscuits) , I but on 5 stones during pregnancy. I know it’s an uncontrollable impulse that takes over everything - every rational thought that you have. And it’s all triggered by the hormone cortisol. Cortisol is activates through stress as sleep deprivation. Our answer is to counteract it with dopamine, the other hormone that makes us feel good, and we associate that with eating - some people get it from alcohol, smoking, gambling etc. Some people even get a dopamine hit from how many “likes” they get on FB!!!!
I managed to lose the weight that I put on, but managing cravings is another matter. If you recognise yourself getting to that stage, try to talk to yourself in the mirror, about what it will achieve etc. Go for a walk, go for a bath, drink loads of water....anything to Prevent the cycle.
Last year I started a ketogenic way of eating, there’s no evidence to tell us the effects on pregnancy or breastfeeding so I wouldn’t advocate it for you right now, but it’s really helped me.
Hope this helps xx you aren’t alone

Last edited:
I have experienced that. I’m a stress eater, anxiety eater, binge eater. I got pregnant 3 months after my sister died and due to my mental state at the time (and subsequent biscuits) , I but on 5 stones during pregnancy. I know it’s an uncontrollable impulse that takes over everything - every rational thought that you have. And it’s all triggered by the hormone cortisol. Cortisol is activates through stress as sleep deprivation. Our answer is to counteract it with dopamine, the other hormone that makes us feel good, and we associate that with eating - some people get it from alcohol, smoking, gambling etc. Some people even get a dopamine hit from how many “likes” they get on FB!!!!
I managed to lose the weight that I put on, but managing cravings is another matter. If you recognise yourself getting to that stage, try to talk to yourself in the mirror, about what it will achieve etc. Go for a walk, go for a bath, drink loads of water....anything to Prevent the cycle.
Last year I started a ketogenic way of eating, there’s no evidence to tell us the effects on pregnancy or breastfeeding so I wouldn’t advocate it for you right now, but it’s really helped me.
Hope this helps xx you aren’t alone

Thank you so much for your reply. It’s nice to know it’s not just me. I feel so low about it right now. I’ll be breastfeeding too which is another stress - I know I’m not going to be able to diet or get things under control once baby is here. With my first I lost weight straight away because of breastfeeding but then after about 3 months of slee depravation ended up putting on a stone and a half - exactly what you mentioned about cortisol/dopamine. It makes so much sense. I wish I was stronger!

I think sometimes acknowledging the issue is 100% the first step to overcoming it. Perhaps you’re not in the right place now, but things like CBt can help you develop techniques to help yourself.x

Bless you... this was me.
I'm worried it may be me again tbh!! I was huge and I would binge at any oppurtunity, there isn't really a right or wrong answer but princess is unfortunately right it's a reaction to stress..I was in a TOXIC relationship where I was mentally abused for 8 years.
Any time I would diet or hint at losing weight he'd offer to cook, stock up the house with junk and order takeaways galore! The last time it happened I just said 'NO' I said no to him and I said no to myself and the miserable life I was leading!
You have to find a point in your journey where enough is enough and realise that you CAN change it! I did a course on fitness and nutrition (not everyone's cup of tea) but once you realise what you are essentially doing to yourself it's almost enough to make you want to stop right away!

On the other hand if you do get to this point PLEASE seek professional help from a nutritionist (a real one not juice plus or the like) as I lost the weight so rapidly I went the other way and refused to eat for fear of slipping back to old habits..
My periods stopped and my hair started to fall out because I was over training (over 90mins cardio+60 mins resistance every day) and under eating! (sometimes less than 500cals)
It's a slippery slope for either extreme but there is support and help!!! If you want any ideas on how to curb some of our cravings or at least some meal alternatives please send me a message I would love to help as i've been there x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back