Dying hair.. and one more question

ceriannbrown

Reaction score
1) Is this something you girlies are totally avoiding?

I'm actually not vain at all I just really hate having shocking roots. I haven't dared dye my hair since I found out. It's only one of those "nice & easy" blonde ones...

But I don't want to do anything that could be potentially harmful.

People I have spoken to are saying it's fine but the internet seems to say differently. Nothing saying it's REALLY bad but not exactly encouraging it.

I don't mind looking a scruff if need be just want your thoughts!

2) at what stage do you announce to everyone you are pregnant? (i am only 8 weeks but i just want to tell the world!! i hear wait til 12 weeks)

Hey, I'm not sure about the hair dye- I think it's more about potential allergic reactions so if you've been using it before shouldn't be an issue. There is the point of putting chemicals onto your skin but not sure how much that's a problem.

I'm not telling people until I've had my 12 week scan. I'm also now thinking I'll wait another week until I've had the Down's syndrome test as I'd like to get my head round the result of that before I get everyone's attention!

The hair dyeing thing is mainly to do with allergic reactions, make sure you do a skin test first.
Also, keep the dye on as short a time as possible go a well-ventilated room, x

The hair dyeing thing is mainly to do with allergic reactions, make sure you do a skin test first.

Hey, I'm not sure about the hair dye- I think it's more about potential allergic reactions so if you've been using it before shouldn't be an issue. There is the point of putting chemicals onto your skin but not sure how much that's a problem.

I'm not telling people until I've had my 12 week scan. I'm also now thinking I'll wait another week until I've had the Down's syndrome test as I'd like to get my head round the result of that before I get everyone's attention!

Ah ok well that puts my mind at ease then. Sounds like I might be ok. just feeling run down and looking dull and tired.. roots won't help!

Yeah I think i might go with your plan and wait until 12 weeks. looks like we both have almost a month to wait then!! you're due a few days before me. also can I ask... when did you get your call to book your scan? I still haven't heard anything. but yeah best to make sure everything is safe and healthy first I reckon!

:)

Thanks for that :)

yeah my issue is i tend to need to leave the dye on for quite a long time so it goes the right colour. im always in a well ventilated room and I also read you're meant to drink a lot of water as well so i do that (whether it helps or not!). no reactions to things so far.. mainly a huge aversion to all the food i used to love but maybe as you say, do a skin test first! :)

I had a letter through from my local hospital about a week ago which had my scan date on it. I got the letter before I'd had my booking appointment as well so it was abit unexpected to get my scan date that quick!

It's driving me mad not telling people, I'm struggling at work and could really do with people understanding as I'm on my feet all day but I've only told my boss so far. Worst part is cause I've told our parents and we're talking about it with them I'm finding I nearly let things slip with other people that I know are pregnant!

I am 12 weeks. We had our scan yesterday and have announced it today xxx

I've had the shall I dye my hair or not dilemma too! I use a John frieda mousse normally and have to leave it on 45 mins to get the right colour. I haven't dyed it since I've been pregnant and am now 10 weeks. I'm not going to risk it. A couple more weeks wont hurt me. I've actually gone through the greasy/lank/dull period and its now not quite so bad (although my roots are dark!) once 12 weeks hit ill be dying my little ass off!
I think it's personal preference. Just make sure you do a skin test first as you can react differently when pregnant and also colour may take differently.

My question is...... Gradual fake tan. Do I or don't I! X

I asked my hairdresser about this yesterday. she said there's nothing wrong in terms of risk to the baby with dying hair, its just that the colour reaction can be unpredictable, and you can end up with something you don't want!

I normally get my hi-lites in my hair. I haven't been to the hairdressers since I found out I was pregnant. I need my hair cutting so I will have to ask when I go x

Last edited:
I was worried too, but had to do something as we had a wedding to go too. So I just got highlights done.

My best friend is a hairdresser and as long as you do a patch test and apply the dye in a well ventilated room there are no issues with dying your hair xx

I've had the shall I dye my hair or not dilemma too! I use a John frieda mousse normally and have to leave it on 45 mins to get the right colour. I haven't dyed it since I've been pregnant and am now 10 weeks. I'm not going to risk it. A couple more weeks wont hurt me. I've actually gone through the greasy/lank/dull period and its now not quite so bad (although my roots are dark!) once 12 weeks hit ill be dying my little ass off!
I think it's personal preference. Just make sure you do a skin test first as you can react differently when pregnant and also colour may take differently.

My question is...... Gradual fake tan. Do I or don't I! X

Yeah I ended up doing a lot of searching online.. i found nothing to say by any doctor that you shouldn't.. no doctor has told me i shouldnt (and they did tell me not to do other things like eat certain cheeses etc) but then I just couldnt bring myself to do it.

I can't stand to think anything bad could happen because of me not liking having bad roots, seems selfish! So yeah.. I have to wait like 3 or so weeks now and it's already weeks overdue. Oh well. i will feel even better when i do finally do it wont i! haha.

also yeah i dont know about the tan stuff. have you had a search online? i guess asking a doctor or midwife is the best way but im thinking to steer clear of things until 12 weeks! xx

I did mine before I even realised it was an issue! My doctor didn't mention it as something I should avoid and it hadn't even occurred to me till someone mentioned it afterwards. Mine is bright red though so it looks bloody awful when it starts to fade. I think as long as you don't do it too often and you follow all the advice above then it's unlikely to be a problem but I know some people like to err on the side of caution and I completely understand that. I have read that you're better going for a natural / organic dye so maybe it's worth trying to read the boxes to see which sound the least chemical??

My hair is pillarbox red and black. I get it done professionally so ill asks salon, if not then its a short
Pixie style so shouldn't take long to grow out.

I asked my hairdresser about this yesterday. she said there's nothing wrong in terms of risk to the baby with dying hair, its just that the colour reaction can be unpredictable, and you can end up with something you don't want!

This is exactly what my hairdresser advised. I have been having my hair regularly dyed and highlighted since 14 weeks pregnant. I decided to leave it until I was over 12 weeks. Keep an eye on the colour changes as pregnancy can effect the way you react to dyes.

I did mine before I even realised it was an issue! My doctor didn't mention it as something I should avoid and it hadn't even occurred to me till someone mentioned it afterwards. Mine is bright red though so it looks bloody awful when it starts to fade. I think as long as you don't do it too often and you follow all the advice above then it's unlikely to be a problem but I know some people like to err on the side of caution and I completely understand that. I have read that you're better going for a natural / organic dye so maybe it's worth trying to read the boxes to see which sound the least chemical??

ah yeah red is a tough one to maintain i can see why you did it!

mine is blonde. my roots are a boring lightish brown but it looks really really bad. i am 10 weeks on thursday, only 2 more weeks and i'll feel better about doing it. im sure there's no issue at all but i dunno, dont wanna take any chances. got first midwife appt wednesday so can enquire with her too and get a professional opinion! :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back