Early pregnancy units

Geekachublog

Reaction score
I'm always seeing things on here about people ringing their EPU's, I looked on the website of ours last week and they won't see anyone unless referred from doctor or midwife! :/

Ours is the same you need a referral unless your bleeding heavily

Some did allow walk ins but this has all changed now.
There is so little money being allocated to epus that only ladies who are bleeding or are suspected ectopics can be referred by mw or gp in the majority of areas x

I got referred to my local EPU at 6 weeks due to bleeding and when I was there they said they gave me their number and said I could call through to them direct if I need to again until I am 13 weeks. I think it depends on the area and what the issue is perhaps? xx

It does depend on area but cuts in money mean that all epus will soon be a direct referral service.
Our epu was a walk in service. Anyone could turn up between 9-5 and be assessed, even if you weren't having your baby at that hospital. 6 months ago that changed and they now only accept referrals from GP's or MW's.
I believe this is going to be the case all over the country in the very near future x

It's also referral only where I live. I was told by my EPU 2 weeks ago next time I'm pregnant I need to be referred for a scan when I am 6 weeks pregnant due to my 2 miscarriages I went on Wednesday and they also want me go back on the 17th. For my scan this Wednesday just gone I still had to be referred by my doctor xx

At my EPU at St. Mary's in Manchester, you can just walk in. You can be referred too, but they're very flexible and accommodating and it appears that they will scan pretty much anyone who walks in off the street!

At my EPU at St. Mary's in Manchester, you can just walk in. You can be referred too, but they're very flexible and accommodating and it appears that they will scan pretty much anyone who walks in off the street!

This is unfortunately one of the reasons it is such an oversubscribed service.

People walking in and over embellishing a few little niggly cramps has meant people that really need the service can't have it. I am not referring to anyone here but IRL I know two women that have done this - and it fcuking disgusts me!!

I didn't even know what an EPU was until my first miscarriage. I was referred by GP then seen several times by appointment (my first loss took 20 days to occur so I went back for weekly scans)

Second loss I rang the EPU but it happened on a Friday evening and by the Monday morning they said in the nicest way there was no point.

3rd loss I went as a walk-in.

My EPU kindly saw me with my 4th pregnancy to offer a reassurance scan. I felt terrible taking the appointment but I was under the care of the recurrent miscarriage clinic at the same hospital as EPU and I was assured that as I'd had 3 previous miscarriages I was entitled to a scan. They were fab.

Having gone as both a referral and a walk-in both have their benefits (you are not seen any quicker as a referral either)

xxxxxxxx

At my hospital you can call up and make an appointment or just walk in but if you just walk in you're not guaranteed to be seen. It doesn't have to be your chosen maternity hospital either. You don't need to be referred. This is one of the many reasons I cannot fault my hospital's maternity services. I joined the small demonstration to stop one of the wards being closed and ill do anything in my power for it to keep these wonderful services.

This is unfortunately one of the reasons it is such an oversubscribed service.

People walking in and over embellishing a few little niggly cramps has meant people that really need the service can't have it. I am not referring to anyone here but IRL I know two women that have done this - and it fcuking disgusts me!!

I didn't even know what an EPU was until my first miscarriage. I was referred by GP then seen several times by appointment (my first loss took 20 days to occur so I went back for weekly scans)

Second loss I rang the EPU but it happened on a Friday evening and by the Monday morning they said in the nicest way there was no point.

3rd loss I went as a walk-in.

My EPU kindly saw me with my 4th pregnancy to offer a reassurance scan. I felt terrible taking the appointment but I was under the care of the recurrent miscarriage clinic at the same hospital as EPU and I was assured that as I'd had 3 previous miscarriages I was entitled to a scan. They were fab.

Having gone as both a referral and a walk-in both have their benefits (you are not seen any quicker as a referral either)

xxxxxxxx

Well said, too many people take the piss.
I've seen ladies tell others "just say you're bleeding to get a scan".
It's disgusting x

I'd never say "say you're bleeding to get a scan" at an epu, I did advise someone today that if they're worrying and going to A&E, then lay on symptoms they're already having (ie bleeding/cramping).

I know that scans can show whether you have blood in the uterus, so no point in completely lying about things like that.

I don't think services like this should be mistreated as it ruins it for those that genuinely need it, I freaked out the other night but went to none emergency hospital to get checked out, rather than trying to get in EPU.

They definitely shouldn't be mistreated (if you want an early scan 'just cos' you can get them done privately and there are always good deals on so it's not too pricey) but I also think you should feel comfortable going in there if you are worried about a bleed that you're not convinced is implantation bleeding, cramping that you don't think is normal. I went in there for a slight bleed, they were very understanding, showed me why I was bleeding and reassured me it was ok but to check if it was still the same at the 12 week scan. If I hadn't checked it out I would have been stressing about for another month. The early stages of pregnancy are scary and services like these are amazing, don't mistreat them but use them if need be.

I know people who have lied about bleeding to get a scan at the epu myself it's absolutely disgusting! Having 2 miscarriages myself I know how awful it is waiting and not knowing I wouldn't wish it on anybody. With my scan I was constantly worried private scans aren't cheap we had to pay £99 once to have a scan at baby bond and we had to drive to Birmingham which is over an hour away. Sadly I can't afford now as I have my son and my own place but I hate people that lie not everyone does but I'm sure there's people out there that do and it absolutely annoys me.

My epu was absolutely amazing. I was already a "patient" as the epu is also the recurrent miscarriage clinic, so I was able to phone up and book a scan with them at 6 weeks. I was scanned every week from then until 13 weeks. This "tlc" method of care was crucial to me after experiencing many losses and I was reassured if I ever were to get pregnant again I would be entitled to the same treatment.

If I'm being honest, I do think some people misuse epus. Of course if somebody is bleeding they should be entitled to a scan, but (IMO) I don't think women who have had say, one miscarriage should automatically be entitled to early scans as (unfortunately) it is such a common occurance and they do need to draw a line somewhere.

we had to pay £99 once to have a scan at baby bond and we had to drive to Birmingham which is over an hour away.

We live in Stoke on Trent and had to drive to Lichfield for our early scan, thankfully that was only £60.

I hadn't realized they were so expensive. I live in London so groupon has loads of deals for private scans for around £30 sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back