Eating 'bad' foods - help!

celestial123

Reaction score
Hi there

Grateful if one of you experienced ladies can put my mind at rest (or not - it's honesty I need here)

I am in the very early stages of pregnancy, and have just tested positive after missing my period. All good - despite this not being planned it has proven a good thing and I'm really excited while knowing it's still at a very critical stage and I may miscarry. However, I'm also very scared about what I did before I found out I was pregnant.

I must have conceived late November, and since then it's -well- been Christmas. In the run up to Christmas I drank a LOT more than I would usually drink (although not as much as I have some festive seasons due to feeling sick - I did have a few properly drunk, falling over nights with work parties) and I have also eaten some of the soft cheeses you are not supposed to eat whil pregnant, including the blue stuff. I am now worried sick.

I've done a bit of research on the cheese thing, and can't find much agreement on how bad this is. One thing I have heard is that as long as I haven't been unwell myself (I have been fine) then the baby will be fine. Others say it could cause irreversible brain damage either way :(

the booze thing is also obviously a worry.

Please...I had no idea this was going to happen, and really feel awful about it. Can anyone share any experiences?

HI there welcome to the forum.

DO NOT WORRY!

Plenty of people drink before they realise they are pregnant and everything is fine, I had a Christmas and New Years Eve in Thailand before I found out I was pregnant with my first and I drank LOADS.

The cheese thing is also fine, they say to avoid it because of a risk of food poisoning, so if you haven't been ill, the risk is over :)

Personally I still eat some stuff your not meant to... bagged salads and whippy ice-cream and stuff.

Relax, you'll be fine :)

I agree with Urchin. The only thing, try to be gentle on yourself now when you know :hug:

i had no idea i was pregnant until i was 6 weeks, and i was a really heavy drug user :oops: (i quit of course!) yet i hav a healthy happy baby girl. babies are more resilient than u'd think! sadly some women do lose their babies :( but its not likely because of what they have eaten.
just be careful now u know. i kno exactly how nerve-racking it is, as like i said when i found out i was horrified that id exposed my baby to all that shit and i just had to sit tight and hope i hadnt harmed her. but id done a lot worse than ate bad food! im just tryna say try not to worry :hug:

When i was pg with my first i had no idea i was pg till i was nearly 12 weeks (periods had been quite irregular) i was still going out clubbing and drinking loads as soon as i found out i stopped drinking, and i have a very healthy and bright little girl

What an amazing story - that's so encouraging and it's great to see how well you've done. Thanks for replying *hugs*

I was drinking really heavily when I found out I was expecting Aimee. We were going through bankruptcy and having a really bad time and although I had come off the pill I wasn't expecting to get caught after a couple of weeks. Aimee is absolutely fine :D I know that's not the case with all babies but I think most people will admit to drinking before they found out there were pregnant. I was using drugs when I found out I was expecting my first too as she was completely unexpected :oops:. I'm sure everything will be fine hun :hug:

I ate a little pate, stilton, occasionally runny poached eggs, prawn volavonts (sp) and had a glass of wine or two whilst I was pregnant with mine. With DD I was far more of a worrier, with DS I went with the flow lol.

I ate uncooked ham and drunk loads before finding out I was pregnant - I found out just before Christmas but didn't realise I wasn't allowed certain foods... and I went out most nights drinking because I organised charity fundraising gigs in pubs. I had had a miscarriage before and doctors had just started looking into the possibility of me not being able to have children and then I found out I was pregnant. Ryan is perfectly fine. I drunk throughout my pregnancy too but never more than the 1 or 2 units recommended.

I was exactly the same as you last year, I got soooo drunk over xmas period, even going on a bucking bronco one night out on the town, obviously I didnt know I was pregnant at time but Jack is fine as I'm sure your baby will be too :hug: :hug:

Try not to stress too much - being freaked out is probably worse than whatever you have eaten/drunk!
Our mothers never had all these instructions on stuff to avoid and we all turned out OK, my Mum was told to eat pate and guiness cos they thought the high iron was good for preg mums!

I'm sure your LO will be fine, take it easy :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back