Dylan Robert 29/12/11

Mrs CW

Reaction score
I'm finally getting round to writing this!

I had quite a few false starts in the week leading up to my due date which I later found out was because my little man decided to turn from the best position to back to back in the last week or so. The mw said its quite common for things to start and then stop with back to back babies, so by my due date I was exhausted and just wanted the baby to arrive!
On my due date we went to tesco and next and I was having regular contractions about 20 minutes apart but thought they would stop as they normally did. These continued all day and by 10pm I decided to go to bed as I was shattered. I didn't even get to sleep as my waters broke at around 10.30 - at first I thought it was just discharge but it kept coming. I told my OH and rang the labour ward who told me I had 24hrs to start labour and to ring in the morning to be checked. At this point my contractions stepped up a notch! I had a bath to try and help the pain but it didn't and the contractions were coming 3mins apart and lasting about a min, so I phoned the labour ward back. The mw told me I could go in if I wanted but as it was my first she doubted I would be very far along!

I decided to be checked and arrived at the hospital at about 11.30pm and was checked, the mw said she wanted to properly examine me as she could see hair. I was 4 - 5cm which she seemed really shocked at and we were taken to the delivery suite. I hadn't had any pain relief and turned down gas and air as I think I was in shock at the thought of having the baby! About 30mins later the mw came in and offered me the gas and air again which I accepted. They put me on the monitor and the babys heart rate kept on dropping and at times couldn't be picked up. I had to keep changing position but it didn't help so they wanted to put a monitor on the babys scalp. This was the most painful experience of the whole experience and my OH nearly fainted! At this point the mw suggested more painrelief and I decided to have some diamorphine which I found didn't help with the pain but did make me hallicenate (Sorry spelling). The LO heart rate kept on dropping and at times even with the monitor on his head couldn't be recorded so the mw started to prep me for a c section and calling the doctor in. Thankfully his heart rate came back up. At some point around this time (its a bit hazy!) the mw suggested an epidural which I decided to go for especially with the thought that I may need a c section. I'm so glad I had it as they decided to do a blood test on the baby and theres no way they could have done it if I hadn't had the epidural! It came back ok and the Dr said they would check me again at 10.30am. When they checked me I hadn't progressed any further so they also put a drip up to help the contractions.
At about 8am they came to check my epidural as I had some pain, they got me to move and the babys heart rate was unrecordable no matter what position I was in so the consultant was called in. They took a while to come in as the fire alarm was going off! Thankfully his heartrate had come back up! The consultant started talking about a c section again then said he wanted to check me first and I was 10cm and he decided an assisted delivery would be possible. He told us he was 90% confident he could get the baby out safely. The pediatric team was called and they started with the ventose and told me when to push. On the third contraction the ventose kept on coming off and the consultant decided to use forceps. He ended just guiding the baby out with the forceps and at 9.13am Dylan was born weighing 7lb 8 and a half oz. My OH told me we'd had a little boy (as we were team yellow) and the consultant showed me as I hadn't seen. He cried almost straight away and the pediatric team were happy he was ok and he was handed to me. I had to have an episiotomy and the consultant spent what felt like an age stitching me up. It turned out that Dylan had tied a knot in his cord which is why his heart rate kept dropping. I feel like I've missed loads as it seems quite a blur but I think thats everything!

Hopefully I've added some pics x x x

Attachments

• resize dylan hospital.jpg
    resize dylan hospital.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 29
  • resize dylan hospital1.jpg
    resize dylan hospital1.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 25
Congratulations hun he's gorgeous :) xx

Sent from my sparkly new 4s!!!

Congratulations he is absolutely gorgeous! Your birth story practically mirrors my own hun, minus the knot in cord, but it was a very scary time, I'm so happy you are both safe now and you can.enjoy your beautiful boy xxx

He's beautiful! I had to have the head test done twice it is not pleasant! I'm glad u got to avoid the c section tho!

Congrats!

congratulations and what a hard time you had. glad all is well, he is gorgeous! x

Wow what an ordeal! Congartulations hun! :D he's gorgeous! x x

Thank you all. I'm just glad we got through it safe and sound x

Sorry this is late, but huge congrats. He's gorgeous xxx

ahw congratulations! My little Emma had a "true knot" too.. extremely rare and very lucky babies apparantly!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back