ear piercing, what age?

tiggerbounce77

Reaction score
I was just wondering what everyones opinion is on the ideal age to get your lo's ears pierced?? x

I would always wait until the child is old enough to decide for themselves. That's just my personal choice though! DD decided she wanted them done for her 4th birthday and had been asking for a year!

THere was a thread somewhere about child's ear piercing and it got quite heated! It's very much each paret to their own. I personally would not allow a child under 10 to have their ears pierced. I don't think it looks nice on young children. But, as Helen said above, if they have at least a say/choice that is better than inflicting it on a 6 month old. X

I'm going to wait till we get to secondary school. That's what my mother did with me and I think that your teens are an appropriate time. I wouldn't want to do it before then because children can grab and pull at each other and play rough and tumble and she might end up getting hurt (and I also agree with hopefulmummy that it is a bit wrong to let very young children wear adult things like earrings etc...)

Last edited:
This can be a very heated subject on forums . I wouldn't have my children's ears pierced until they are old enough to be responsible for looking after the piercing and are old enough to ask me to have it done if they want . It really makes me cringe to see young children with piercings .

I had alanna done at 5 months old, a little shocked look on her face, but no crying, no problems afterward, never pulled on them or anything and is good about sitting still if i need to change the backs or clean them

When the child is old enough to decide for themselves - 10 and above I'd say x

Each to their own but for me, when she can ask and understand about it, so probably around 8yrs old.

Yeah there's defo a thread on this....i'll see if I can find it!

I personally wouldn't inflict any pain on my child, certainly not a baby. When they are old enough to decide...yes, until then its not really fair, wether they cry or not.

I wouldn't want to hurt my baby for any reason let alone vanity! So older than 8 years when they can understand it

I'll be waiting till around 10, that's how old I was when I got mine done. In saying that if she asks earlier then I'll probably let her :)

Personally I would wait until the LO wanted it done, understood what they were having done and could managed the hygiene of it themselves. I asked for mine when I was 3! But I'd deffo agree with the others that 10 is a reasonable age x

I personally really don't like seeing small babies/children with their ears pierced. I will wait until Poppy is at secondary school.

i will be waiting until she is old enough to ask for herself (assuming this doesnt happen before she turns 6) but roughly 6 years old earliest!

I agree with most mums here i would say around 10 years old. I dont like the look of them on babies/small children think it can look a bit tacky x

I agree about when they can ask for it and understand what they're asking for xx

Last edited:
I had mine done when I finished primary school and as a treat going up to big school I was allowed to have them done. Which I think I shall do with my LO too. So I'd have been about 12.
But each to their own, personally I don't like seeing babies with it done. I think they're perfect already, why would I want to put holes in her. But that's just me xx

I feel quite strongly about this....

I would NEVER allow Emily to have them done before 12.

13 for me! Why get their ears pierced any earlier??? Just not necessary as far as I'm concerned and doesn't look good either, especially in young babies. Sorry I have quite a strong opinion about it lol :) x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back