Early scan - yes or no??

ArmyWifeTTC

Reaction score
So I am 5 weeks tomorrow and I am 40 in January, 23 stone (I know I know) and first time pregnancy. So I am completely new to this!!

I have my first doctor appt next Fri and the midwife called today, im set to meet her on the 18th Dec (8 week marker). She said that my clinic would not usually send for early scans but that I could go private if I wanted for peace of mind.

Some background- we have been trying for 2yrs and a few months. 2yrs ago to the month we had a loss at approx 4/5 weeks we didnt really know we were pregnant. It put us off trying for a while as I was nervous it would happen again.

But here we are. 5 weeks tomorrow, couple of tiny dots of implantation bleeding just under 2 weeks ago but since then no issues at all. Have the usual sore boobs, nauseous, period like cramps waiting for period to come last week, headaches, dizziness and sensitive to smells etc etc.

I sort of want to do the early scan to put my mind at ease that something is there and its all going okay. But I read in quite a few posts that you dont really see anything anyways at 6/7/8 weeks so could a)be a waste of money and b)let me down anyways and not put my mind at rest.

Has anyone got an early scan? And does anyone have any insight or thoughts on it??

Last edited:
I will be having an early scan at 7+3. I think if you’ve had a bit of a journey to get here then it can be reassuring.

Thank you @Sugarpop I was thinking the same thing. Maybe if the doc doesnt agree to an early scan ill see if I can get one for my 7/8 week point. I actually fly to Spain for New Years so id rather have peace of mine that nothing is wrong before I go

I had a private early scan at 6weeks + 5days as my hubby was going away on tour and we wanted to see if all was okay before he left. There wasn’t much to see but there was a good strong heartbeat, so worth it for that peace of mind!

Having had early scans in both pregnancies at 6 weeks you should see a flicker of a heartbeat and by 8 weeks you will definately see a baby shape.
If you are sure in your dates definately book if it will put your mind at ease x

I'm tracking only half a week behind you. I am seeing GP on the 18th Dec for first appt....was earliest I can get. And we have booked for a private early scan the following day. I will be 7+4 I think it works out as.

Private clinic recommends 8 weeks but when I called she said a song as you 're past 7 weeks that's fine.....and hopefully we should see a flicker of a heartbeat.

We have been TTC for 19 months so I am very anxious at the moment. Hoping the next 3 week's goes quickly so I can get some reassurance x

I’ve booked an early scan for 9+1 which will be January 5th, I’ve done it because I had a mmc at 15+5 in May and I need total reassurance at every step lol, I’m not seeing my midwife for the first time until dec 27th at which point I’ll be 7+6 so I don’t know if they will be booking me in for any early scans or not, she said to me over the phone though that her duty of care unfortunately remains the same!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back