Early food poisoning and possible listeria threat

Luise

Reaction score
Hello and thank you to everyone in advance for your help and support! I am obviously a newbie here and being pregnant for the first time, not knowing exactly what to expect.

I just found out last Thursday that I was pregnant (3-4 weeks). Unfortunately, not long after the expected time of conception, I had a really bad bout of food poisoning. I suspect it was from a chicken panini, as until that came up I continued to vomit (sorry). Having said that, I ate everything from soft cheese and pate up until the point my pregnancy was confirmed.

Of course since Thursday, I have been googling too much for my own good, not knowing sometimes what I should or shouldn't be eating. The Doctor said to stay clear from refrigerated deli meats and so forth. So I looked this up to find out more, and of course from my findings on food poisoning like listeria, I couldn't help but think that my food poisoning could be a lot more sinister than I had thought before.

I am sorry for being graphic, but it was horrible. Vomiting, diarrhoea, chills, the works. I had total lack of appetite for some time. I am recuperated now, but of course I went in to another GP today to see if any tests could be done or perhaps antibiotics given (not a fan at all, but heard it's quite common to take at one point or another in pregnancy).

I was told that unfortunately I would have to wait two weeks and see what happens. She said to 'keep my fingers crossed', and that the only thing they could do was to react to visible symptoms, at which point antibiotics would be given intravenously. I absolutely appreciate where she is coming from, but I am a little scared. She said that miscarriages are unfortunately very high with listeria, for instance, and that if I hold through the next two weeks then it probably means my pregnancy will be okay. She thought there was a possibility that I had it, and leaving the clinic I have to say I felt a little dejected as no positive could be brought out of the consultation.

Has anyone else experienced food poisoning in pregnancy, and may I ask what it was like? How will I know what kind of food poisoning I had if you cannot test for it? What are the chances of getting something outside of listeriosis from the things I had eaten before I knew I was pregnant?

Is there anything you would recommend I take to strengthen my immune system at this point? I have probiotics I am starting to take, and of course prenatal vitamins. I also have garlic capsules from before.

Please forgive me this long post. This is the first post I have ever put up on-line, and I am thankful these support networks exist as right now I could really use some reassurance.

Thanks for all of your help and input!

Luise

I've got no advice but didn't want to read and run. I'm sure everything will be OK - think of all the people who are pregnant but don't realise then carry on their normal lifestyles none the wiser! I got through several bottles of wine and huge amounts of pate in the first couple of weeks before I realised I was pregnant! FX for you xx

If it was going to affect you ot would have done so by now
Surely they could do blood tests to check your hcg levels are still rising if the pregnancy is progressing ? X

Thanks for the input. Perhaps I should just do some basic pregnancy tests along the way (you know, that makes absolute sense to test the hcg levels up until the scan at least). I appreciate the reassurance :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back