Earrings

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsT

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to put this, but thought Ask-a-mum was most appropriate.
As per title really - what do you think of earrings in children / babies and what age do you think it appropriate to them to get their ears pierced.

Hubby and I agree on this and I must say we take quite a harsh stand on it. We cannot stand babies / young kids with their ears pierced. I have watched a kid being held down while they have their ears pierced... why??
I apologise if I am offending anyone here, but I think it is pretty vile tbh - there is no reason to have it done - it is akin to mutilation in some ways, plus having earrings in a young child/baby that could come out at any time is surely a choking risk??

Sorry for taking a hard line on this but it is something I feel strongly about - and am interested to see what everyone else thinks...!

PS - I voted teenage years as I am not against ear piercing full stop ( I have 3 in each ear plus 1 at the top!) as long as your child is old enough to understand that it is permanant and it is their choice to have it.

I voted teenager although I got mine pierced when I was 10, I think that was a bit young TBH but I was very persistent with my mum :lol:
I agree with you mrsT, young children ad babies shouldn't have their ears pierced, they aren't dollies!!!

i personally think its when they are old enough to make sensible decisions for themselves. which will varie from child to child.

in some cultures it is the done thing to get a very young baby ear piereced dso id hate to upset anyone by saying it was wrong at any particular age :)

i voted 8 to 12 because i think at that age they r old enough to understand, i hate to see beautiful little babies with their ears pierced but thats just me

budge said:
i personally think its when they are old enough to make sensible decisions for themselves. which will varie from child to child.

in some cultures it is the done thing to get a very young baby ear piereced dso id hate to upset anyone by saying it was wrong at any particular age :)

Budge that's unlike you!

I didn't want to upset anyone, but it is only my opinion.
I am not going to shoot anyone down if they have a different opinion... but I may bite them... :twisted:

I voted 8-12 Emily had hers done for her Birthday she had been asking since she was 5 but we wanted to make sure she could look after them and understand what was going on

I think they should be able to make the decision for them selves

*now backs away slowly from this topic and runs like the wind*

i do think personally that they should make the decision themselves,
That my opinion.

BUT in some cultures its the norm to get kids ears peirced - thats all i was saying. :)

mine will not have theirs done until they have left home or reach 18 - which ever is the sooner :lol:

budge said:

That's what I wanted to say but I couldn't word it right! :oops:

jools221181 said:
budge said:

That's what I wanted to say but I couldn't word it right! :oops:

OK - not to be funny, but just because some cultures do it, does that make it right??...

Some culturees do some pretty gruesome things (female circumcision to name one)...

eek - blame my mood on the Budgies (thanks to Budge for that excuse!)

you cannot compare female circumcision to ear peircing mrs t.

:shakehead: Think I just did :shakehead:

lol - see I was right, I am in a right pain in the @rse mood

No you are right! I personally don't agree with it at all and nothing makes it right at all. It's just that is my opinion and I don't wanna get shouted at by people who have a different opinion to me! :lol:

I had my first daughter's ears pierced when she was 1 but it was hard to keep them clean and turn them as she didn't like me doing it and they kept coming out in the bath,so when i had my second daughter i waited for her to ask,she was only 3 when she asked for earrings and i told her that it might hurt but she still wanted it done so i had them done and she was great and loves them. With Phoebe i will again wait for her to ask for them i think it's fair that way :D xx

jo said:
*now backs away slowly from this topic and runs like the wind*

:rotfl:

i said teenage years, but i have no objection to those who do their kids when they are younger.

I got Diors done when she was 10months old.
i have looked after them well and she has had no problems. i was worried she might pull at them when teething etc but she never has.

i dont think there is any right or wrong age.

mrsT said:
:shakehead:
lol - see I was right, I am in a right pain in the @rse mood

Mrs T, I feel very poorly and am trying to conserve my energy to convince Jason Donovan to run off with me this evening.

PLEASE do not make me have to work! :rotfl: :shakehead:

This is one of those topics that pops up every now and then. I was about 8 and wanted it done. Don't think I'd pierce a little girl's ears earlier casue I'd like her to pick but my best friend had all her daughters done before they were one and I don't think there's anything 'vile' about it.

I voted teenage years, i dont have kids but i wouldnt take them to get any piercing done, i think you have to be 16 to get them done without an adult (in proper places not dodgy shops). My mum took me when i was 12 and got mine done just because all the other girls had theres, i have 8 now so im obviestly not against piercings but im guessing theres a lot of girls pressured into doing it. Like my dad says if the law said you HAD to have a piercing then youd go mad, but youd happily do it because a few other kids said so. :shakehead: im so nieve wish my mum was more strict with me.

I dont like to see babies with ear piercings either, its a personal choice, not something that should be forced, but anyway its your choice to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back