UPDATE: Early scan only gestational and yolk sac present

baby1201

Reaction score
Just looking for abit of advice. I had a vaginal scan yesterday at epu due to stomach pains. I thought I was just over 6 weeks and was hoping to see a fetal pole and heartbeat. However, the lady that scanned me only dated me at 4-5 weeks which I don’t know how that is possible. also, only a gestational sac and yolk sac present no fetal pole present as of yet. Back for a rescan in 2 weeks to see if there are any developments. Has any one else had anything like this?

I’ve seen quite a few people having this issue on this forum, including myself, went for a scan due to pain and spotting at 10 weeks only to be told there was only a gestational sac, mine turned out to be a blighted ovum miscarriage, where a pregnancy happens but no fetus develops, just the sac, there’s quite a few ladies on here who that has happened too aswell, you are still quite early though but I agree if you got your bfp 17th jan (going off your signature) you would be at least 6 weeks along and can usually see a fetus and often a heartbeat, but saying that I’ve also seen ladies having a scan at 6 weeks and no heartbeat seen yet just cos baby is in an awkward position or just can’t be seen, I honestly think it could go either way for you so I would say to be cautiously optimistic, wish I could be more positive and say don’t worry nothings wrong but it does sound like the pregnancy may not be developing as it should if they’ve dated you at 4/5 weeks, I’d rather be honest with you, I really hope it does turn baby is just hiding in there xx

Thanks for your reply. I have to say I’m not feeling overly hopeful about the whole situation. I remember going for an 8 week scan with my daughter though and being put back a week which I couldn’t understand but that turned out ok so who knows. The nurse I saw after the scan was quite optimistic in that a yolk sac was present but I can only think negative.

We have to remember that we may noy have ovulated ehen we thought we did and it's possble to get early and late bfp's so I personally would tend to go by thr scan for dating.

Even at 6 weeks though, lots of ladies still don't get to see more than a sac. I had a private early scan at 6+5 as it was my birthday and I begged as they usually won't do sooner than 7 weeks as it's so normal not to see enough.

If you don't get your period, you have every reason to expect to see a lovely heartbeat at the repeat scan.

Sure, it can go wrong and there will always be women who have it turn into a mc, but you have no reason to fear that based on what you've seen at 6 or less weeks. Xxx

The date of my last period was 12.11.18 I had an early scan due to possible twins, during scan they told me estimated dates and they don't add up at all to my dates but it's not 100% accurate. Got 12 week scan valentines day will see what they say =)

Do you know your lmp and around when you think you concieved? I have late cycles and I have always got very early positive tests. Maybe you conceived right on the last moment and a week after you thought but produced enough hpt to get a positive test? X

I went for my follow up scan today and amazingly there was a baby with a heartbeat measuring 8w 3d so on track with my original dates.

I went for my follow up scan today and amazingly there was a baby with a heartbeat measuring 8w 3d so on track with my original dates.
Ah, this is amazing news. Congratulations xxx

Thanks. I thought updating this thread may help someone else in the same situation in the future. I just found lots of negetive outcomes when I was researching.

See
Thanks. I thought updating this thread may help someone else in the same situation in the future. I just found lots of negetive outcomes when I was researching.

See, I've known so many women go through the same and have a healthy baby, just shy at first, I wasn't worried for you at all. X

Thank you so much for your positive story. I could have written the first part myself.

Went for an early private scan 2 weeks ago. Had been spotting and had some cramping on the right hand side so wanted reassurance. I should have been about 7 weeks but only sac and yolk seen and dated about 5 weeks. I go back for a rescan this afternoon and dreading it.

I’m glad I’ve given you some hope. Fingers crossed for you today, I hope everything turns out ok. It may be that your just measuring abit behind. Did they give you an internal or external scan?x

Glad your baby is growing nicely! I was going to say the exact same thing happened to two people in my pregnancy group. One had a mc and one now has a daughter. There really is no point in scanning before 7 weeks as a heartbeat isn’t always obvious and they’re so tiny - it’s very very easy to measure wrong.

Seen baby with a strong heart beat measuring 8+1 so its grown loads since last scan and more in line with my dates. So relieved.

Wow congratulations! We must both have shy babies on the first scans.

Yes we must. Haha.

Congratulations to you too. We must have similar due dates. They have dated me the 5th October.

Yes I’m the 1st October atm, but I guess they will confirm at the dating scan x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back