EASY Technique

Chezza

Reaction score
Morning Ladies,

A little advice please! :)

What are your thoughts on the EASY Technique?

I like the idea of the structure, but wonder if at 9 weeks old, he is a little too young and I shouldnt have such expectations of him? (They do say you can start from 4 weeks?)

The only problem I have, is that JJ falls asleep on the bottle 95% of the time, so would it be acceptable to do AESY...??

Any feedback, greatly appreciated!! Thank you xxx

Last edited:
Ive just read this book when I was in the hospital and in theory I really like the idea of it. Seemed structuted enough but not crazy strict. Rory is 5 days old but I keep itbin mind. I do think theres merit in it yeah. Although Im still clueless!!!

This was what I was going for when Alyssa was born (nearly a year ago now!) and as long as you are willing to be flexible and not stick rigidly to the timescales you can make it work for you. It's not realistic to expect a baby to go by your schedule, they develop their own wee routines. But when they're about 4 weeks you will know them a bit better and can adapt EASY to suit you. Alyssa did end up having a bottle ever 3 1/2 - 4 hours like the EASY routine suggests, but it was the sleep bit that was a bugger for us!! Turns out (we've learned this after many many sleepless nights) that she just doesn't sleep for more than 10 hours a day - usually about 8 at night and 1-2 hours worth of naps in a day.

This was very confusing for us while attempting the EASY routine as it meant she was messing up the schedule!! So adapt it for your baby.

If LO falls asleep on the boob/bottle, change their nappy straight after feeding which will disassociate feeding and sleep (theoretically!!) xx

Never heard of it, gonna have a quick look on google. Can you give me a rough idea of what it is?

x x x

It stands for Eat, Activity, Sleep, You time and to be honest I think it is a bit cheeky that someone has taken this and identified it as 'their' theory;

Once babies are of a certain age - I'd say about 6 weeks - almost all of them adopt this kind of routine in some way. It may be that they eat, sleep then you have some time to yourself then they like to play when they wake up.

James is very much as eat, play, sleep kind of baby and has been for ages... I'd never heard of this theory until I googled it and it made me lol that someone thinks they invented this routine???

xxxxxx

Last edited:
I read all about it in a book called Secrets of a Baby Whisperer. I found it a good book. Got it on ebay for £5 second hand.

Thanks ladies, i have never heard of this before so need to go and have a read now!

Laurat...can i ask which baby whisperer book you read, i've had a look on the ebook store, but there are loads of them! lol

x x x

It's Tracey Hogg - and Carnat, the late Tracy Hogg has openly admitted that many babies fall into this routine. The emphasis is on structure for mummy to ensure she gets some me time and to separate feeds and sleep for babies so they don't always fall asleep on the bottle. Good for preparation to wean. Have you read any of her stuff Nat? xx

Last edited:
Never heard of this at all... But sounds like W is an EASY baby...xx

It's Tracey Hogg - and Carnat, the late Tracy Hogg has openly admitted that many babies fall into this routine. The emphasis is on structure for mummy to ensure she gets some me time and to separate feeds and sleep for babies so they don't always fall asleep on the bottle. Good for preparation to wean. Have you read any of her stuff Nat? xx

Nope I haven't actually - may give it a bash when I have a mo' - and yep fair play that she was open babies fall into it naturally.

I thought someone had taken credit for getting all babies to fall into this routine :shock:

xxxxxxx

I'm not really sure what H is, i would say he's slowly easing himself into the EASY routine in the day which is great.

But some times it can go a little like EAEASY lol He's starting to miss out one of his morning naps...But when he does eventually nap he goes down for around 3 hours!

I'm gonna download the book now, if nothing else it gives me something to read when he's out for the count :D

x x x

Honestly I hate routines! I wasted so much time trying to get my son to fit into a routine and made myself miserable in the process. As soon as I stopped trying, I realised he had his own routine and now I work around him. I still get time to myself and I do the chores and things I enjoy with my son.

Thanks for the feedback everyone...I think I will worry less about this specific routine and just concentrate more on finding something that works for JJ and I :)

We have actually had a really good day - the best in a long time - he is on his 3rd nap and has had full 3 bottles with no crying or upset whatsoever. Let's hope I havent jinxed that lol! xx

Glad things have been good today Chezza. I'm not into having such a strict routine, just want to get bedtime nailed really! X

How's the bedtime routine going Tinkerbates?? xx

Last edited:
Honestly I hate routines! I wasted so much time trying to get my son to fit into a routine and made myself miserable in the process. As soon as I stopped trying, I realised he had his own routine and now I work around him. I still get time to myself and I do the chores and things I enjoy with my son.

Agreed. O has his own wee routine & the minute I stopped trying to fix it, I realised it was perfect for us just how it is.

Routines have been wonderful for us :)

We did the easy routine (as other said Amelie fell in that routine by herself)

The huge advantage I saw of this routine was that I realized that my baby was much more calmer and was sleeping much better at night when he was regularly napping during the day.

So I did a similar routine but following her thing.
For example the way routine would say up at 7 nap at 8.30-10
Well I was letting Amelie nap how much she wants (never past her bottle time though up to 4 m) so before 4 m I would get her up at 10 for a bottle for example an then if she is still sleepy put her back down to continue napping and after 4 m I would let her sleep 8.30-11 if she wanted but put we down for a we nap 1.5 h after she woke so at 12.30 ifykwim.

A routine was quite important for us, I made sure like that that she had enough naps and enough milk during the day (by not skipping day meals) and I somehow got better organized myself as I knew when she will nap.

Though a very baby led routine we followed I always made sure that she has at least a big long nap and not 10000 catnaps during the day.
So if she would wake at 30 min I would resettle back to sleep for 1 more 1 for examples.

There is no wrong and right with your baby. Routines or not they are constantly changing and you constantly need to adapt to them.

It generally all clicks together at around 5-7 m old.

we did this, it was a perfect description of how to make sure she napped etc at roughly appropriate times as she never just went to sleep when tired so this helped me know when she should plus it wasnt strict and could be adjusted as she grew older. it is really basic and easy to do but it is prett much common sense once you have it figured out its a natural routine, just makes you more aware of where you need to help baby nap etc

I did this with dd1 and it was fab, we are slowly falling into it with dd2 now. I read the baby whisperer book and thought it was excellent, from what i remember about this routine its so that theres no confusion with mum. For example if baby is crying and she has eaten and had an activity then you can be fairly certain she now needs to sleep and is not hungry etc - i think it also builds confidence, well it did for me as a first time mum!

We love routines too. Did it for first and now it's working well again for second. It sounds obvious but it really helped me get to know my baby s cues long before any tears so avoids crying!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back