Dummy advice

stargirl

Reaction score
Sorry if this ends up being a long one but I'm just looking for a bit of advice.

Whilst in hospital and a few times at home I've kind of notice that at certain times it looked like Harry would benefit from having a dummy. I did buy some when pregnant but never really planned on using them as I knew they weren't recommended when bf.

So I didn't give him one. How ever I don't mind him having one if it helps ( hope I am explaining myself ok?)

Then today we were going to visit my dad and Harry really doesn't like his car seat. If he's awake he cries. It's a bit of a journey to my dads and my OH gets a bit worked up when Harry cries and I didn't want him panicking while driving so I popped a dummy in my bag in case

On the way home from my dads Harry started to cry and I could tell he was getting really worked up so I gave him the dummy. He really took to it and fell asleep. As soon a we got home I took it off him and he hasn't missed it.

I wanted to know if you gave your lo's a dummy when bf and if it affected bf in any way. And if you did use one at what age did you introduce it? I know the advice is not to use one till 4 weeks. Harry is a week old today

Any help, advice, opinions would be great, thank you :) x

I'm not sure but wanted to know myself so will be thread stalking :) x

Tapatalking so can't see sigs or click thanks!

My little girl is only 5 days old but at night she just will not lie in her basket and screams until she is brought to lie on me. She keeps looking for her fingers and sucking them, sometimes I'm not sure if she really needs to feed or is just using me as comfort! I keep asking the midwife if I can give her a dummy and she says they don't recommend it until bf is properly established but she also said at the end of the day it's my baby and do what I feel is right! Don't know what to do for the best, so will be looking out for replies!

I know people say this all the time - but do what you feel is right.

Yes, the official uk advice is to wait till 4 weeks, but advice given in the states re the prevention of SIDS recommends use of a dummy from birth, on the basis that even when bf - nipple confusion is so rare that the benefits of a dummy out weigh the risk.

My DD had a dummy at days old, and we had no problems.

Obviously there is absolutely know way of knowing if a dummy will effect bf, but sometimes you just have to try. X

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

We gave a dummy after a couple of weeks, don't know why we waited so long when he just wanted to suck for comfort. He was starting to use me as a dummy and obviously wanted to suck to be comforted. I personally don't believe in nipple confusion from what hv and midwifes have told me .

Go with ur gut- it will be right for u

I gave one at about 6 weeks as F was feeding constantly for comfort and very unsettled when awake. It has made everything less stressful for me an F seems more settled. If it helps your LO and doesn't affect his latch then carry on with it xxx

I think the idea of not using a dummy in the early weeks is because actually it can interfere with feeding cues so you might feed less often. Also it may mean that the baby does less comfort sucking which is difficult to distinguish between true hunger.

Frequent feeding and comfort feeding in the early days is really important to build a good supply. After 6 weeks or so the supply should be established so you can allow baby to comfort suck on a dummy.

I guess it depends on the baby, but true breastfeeding gurus wouldn't recommend it due to the above.

We introduced a dummy around 3 weeks with DS, like you I wanted to wait longer or not even use one at all but I was desperate! It didn't cause us any problems with bf, in fact I wished I'd done it sooner! I only used it sparingly and either to help get him to sleep or at times when feeding to calm him down wasn't immediately possible like in the car/in the middle of tescos lol xxx

We gave Alex one at three weeks old, I hadn't wanted to give him one, but I wouldn't have coped without it when OH went back to work.

Alex would not latch when he was first born, so was bottle fed expressed breast milk for the first two weeks, until he suddenly worked it out and latched fine. He had the dummy a week later and it didn't seem to cause any problems. Alex is almost ten months and I'm still breast feeding.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a dummy from birth if I have another child, but I guess early on I would only use it as a last resort (in the car seat etc.), and make sure that they were still feeding frequently the rest of the time in order to build my milk supply.

With regards to SIDS they are not saying a dummy prevents it, however if you give a dummy particularly at night you must not take it away as the baby's breathing alters with a dummy and you need to keep it going. You should ideally wait 6 week before giving a teat or dummy. It is a little to do with nipple confusion but more to do with the way the baby sucks and shape of the mouth. Sucking on a dummy also uses the baby's energy stores when they are newborn as they are sucking for nothing. However if it settles them and doesn't interfere with feeding carry on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back