Early scans, no progress. Told to prepare for the worst!!

Qwerty123

Reaction score
Hi all, first post on here!! Sorry it's a long one...

By my ovulation dates (which I track religiously) I am 5.5 weeks pregnant. I went in to hospital last week with cramping and spotting and was referred for an early scan. The scan showed a "cystic space" which the sonographer said was likely an early gestational sac but could not be sure. I had to wait to see a doctor and she took blood and basically said I was having a miscarriage. I was told to expect a phone call with my blood results and then a date to do a pregnancy test to ensure it was negative. So I got a phone call, hcg at 2652 and progesterone 49.7 and told to come in for another scan. I was given another scan the next day by the lead consultant in the early pregnancy unit and she said she felt that the "cystic space" was an early gestational sac but no yolk, foetal pole or anything. She said she could also see a sac type area of blood so to expect some more bleeding and to come back in 3 days for yet another scan. Her gut was that it was a failing pregnancy.

So....went back 3 days later. Had spotting in the meantime but no pain. The sac is still there, a teeny tiny bit bigger (although this could be down to slight inaccuracies in the 2 sonographers measurements) but still no yolk or anything. I now have to wait almost 2 weeks for another scan to see if it's progressed or miscarried. Have been TTC for 18 months and had a previous miscarriage! Boobs are still very sore but I'm convinced i don't "feel" pregnant anymore! :(

Anyone else had anything similar (with good or bad outcomes). The dr said the sac could just be a slow developer but she too said her gut was that it was likely to end in miscarriage. So confused and anxious xx

Last edited:
Have they taken blood again to compare levels? That would give you an idea of whether the pregnancy is viable or not. It is such a hard thing to have to go through with all the uncertainty. It is possible to have a positive outcome, but also possible that it won't be. I don't think there is anything that you can do other than wait and see. I hope it is good news for you, on the positive side you are still very early on and my local epu won't scan before 6-7 weeks as they say they can't accurately see enough to give a definitive answer. Hopefully it will be good news at your next scan.

No they didn't do bloods, I did ask if they would do then again and she said no. But I didn't really question why not....now I've thought about it I don't know why I didn't ask more about why they wouldn't take bloods.

I'm trying to cling on to hope but at the same time I don't want to get too hopeful and have the massive blow if it doesn't work out. Thanks for your reply :) x

Your hcg and progesterone levels sound good enough. I can swe why they are worried by it not growing buy it's very very early. I have a scan at 5.3 on Monday. And I was skeptical when they told me they want me that early as I've always been told you can't see anything until 6 sometimes even 7 weeks.

Thank you. Good luck for your scan, hope everything is OK!! It's gonna be a long 11 days in our house!

It's so so early Qwerty, it'd be a miracle if they did see anything! I'm surprised they didn't just tell you it's too early
to see anything and to come back in a week or two on the basis of it being too early. How many weeks are you by LMP or is there a reason why you aren't going by that?
Xxxx

Hi Elsa16, I've been under the subfertility clinic and have to track my cycles which are long...6-7 weeks so I've been advised to work off ovulation rather than LMP due to ovulating so late. The doc said what she saw was about a 4 week size pregnancy but.... the blood surrounding it and lack of progress between the 3 day scans aren't good signs. She did say it was very early....followed by this is likely to be a miscarriage!!! Such a hard wait in the meantime xxx

It is such a hard long wait. I've done the wait and it didn't end well for me so I hope you have better news. Nothing worse than being in that scan room while they are searching the screen. I really feel for you Qwerty. Is this your first? Xxx

This will be my second miscarriage....no baby yet! :( how about you? Where are you at in your journey? Xx

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I've just gone through the same thing and I'm afraid it wasn't a good outcome. I had a scan at 5.5 weeks due to bleeding and it showed an empty gestational sac measuring approx 4.5 weeks so one week behind. The bleeding continued and I had another scan a week later which showed the sac was still empty and had only grown by 1mm when it should have doubled. A scan a week later showed a slight reduction in size and still no yolk sac or fetal pole. I miscarried naturally yesterday at what should have been 8 weeks. No bloods were ever taken but I continued to see progression on pregnancy tests and my (mild) pregnancy symptoms stayed constant.

I had been trying for a year and I'm 44 so felt like that was my one chance so I know how desperate you must be feeling right now.

All I can really say is don't give up hope, I understand preparing for the worse but I kept a flicker of hope alive the whole time and I don't think I was any worse off for it. If I'm reading correctly you're still only 6 weeks, there are literally hundreds of stories out there of people that have gone through this and had a happy ending. Believe me, I've spent the last 3 weeks living on Google, I think I've read them all. Very best of luck.

Syd43 thanks for your post, I was so sad for you to read what you've been going through. It really is so hard and feels like everything is in limbo whilst you wait for nature to take its course. I'm so sorry that you haven't had a happy outcome but a friend of mine who is almost 46 has just fallen pregnant and is having a healthy pregnancy so don't give up hope. She had been trying for years!!

Yes I should still only be about 6 weeks now but I think I know deep down things aren't right. My pregnancy symptoms have subsided almost completely and I still have a tiny bit of bleeding most days. It's hard to go on as normal waiting to see if things happen naturally and wondering when it might happen. Hope you're coping ok after miscarrying so recently, having been through that before I know how traumatic it can be, so my thoughts really do go out to you.

Maybe baby thanks for that link....very interesting!!!

XxX

Last edited:
God I really feel for you, it's so horrible. I'm ok, thank you, just waiting to start ttc again really.

Not sure if it's much consolation but I was bleeding quite a bit for a week but that doesn't seem to be connected, it certainly doesn't mean you're definitely miscarrying and symptoms come and go. I had a strange combination of preparing for the worst and staying hopeful at the same time.

Please keep us posted.

I know what you mean. I am absolutely convinced I am miscarrying but at the same time still hoping it'll be good news next week....very strange. Will keep this thread updated. Thanks again x

As others have said it might not be a good outcome but its still a bit early to be sure. I am surprised they didn't do more bloods as it might have given a bit more idea. Really though the only thing you can do to know for sure is wait which is so hard. Limbo is almost worse than confirming the worst. I have had two losses, an early one and one at 10 weeks but I have also been blessed with two LOs.

Hugs

Thanks for all your posts :) only a few more days of this horrendous wait left. Been spotting on and off since last scan but no pain and it's not even as heavy as a light period. I have just realised this morning though that I think all my twinges have disappeared....it's only just crossed my mind. Anxiety is constantly at 100% but just focusing on getting to the scan so we can draw a line under it and move on from there. This limbo really is so so hard. Good luck to all of you xxx

Which day is your scan? Good luck and keep us informed how you get on. Hopefully it will be good news for you.

My symptoms disappeared wìth my MCs but the also disappeared totally some days during the early weeks with all my pregnancies so its a bit hard to go off of symptoms as an indication of how things are going. Let us know how the scan goes.

Last edited:
Scan is on Tuesday so will keep you posted. Thanks ladies xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back